Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Is this a good Mali Uromastyx dietary web site? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 pm
My mom called me from the grocery store asking what buy for Rex, as she had been feeding him Spring Mix and Yellow Squash all week, and she was naming off what little they had, and most of what they had was on this web site, under the leafy greens section (the variety sucks at that particular store some reason), so she ended up buying him some arugula (what ever that is...) and another squash. I'll be buying him a Cactus Pear this weekend too, so that he can try one of those.

So what do you thin about this site? And the schedule they have at the bottom? And any other over-all general thoughts smile

http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/uromastyx/uromastyx-diet  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:48 pm
I do not know anything SPECIFIC to Uromastyxes, but I think that site looks GREAT and has really given me a lot to consider in regards to my beardie's diet.

It looks very reliable and I would definitely trust it. I am bookmarking it now!  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 am
Kipluck
I do not know anything SPECIFIC to Uromastyxes, but I think that site looks GREAT and has really given me a lot to consider in regards to my beardie's diet.

It looks very reliable and I would definitely trust it. I am bookmarking it now!

Their diets are very much the same as Beardies. This web site pretty much takes everything that other websites only hit bits and pieces on, and combines it all together.

I'm still not sure on how to feed beans. Would I soak them in water, and let them get mushy, or crush them up in to little pieces?

Its a good thing that it says Mali's are picky. I always thought Rex was just being as spoiled pain in the but XD  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 am
Akari_32
Kipluck

Their diets are very much the same as Beardies. This web site pretty much takes everything that other websites only hit bits and pieces on, and combines it all together.

I'm still not sure on how to feed beans. Would I soak them in water, and let them get mushy, or crush them up in to little pieces?

Its a good thing that it says Mali's are picky. I always thought Rex was just being as spoiled pain in the but XD

i would soak them. if they are too hard they may end up damaging the inside of his mouth. plus you dont want him eating till he is full then the beans expanding a bit while inside of him  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:54 am
Shanna66

i would soak them. if they are too hard they may end up damaging the inside of his mouth. plus you dont want him eating till he is full then the beans expanding a bit while inside of him

Awesome, thanks! The website wasn't very clear on that lol I bought him a cactus pear (its in the fridge because they were all pretty ripe), and I'll try giving him some beans, and see what he thinks smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 am
Akari_32
Shanna66

Awesome, thanks! The website wasn't very clear on that lol I bought him a cactus pear (its in the fridge because they were all pretty ripe), and I'll try giving him some beans, and see what he thinks smile

i miss making salads for my old beardy. bugs are easier to keep on supply in my house but i miss having a good escuse to bring veggies and fruits into the house. my husband and i are going to get scurvy one day lol  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 am
Shanna66

i miss making salads for my old beardy. bugs are easier to keep on supply in my house but i miss having a good escuse to bring veggies and fruits into the house. my husband and i are going to get scurvy one day lol

It definitely is fun! The hard part is buying a healthy variety, buying something the humans will eat, and not buying too much, at the same time LOL  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 pm
Akari_32
Shanna66

It definitely is fun! The hard part is buying a healthy variety, buying something the humans will eat, and not buying too much, at the same time LOL

variety was always my issue when i had my beardy  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:02 pm
Shanna66
Akari_32
Shanna66

The stores are sucking too, so its been hard for my mom to buy him what he needs. They have all stuff that shouldn't be fed on a regular basis! So he gets a lot of Spring Mix salad, yellow or acorn squash, and cucumber, with seeds ever other day, and the occasional bit of apple or pear, and zucchini. Its so hard to find stuff for him :/

On a side-ish note, PetSmart has a bag of dried Veggies. Have you seen those? What are your thoughts on them? I'll try to find a link to it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:09 pm
Heres the veggies I was talking about:

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/food/reptile-munchies-vegetable-mix.htm  

Akari_32

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:23 am
Akari_32
Shanna66
Akari_32
Shanna66

The stores are sucking too, so its been hard for my mom to buy him what he needs. They have all stuff that shouldn't be fed on a regular basis! So he gets a lot of Spring Mix salad, yellow or acorn squash, and cucumber, with seeds ever other day, and the occasional bit of apple or pear, and zucchini. Its so hard to find stuff for him :/

On a side-ish note, PetSmart has a bag of dried Veggies. Have you seen those? What are your thoughts on them? I'll try to find a link to it.

the only thing i dont like about dried foods is they tend not to have as much nutrition in them, at least with freeze dried bugs, ive got no idea about veggies, they may be ok but ive really got no idea, sorry

one of the exotic vets i used to go to keeps beardies and he buys everything in bulk, mixes the salads, then freezes them and thaws them out when needed.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 am
Shanna66

the only thing i dont like about dried foods is they tend not to have as much nutrition in them, at least with freeze dried bugs, ive got no idea about veggies, they may be ok but ive really got no idea, sorry

one of the exotic vets i used to go to keeps beardies and he buys everything in bulk, mixes the salads, then freezes them and thaws them out when needed.

I heard that you shouldn't freeze lettuces and such because it reduces their nutritional value?  

Akari_32

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 am
Akari_32
Shanna66

I heard that you shouldn't freeze lettuces and such because it reduces their nutritional value?

im not sure, i dont deal with veggies much anymore for animals and he wasnt the best reptile vet in the world  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 am
Shanna66
Akari_32
Shanna66

im not sure, i dont deal with veggies much anymore for animals and he wasnt the best reptile vet in the world

Lol yeah, its not good lettuce and leafy greens. Other stuff, I don't really see why not, though.  

Akari_32

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 pm
Shanna66
Akari_32
Shanna66

I know how you feel. I credit my tortoise and beardie primarily with keeping my family healthy and eating salads. (*I* can't eat them anymore. Raw veggies are on my bad list. stare ).

Akari_32
Shanna66

Mine don't have much of a variety right now. Our grocery stores don't carry chickory, chard, etc right now. So we get by on Spring Mix most of the time. I FINALLY am feeding enough salad eaters that the greens don't go bad before I use them up.

Akari_32
Heres the veggies I was talking about:

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/food/reptile-munchies-vegetable-mix.htm
My biggest problem with those is they are very pricey for the amount of veggies you get. You would get a lot more frozen squash and such at the grocery store.

I think lettuces and other greens lose nutrition freezing, but squashes and other veggies do not, so that is a good way to go.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff