Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Homelss Volunteer Center doesn't allow gays or lesbians? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Flying Mako

Invisible Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am
A good friend of mine told me about this. I raged when I heard that. It's Christians' bigotry that make people like me feel unwanted in the world. Oh and I didn't have enough room in the title, it should say "Homeless volunteer center doesn't allow gays, lesbians, or transgenders.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:06 pm
Which volunteer centre? :/

Christians hardly have a monopoly on bigotry, by the way, and speaking from experience, not all shelters run by churches have a problem with LGBT volunteers.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:14 pm
Taeryyn
Which volunteer centre? :/

Christians hardly have a monopoly on bigotry, by the way, and speaking from experience, not all shelters run by churches have a problem with LGBT volunteers.

And where?

True, Christians don't have a monopoly on bigotry, but turning people away from a shelter isn't exactly the Christian thing to do. I don't care for the hypocrisy of situations like this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 pm
so just because of someones general or sexual orientation they won't let them help at homeless shelters? aside from the complete and utter prejudice isn't that a little counterproductive, like biting off your nose despite your face? The more the help they can get the better.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:23 pm
Hm, that's odd. There's a homeless shelter that was founded by a local Catholic priest in my city. I don't believe he was a homophobe or anything, he even supported an Anglican woman when she became a pastor in her church. And what exactly can LGBT people not do in this shelter; live there or work/volenteer there? I've never heard of this, nor has it ever come to my mind, much like when that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" thing got brought up, which forbade openly LGBT people from serving in the army. When I heard about it, I was like "What?! You mean they weren't allowed to serve in the first place? I thought anyone could serve!"
I'm getting off-topic, as usual. Anyway, the state I live in is pretty tolerant about differences, so I dunno if the shelter near me is the one you're talking about.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:43 pm
I'm sure there are plenty of other homeless volunteer centres that are ready to accept LGBT volunteers. And just because it's Christian doesn't mean they hate homosexuals, so when you see one, don't be put off by the fact that it's Christian.

But back to this homeless volunteer centre. Yes, it is not very Christian to turn someone away when they want to volunteer, but maybe they have interpreted the Bible in a different way. There are several ways in which to interpret the Bible and in some interpretations, yes, it would say homosexuality is a sin. And in their interpretation, LGBT people would be unable to go to heaven. Maybe this centre just has its principles in a different order as to say that "sinful" people who can't go to heaven, even if they repent, should not be able to volunteer, and then help can be accepted from other sources.

I'm not sympathising with the decision of this volunteer centre. I'm just trying to see it from their point of view.  

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

The Flying Mako

Invisible Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:15 pm
I'd have to ask about where it was. It was a Gaia friend of mine. But I don't have a problem with Christians in general, I just don't like their opinions on gays, lesbians, and transgenders. Do they really think "god" would craft people who are damned to "hell" from the day they are born? Could some one explain this to me?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:55 pm
She Promised You Cookies
Maybe this centre just has its principles in a different order as to say that "sinful" people who can't go to heaven, even if they repent, should not be able to volunteer, and then help can be accepted from other sources.

Problem then is the concept of "original sin" that so many Christian denominations like. We're all born sinners according to them. If that's the case, no one could volunteer there.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Rapscally

O.G. Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:36 pm
xXWeMakeWafflesXx
I'd have to ask about where it was. It was a Gaia friend of mine. But I don't have a problem with Christians in general, I just don't like their opinions on gays, lesbians, and transgenders. Do they really think "god" would craft people who are damned to "hell" from the day they are born? Could some one explain this to me?

some of them do lolol

it's religion, homie

it ain't gotta make sense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 am
sazed
xXWeMakeWafflesXx

some of them do lolol

it's religion, homie

it ain't gotta make sense.

Some feel that being LGBT is a choice.

Of course, if that's the case then being straight is a choice. So anyone that says LGBT is a choice should be pissing off straight people too.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm
xXWeMakeWafflesXx

You do understand that not all Christians have the same beliefs, right? There are plenty of Christians in this guild, for example, so I think you ought to be able to answer your own question.

For future reference, unless you're talking about something that is definitively shared between all Christians (belief in God or Jesus Christ, for example), there isn't much that "they" all believe.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:03 pm
Oh I know they all don't believe the same thing. I was mainly talking about the Volunteer Center  

The Flying Mako

Invisible Citizen

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 pm
Lady Kayura
She Promised You Cookies
Maybe this centre just has its principles in a different order as to say that "sinful" people who can't go to heaven, even if they repent, should not be able to volunteer, and then help can be accepted from other sources.

Problem then is the concept of "original sin" that so many Christian denominations like. We're all born sinners according to them. If that's the case, no one could volunteer there.

Well, I was mainly referring to this verse:

Quote:
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

So my best guess was that since homosexuality was easier to weed out than adulterers and drinkers, they decided to focus on the LGBT community.

Once again, I am not saying that this is a justification for their actions. I am just saying that this is probably one of the principles held by this centre.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm
She Promised You Cookies
Lady Kayura
She Promised You Cookies

Well, I was mainly referring to this verse:

Quote:
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

So my best guess was that since homosexuality was easier to weed out than adulterers and drinkers, they decided to focus on the LGBT community.

Once again, I am not saying that this is a justification for their actions. I am just saying that this is probably one of the principles held by this centre.

Still makes them hypocrites.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 pm
If you know they aren't all the same, then don't insult all of them by making needless generalizations. razz  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff