Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A 17 year old dating a 14 year old Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
I approve!
55%
 55%  [ 38 ]
I do not approve!
27%
 27%  [ 19 ]
I WANT GOLD!!!
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 69

Uejji Fito

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 am
I'm a 17 year old guy. Dating a 14 year old girl.

And this has been a controversy at the theater I work at for months.

Now it's just getting on my nerves, people aren't minding there own business,

they keep talking saying how weird it is, but BLAH!

We kept it a secret from her parents the whole time, the reason why is;

I didn't want them automatically shooting down the idea of her dating me, without getting to know me.

So we secretly dated, and I secretly grew closer to her parents for them to get to know me, that way I had a fighting chance of getting them to agree.

We are quite the opposite in personal lives, but we balance each other out REALLY well.

Here's the arguement in right's and wrongs from my perspective, and other people's perspective.

In My Defense:

】: She is actually mature for an average 14 year old, and not in the bad way.
】: We only see each other in the theater we both do stuff at, not outside, ever.
】: My last 3 relatioships ended for the same 3 reasons
---------❶: Depression [chronic depression]
---------❷: Theater [I'm there wayyy too often]
---------❸: Going too fast [Usually hit sex in under 6 months]
However, with her, I was forced to go slow, it was good for me. It was something that I needed, so that way I can still be the boyfriend that I am, without the temptation.
】: She is a happy spirit which I need in my life, getting rid of the depression part. We both do theater, so that crosses that out. And when w barely see each other, plus her age, I'm forced to go slow. [IT'S PERFECT!]
】: Because of my personal lifestyle, I don't feel like a 17 year old, I feel like i'm in my late 20's. She makes me feel like a kid again, she makes me feel my age.
】: I have done alot of bad things in my life, I'm a different person then who I used to be, and now, I can look out for her, protect her, and keep her away from the bad decisions.
】: We take care of each other, and based our relationship off honesty. She has actually taught me alot in the 3 months we've dated.
】: I have quit smoking, and slowed down the drinking because of her. I have also changed my eating habbits, and started working out more because of her.

】: I wanna be a doctor is the mental field. A psychologist, so despite my physical features, or my personal life, I have ambitions, and goals.

The arguement against us

】: She is 14....and I am 17. She is 2 years and 10 months younger then me.
】: Her parents don't think she is ready to date, even though she has done an AMAZING job so far [better then the last 3 bitches...]
】: Because of my personal life, her friends don't trust me to do a good job...
】: Everyone thinks the maturity levels are too great.
】: I am, a 17 year old who doesn't beleive in religion, is not a virgin, smokes, drinks, has tattoos, is a HS dropout, likes metal music. She is a Christian raised in a Christian family, a virgin, who is quite innocent, thinks tattoos are dumb, and a average BC student, who likes pop, rock, and music she can dance too.

Yes, quite opposite, but we love each other. =]

However, her parents eventually found out, and "made us" break up. Telling her s**t like "you'll thank us later" "love's not a game" "you shouldn't date until you're ready to marry" "you're too young". Even though they have no idea what has gone on between me and her, so they don't know what kind of a girlfriend she is, or what kinda boyfriend I am.

I'm turning 18 in February, and trust me, I woulda ended our relationship once I turned 18, cause then there could be some complications legally. I'm not pissed that we have to break up, cause I knew it would happen eventually, I just wish it was on our terms, not when someone said too. Her parents do like me, they said we can still see each other, hangout, whatever, just can't date. But it's still ******** annoying.

So, what are your opinions???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 am
Plus i've got great hair.................

Uejji Fito

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 am
lol love the great hair comment xd
anyways i think it's fine. it's less than 3yrs. which is the difference between my parents. and not a lot more than the differnence between me and my ex. i personally think love's fine at any age as long there's less than a deade between. then it's gets creepy for me. i don't have anything against it, good for people and love at any age but yeah just for me.
and yeah i can understand you wanting to end it on your own terms. a lot better than being forced to do anything.
(oh yeah and you all sounded like a good match even if it was only for a short while)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 am
i dont see a problem with it too much. at your ages it does seem to be pushing it though since im sure you realize a 14 year old is alot different than a 17 year old.

my husband and i are 6 years apart but because we are adults the age difference doesnt seem nearly as large a gap as if i was 12 and he was 18. though i can still make him feel pretty old since i dont remember anything about the 80s lol

anyways if she is good for you and makes you a better person then thats fantastic and worth trying to keep the relationship going  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Art Greylace

Dapper Cutie-Pie

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:56 am
I don't think there are legal complications with dating. But there are legal complications with sex... And you seem to not be going for sex, so that's good.

Now, I gotta say, I'm glad to hear the "Older guy's" side of the story because there are lots of silly little fourteen-year-olds talking about their boyfriends who are years older and sometimes, I wonder what the guy is thinking.

There were a few things that struck me-

One- It doesn't sound to me like her parents are worried about you specifically, which makes me feel like *Well, ******** them very much.* And as far as their objections to you go, I bet they'd be a lot happier with some religious idiot who was your age.

Two- "you shouldn't date until you're ready to marry" is creepy. Really creepy. To the contrary, getting a few nice dates in when you know you're not ready to be having sex+kids+marriage is good, and if she's mature enough to realize that at age 14 all she wants is to experiment, that's a GOOD THING.

Three- It seemed like all you were doing together was hanging out. Maybe a little kissing. All they seem to have crossed out is the kissing- and it may help you to separate without too many tears shed.

Four- You're a high school dropout who wants to be a doctor? GET BACK IN SCHOOL! Seriously! Like now! Even part-time! (my older sister, for reasons of her own, did adult school part-time for years, and she's now a nurse. It's doable)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am
Many people say this, and I would agree.
"Age is but a number."

When you're 25, she'll be 22, and then it won't seem like a big deal to people anymore.. I think when people are under the age of 18 people take offence to it more.
I see nothing wrong with it at all,
and it seems like you both have a beautiful relationship.
Opposites really do attract smile  

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150

Valkyrie-Chii-Chan

3,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 am
My boyfriend and I are like 5 years apart and we met when I was 14 years old. We're still very happy. Just take things slow and everything will turn out well, age is just a number smile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:37 am
Sounds fine to me.

Well, when people are younger, age gaps seem so much bigger because of the maturity levels and such, but from what I hear, I'm sure it's fine. Hey, I was mature for a 14 year old.

BleedingInkXIII

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am
If you love her as much as you seem, stay friends. Then when she's 17 or 18, start dating again. The age gap will seem like less as you guys get older. And it'll seem less once she's of legal age. Dating now means her parents could slap you with statutory rape charges.. and as a doctor, you can't have that kind of record else you can't be a doctor.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am
Sounds fine to me. My parents have an 11 year age gap (the the other hand, they met when my mom was in her 30's and my dad in his 40's, so not as big a deal...)

But it's less then 3 years, which is when I believe the legal complications come into play.  

SyFy Girl

Oh Asobi

Sparkly Genius

11,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:30 am
When i was 14 I had a bf who was 22, I see no problem if it's the right fit.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 pm
I don't know why but I got teary reading this. crying

Anyway, the problem I see here is pretty much "parents' mind" and the daughter-complex issues. In terms of the legal issue, 17 dating a 14 is completely fine as long as it doesn't involve sex. The legal issue only said it's against the law for a grown up to have sex with underage kids, but not dating. And since you are taking things slowly, I don't believe that's a problem.  

Toriki-chi

Lunatic

Soul Love-chama

Fashionable Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
There are age differences all over the place. My parents are at least 6 years apart from each other, and I'm about a year older than my current boyfriend. There's nothing wrong with dating a 14 year old girl. I really don't see the problem in the age of a person.
She seems like a good person to be around. If she's made you turn your life around, then I don't see why you don't stick around with her. Taking things slowly is a good thing. Plus, if she makes you happy, then why are people griping about it?
You remind me of Romeo and Juliet in way. Technically speaking, Juliet was 12-14 when she met Romeo, who was in the same aspect 17 or 18. Again with the age thing, but still that's normal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 pm
When I first read it I thought it said a 17 year old dating a 4 year old (and i freaked out until i read it again) Psh I think it perfectly normal, unless its an abusive and hurtful relationship. Plus I plan to make Vic Mignogna my man-slave and he's 49 > biggrin  

Yuki_no_Joo

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm
It may seem like a huge age gap right now, but once you get older, it won't be. In the long run, it's not creepy.
If you want to know a relationship that IS creepy, I can name a few examples:
Hugh Heffner and Crystal Harris (he's 82, she's 23)
Doug Somebody and Courtney Stodden (he's 51, she's 17 [but I think she's actually like 30 but she said she was 17 because she wanted attention])
Anna Nicole Smith and Some Old Rich Guy (he was in his early 80s, she was in her mid-20s)
But yeah, 3 years apart isn't creepy at all. When I was three, I "married" my neighbor who was like five or six (It was kind of just a game we played, long story) When she's 20, and you're 23, it won't phase anybody in the least. It seems like you guys get along-- you're showing her it's okay to have faults, and she's showing you not to have to many of them. Once you get a little bit older I'm sure nobody will disapprove anymore.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff