Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Omnomnom! ( Food discussion & Recipes) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I...
  Love to cook!
  Like to cook.
  Am indifferent.
  Don't usually get a chance to prepare food.
  Like cooking, but am a terrible chef!
  Don't like cooking, and am terrible at it.
  Burn everything. EVERYTHING. Even water.
  Am a picky eater.
  Will try anything once.
  Will eat just about anything.
View Results

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm
Pretty much everyone enjoys eating, and a lot of people enjoy cooking. I thought it might be nice to have a thread where you can share your favourite recipes, or just talk about what you love to eat.

I enjoy trying new foods and I find cooking to be a good way to destress after being at work all day. I rarely eat meat and generally try to eat healthy, so I'm always looking for creative meal ideas. (Of course, don't hesitate to share meat-based recipes...vegetarianism isn't for everyone, and a lot of meat dishes can be adapted, anyway!)

So, omnomnom!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm
Oh my gosh, I'll eat just about anything... eek And sometimes I pay for it. Like just today I was eating some General Tso's chicken and some white rice, when I spotted this dark red pepper hidden among the sauce. The first thing I thought was "Oooooo!" and without hesitation popped it into my mouth. Well, I have no clue why I thought this was a good idea, because in mere seconds my entire mouth/throat was on FIRE. burning_eyes I just remember hacking really loudly (keep in mind that I'm in a college food court) and no one even cared... crying And it seriously took me about 20 minutes to stop coughing my lungs up. Also, cherry Fanta helps NOTHING.

But anyways, I'll eat most foods and I'll try just about everything. Sadly, I don't cook much (I have this weird paranoia that I'll mess up, coupled with this equally strange, almost OCD habit of having to diligently follow EVERY little direction..).  

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm
I tried something new tonight, since we are kind of short on groceries, but it turned out to be surprisingly good.

Cabbage Stir-fry with Cranberries. (Serves 1-2, depending on your appetite.)
1/4 cup cabbage, sliced very thin
1/4 cup sliced bell pepper
1/4 cup diced cucumber
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 small whole-wheat pita, sliced into 1/2" slivers
About 5 thinly sliced cranberries
Lemon juice (optional)

I added about 1 tsp of oil to a non-stick pan, and set it over medium heat and tossed the lot into the pan until the pita started to crisp, then sprinkled a bit of lemon juice on it.

It was quite good, and I am kind of surprised.

Another one that I like:

Udon Noodles with Tofu (serves 4)

2 packages cooked udon noodles OR
3/4 lb dried udon noodles
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1tbs + 2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbs + tsp rice vinegar
4 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
2 tbs canola oil
3/4 lb bok choy (about 4 cups sliced cross-wise)
1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (bellas work fine, too)
1/2 lb extra-firm tofu, cubed
2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (garnish)

Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil and add the noodles and cook. (Prepared noodles only need a minute or less to loosen up, dried probably take around 8 minutes.) Transfer to a colander and run under cold water. Drain well and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix the chicken broth, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, and 2 tsp of the sesame oil.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the canola oil and ginger. When the ginger has been sizzling for about 30 seconds, add the bok choy and mushrooms. Sprinkle these with the rest of the sesame oil. Toss after about a minute.

After 3-5 minutes, add the broth, carrots, and tofu and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer until the carrots are soft and the tofu is cooked through (about 5-7 minutes).

Portion your noodles into your bowls, then spoon the soup over top and garnish with the scallions. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:37 pm
The Ouroboros Alchemist
Oh my gosh, I'll eat just about anything... eek And sometimes I pay for it. Like just today I was eating some General Tso's chicken and some white rice, when I spotted this dark red pepper hidden among the sauce. The first thing I thought was "Oooooo!" and without hesitation popped it into my mouth. Well, I have no clue why I thought this was a good idea, because in mere seconds my entire mouth/throat was on FIRE. burning_eyes I just remember hacking really loudly (keep in mind that I'm in a college food court) and no one even cared... crying And it seriously took me about 20 minutes to stop coughing my lungs up. Also, cherry Fanta helps NOTHING.

But anyways, I'll eat most foods and I'll try just about everything. Sadly, I don't cook much (I have this weird paranoia that I'll mess up, coupled with this equally strange, almost OCD habit of having to diligently follow EVERY little direction..).

Ouch. :s My friend grows her own peppers (among other things; I'm never short on fresh produce in the summer), but I like to refer to them as Russian Roulette Peppers, since some of them are totally mild and others are really hot. Makes cooking interesting, since many of them look the same. x3

Try cooking entirely without a recipe. It might end horribly with something nearly inedible, but most people are pretty good at figuring out what they like. 3nodding  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm
Taeryyn

Ouch. :s My friend grows her own peppers (among other things; I'm never short on fresh produce in the summer), but I like to refer to them as Russian Roulette Peppers, since some of them are totally mild and others are really hot. Makes cooking interesting, since many of them look the same. x3

Try cooking entirely without a recipe. It might end horribly with something nearly inedible, but most people are pretty good at figuring out what they like. 3nodding

Why does Russian Roulette Peppers sound like a fun cooking game to play..? xD

I'd almost be afraid to cook without a recipe, I can see myself like, USE ALL THE SPICES!!!! Plus I'm extremely messy, and I am NOT going to clean our dorm building's kitchen... >:3 But when I go home I shall try!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm
The Ouroboros Alchemist

Why does Russian Roulette Peppers sound like a fun cooking game to play..? xD

I'd almost be afraid to cook without a recipe, I can see myself like, USE ALL THE SPICES!!!! Plus I'm extremely messy, and I am NOT going to clean our dorm building's kitchen... >:3 But when I go home I shall try!!!

Well, maybe pick a single spice that you like and work a dish around that. x3 I like squash with nutmeg, for example, or fish and lemon-pepper.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:42 pm
I love food! Sadly, I don't get a chance to cook much. But I always make homemade cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving! It's pretty simple. Get some cranberries, water, sugar, and (this isn't necessary, but nice to have) another fruit. Sometimes I use apples, oranges, lemon zest, or a combo of them.
I come from an Italian family on my dad's side so I love to help him by harvesting the basil we grow in our garden. I do sometimes like to help my parents when we make stuff. I always help make cakes when it's someone's birthday in the house, and sugar cookies, blonde brownies, pumpkin-choco chip cookies, and jelly cresent cookies around the holidays.
For the entree dishes, I usually help make pesto, garlic bread, meatballs, pizza, calzone, and a few other things.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:49 pm
Well I tend to burn even toast...but I've made pasta with meatless meatballs (vegetarian) without failing at it, and honestly that's my biggest accomplishment.
eating wise I love anything with cheese or potatoes. my friend's mom made the best potato soup ever and I got addicted to it. that and mashed potatoes. Love them both. well before I go on about potatoes....  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 pm
CheizLord
Well I tend to burn even toast...but I've made pasta with meatless meatballs (vegetarian) without failing at it, and honestly that's my biggest accomplishment.
eating wise I love anything with cheese or potatoes. my friend's mom made the best potato soup ever and I got addicted to it. that and mashed potatoes. Love them both. well before I go on about potatoes....

I heart potatoes too!!!! blaugh The only thing I don't like that's potato-related is potato salad... >.> It's so gross...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:09 pm
The Ouroboros Alchemist
CheizLord

I heart potatoes too!!!! blaugh The only thing I don't like that's potato-related is potato salad... >.> It's so gross...

ah, I enjoy all kinds of potatoes, ironically one day I realized I'm mostly Irish.. potato famine and all.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm
I love potato salad. biggrin I think my mom's potato salad is one of my favourite foods in the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 pm
I love to cook, but I don't do it that much. When it comes to food, I will try anything once. One of the best parts of seeing different cultures is trying their delicious food.  

bollier

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:05 am
bollier
I love to cook, but I don't do it that much. When it comes to food, I will try anything once. One of the best parts of seeing different cultures is trying their delicious food.

What are some of your favourite foods from other cultures? :3 I love Indian food.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 am
Taeryyn
bollier

What are some of your favourite foods from other cultures? :3 I love Indian food.

I love Chinese food. I also spent a month in Morocco, and their food is absolutely amazing! Sushi is a definite favorite of mine as well.  

bollier

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm
Normally, I'm not a fan of necro'ing threads, but this is my own thread, and it's in the off-topic subforum, damnit. emotion_donotwant

Greek Tofu Scramble

Makes 1 serving.

-1 block firm (or extra-firm) tofu
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-1/2 cup chopped scallion, including the green end (1 large one, or 2 small) {In a pinch, diced onion with some green onion works just fine}
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 cup tightly packed chopped fresh spinach
-2 or 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese

1) In a shallow bowl, lightly mash the tofu with a fork so that it resembles the texture of scrambled eggs. Set aside.

2)Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the scallion, garlic, and oregano for 30 seconds, and add the spinach. Cook, stirring until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. The water that remains on the spinach from washing should be enough to cook the spinach.

3) Reduce the heat to low. Add the tofu, and gently stir until the mixture is warm, about a minute. Stir in the feta cheese, and serve immediately.  
Off-Topic

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff