Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm
Two days ago, I found her at a church.
I was on my way home from the ER and we stopped at a church so that my boyfriend could call his boss.

I heard a faint meow and I found a cat near a dumpster.
She was starving and thirsty.
If I left her the Texas drought would have killed her. ;-;

Anyway, she is a cute Calico, and she is about four to five months years old.
My boyfriend loves her, and he named her Callie. :3 so creative. I looked her over, there are no ear mites or fleas.
I gave her a bath just in case she had fleas, or flea eggs.
I also wormed her, and I have a vet appt set up to get her fixed and get her shots.

However I already have a kitten, she is about three months old.
And they fuss at each other a lot.
Like my kitten Luna is used to sleeping in the bed with us and when Callie tries to get in the bed Luna goes ape s**t, she hisses and yowls at her.
Callie doesn't fuss at all, she just tries to hide from Luna.
Callie also wants to play with Luna, but Luna wont have it.

What can I do to help them get along?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm

With cats it's tough. I'm sure some people with more experience in animal behavior will come in with tips on how to make it better. Just be careful that Callie isn't getting bullied, it could affect her health and well being. After 6 years of living with 3 other cats that always bullied her, my cat was a nervous wreck. She would run and hide at the slightest noise or movement, and she wasn't very friendly. Luckily, it was nothing permanent and now that we've moved and it's a one cat household, she's really blossomed. She's so friendly and loving, it's hard to believe that she's the same cat.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm
Jealousy and territorial.

How would you like it if a stranger suddenly got on your mamma's bed? Luna wants to defend her territory.

Cats take a long time to get used to each other (Thats my experience). I had the same issue with both my cats. Suki hissed and growled at Hiro when he got on the bed or near her. She even hissed at me after I had hugged him or pet him. Because I had his smell on me. They still don't want the play and Suki is still jealous. Even though we give her as much attention as we always do.

Anyway. To get them get used to each other you can either wait, and see what happens. But this causes stress for both the cats. I'm pretty sure all the option cause a bit of stress anyway.

Or lock Callie up in a room with all the things she needs. Litterbox, toys, food, etc. What I did was keeping the door open for just a little bit, so I had put something against the door. So Suki could still smell him. But not reach for him. And slowly get used to it.

Or. Let both in the same room, one by one. Not at the same time. For example Callie first for a while. Then get Callie out of the room and put Luna in for return. So Luna can smell around, without having a little stranger around her. Get used to the smell, etc. I suggest doing this on a central place/room.

Another option is, get a towel and rub it Luna with it so it gets her smell. Or let her sleep on it for a night. Then take the towel, and rub it over Callie so she gets Luna's smell.

It took us 3 or 4 weeks before Suki would stop growling and hissing. After that got the fighting and wrestling. To show each other who was the boss around this house.

Usually it should go easier with kittens tho.

Good luck. It's good to see you saved a kitty. 4laugh
She's really lucky.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:03 pm
This is Testi, on my main.

The cats are getting along finally.
I put one in a kennel in the living room, we had a huge cage meant for great danes. My house lacks doors of any kind, we use curtains to help keep the house cool due to the drought, makes it easier for the air to flow.
But after a few days in there I let her out and there hasn't been any fighting.
The have been playing and even sleeping in our bed without fighting so I think all is well now.

Thanks for the help. :3

PSM Guild Mule

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm
Subliminal Aftermath

I put one in a kennel in the living room, we had a huge cage meant for great danes. My house lacks doors of any kind, we use curtains to help keep the house cool due to the drought, makes it easier for the air to flow.
The have been playing and even sleeping in our bed without fighting so I think all is well now.

A cage? What a great idea! Really. c:

It's good to know they're finally getting along and there has been no fighting.

How's little Callie doing?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:17 pm
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath

She is doing amazing.
she is putting on weight and I am almost done with her ear mite treatment.

I thought she didn't have any but she kept trying to scratch her ears on the coffee table, so I started treatment just in case.

She does have a bad habit with chewing on wires though, we have been after her with a news paper
She tries to hide behind our TV and behind the bookcase where the power strips are.
I don't smack her with the paper, but I'll smack the wall or something, the noise scares her.
I don't want a BBQ'd cat. D:  

PSM Guild Mule

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:32 pm
Subliminal Aftermath
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath

She is doing amazing.

I thought she didn't have any but she kept trying to scratch her ears on the coffee table, so I started treatment just in case.

She does have a bad habit with chewing on wires though, we have been after her with a news paper
She tries to hide behind our TV and behind the bookcase where the power strips are.
I don't smack her with the paper, but I'll smack the wall or something, the noise scares her.

Making noises is good. They'll eventually relate the loud noises with the chewing wires. The thinner the cords, the more your cat will like them.

"The most vulnerable parts of the cord are where the wire joins the plug or appliance. These sections are not easily protected by cord protection kits. Keep the gaps between any cord protection and the termination points as small as possible. Check them regularly."

Maybe even tape some cords down so they won't dangle.

Spray or wipe down cords with something distasteful to the cat. There are commercial product solutions and homemade solutions. If making your own, consider using such things as hot sauce; lavender oil; a homemade citrus or vinegar paste; garlic, cayenne pepper, or chili oil or paste, etc. Be sure to let the applied substance dry completely before replugging the cord into the wall and you'll need to reapply homemade fixes periodically. Avoid using anything salty because cats love licking salt.

Try tin-foil, double sided tape,
Wikihow Has a lot of information you might want to use. Like kitty-proofing your cords.

Make sure Callie is distracted so she doesn't chew on the wires.

Whenever my cat scratches the wall (Why did we ever use wallpaper anyway?) I get my laser pointer or a shoelace to get her distracted. Or I clap my hands to make hard noises. - She still does it when we're not home.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 pm
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath

She is doing amazing.

Making noises is good. They'll eventually relate the loud noises with the chewing wires. The thinner the cords, the more your cat will like them.

"The most vulnerable parts of the cord are where the wire joins the plug or appliance. These sections are not easily protected by cord protection kits. Keep the gaps between any cord protection and the termination points as small as possible. Check them regularly."

Spray or wipe down cords with something distasteful to the cat. There are commercial product solutions and homemade solutions. If making your own, consider using such things as hot sauce; lavender oil; a homemade citrus or vinegar paste; garlic, cayenne pepper, or chili oil or paste, etc. Be sure to let the applied substance dry completely before replugging the cord into the wall and you'll need to reapply homemade fixes periodically. Avoid using anything salty because cats love licking salt.

Wikihow Has a lot of information you might want to use. Like kitty-proofing your cords.

Whenever my cat scratches the wall (Why did we ever use wallpaper anyway?) I get my laser pointer or a shoelace to get her distracted. Or I clap my hands to make hard noises. - She still does it when we're not home.

I'll try tin foil, I have a few extra boxes left over from when I put foil on the windows to keep the heat out of the house.
I have never met a cat that likes chewing on metal.

Xd Callie is a troll cat, she likes to walk on me while I'm asleep, or lay across my face.
She even has Luna doing it.
They also like to get up directly in my ears and purr or make an annoying meow noise. =,=
Usually I can yell "quit trollin' "and they get the idea to quit.
Like when they start eying down my fish tank.  

PSM Guild Mule

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:45 pm
Subliminal Aftermath
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath
Dianda Panda
Subliminal Aftermath

She is doing amazing.

I'll try tin foil, I have a few extra boxes left over from when I put foil on the windows to keep the heat out of the house.
I have never met a cat that likes chewing on metal.

Xd Callie is a troll cat, she likes to walk on me while I'm asleep, or lay across my face.
She even has Luna doing it.
They also like to get up directly in my ears and purr or make an annoying meow noise. =,=
Usually I can yell "quit trollin' "and they get the idea to quit.
Like when they start eying down my fish tank.

Let me know how it goes with the tin foil. surprised

Haha, My cat Suki used to do that too. Until we got her fixed.
Haha, "Quit trolling" hilarious. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:27 pm
That's so cute! I hope they'll get along better soon.  

Yirah

Mega Hero

11,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 pm
LOL Your fish tank has cat issues, huh? We have, or rather HAD that problem too, until I started leaving the tank lid open. Our 10 gallon tank fits perfectly on top of a [smaller] bookcase and has no area for cats to leap up onto other than the [closed] lid of the tank. When I started leaving the lid open, it appears cat doesn't like landing in the tank of water rofl so apparently we don't have any problems with cat messing with the fish anymore ... so far, at least! xd

So glad you rescued Callie! She's really lucky you found her in time! With both cats still being kittens, they just may adjust to each other sooner. I have 2 adopted cats who often have issues with each other, but it's the female who's always picking on the male and it's usually around feeding time. He was established here a few years before we took her in, so she's had to make her place in this household. It's been a couple of years since we got her and for the most part, they tolerate each other and even chase each other back and forth while running up and down the stairs once in a while. But still, every now and then, a short and quite vocal cat fight can be heard in this house when he retaliates her power plays. Par for the course of having one friendly, laid back male (Siamese mix), and one over-bearing female (dark/tortoise-colored calico).
whee  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff