Submit

Illustrious Verse

Beloved Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 pm
i love stories that involve fairies, fairy tale elements and wondered if anyone had any recommendations since winter break is upon us and i'll have time to read.
one of my favorite books as of recent has been wildwood dancing by juliet marillier as an example.

looking for rewritten novels that are based on fairy tales and novels dealing with fairies as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm
Glimmerglass by Jenna Black.
It was a VERY good book. I'd recommend it if you haven't read it yet.

Quote:
Dana Hathaway doesnt know it yet, but shes in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides shes had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl, she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie.

Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she'll never have a chance with...until she does. Caught between two worlds, Dana isn't sure where she'll ever fit in and who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

LacrymosaVampiress22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 pm
Ink heart i bleieve is a series of fairies. i read the first book and its good. i might ahve the name wrong tho.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:57 pm
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa is really good. It involves Summer and Winter Courts, Mab, Oberon, hot Fae guys, and of course a love triangle...

Tithe, Ironside, and Valiant by Holly Black is pretty good too...

LunaSetsunaHime

Tsiklop

Dapper Humorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:10 am
faerie wars chronicles  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:16 am
Rewritten faerie tales. Oh goodness, I've read so many I can barely remember them.

There is one book you may like, not very well known, called Beauty. It deals with adult subject matter but has an interesting scifi twist. It's about the girl who should have been Sleeping Beauty as she gets kidnapped by time travelers, wonders around, between the human and faerie realms, and acts as the catalyst to the major princesses: Cinderella, Snow White, and of course Sleeping Beauty.

Also, the author Gail Carson Levine, rewrote many great fairy tales including one you may have heard of: Ella Enchanted, which I can promise you is a million times better than the movie! The book is like the show Avatar:TLAB compared to the movie (The Last Airbender).

There was also this one really awesome book but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. The book starts with a basic Grimm faerie tale (I think it was Hansel and Gretel) where at the very end of the story, the female protagonist turns back to the antagonist, instead of continuing on with their "happily ever after", and asks the antagonist why they did what they did or what brought them to this point. The antagonist then tells their story which starts the next tale which is another Grimm story and works it's way down though they did throw The Little Mermaid in there somewhat, a land-based version. I barely remember the details of the stories anymore and I don't remember the order at all but all the stories are connected in a "C is caused by B which was caused by A" kind of way.

You may also want to look up Piers Anthony and his Xanth series. It is a very punny series (U C wat I did thar?) almost on an SNL level while still holding a serious and dramatic story.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

vxrs

Liberal Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:28 am
Illustrious Verse
i love stories that involve fairies, fairy tale elements and wondered if anyone had any recommendations since winter break is upon us and i'll have time to read.
one of my favorite books as of recent has been wildwood dancing by juliet marillier as an example.

looking for rewritten novels that are based on fairy tales and novels dealing with fairies as well.

Fablehaven series.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 am
I'm not sure if the series has a name but there's some books by R.J. Anderson, I've read Knife and Rebel by her and they're quite good  

Wolf-keybearer

Sparkling Shapeshifter

16,650 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100

StrayKit

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:37 pm
Melissa Marr's stories are really good, three main ones and 2 on the side
O.R. Melling's are really good too and are a ltitle similar but take place in Ireland and i find them IMPOSSIBLE to put down, but that's just me XD  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:45 pm
Hands down Blue Girl by Charles De Lint

Valiant and Tithe is pretty good too but someone already suggested it  

Dapper Song Bird

L4uren

Tipsy Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:52 pm
The "Wings" Series by Aprilynne Pike.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 pm
hex hall has some faeries in it i believe.  

Em is asylum

5,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Signature Look 250

Miss Silverblade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 pm
I noticed it was said already, but Tithe, Ironside, and Valiant are wonderful books about fairies. I can't exactly remember which order to read them in, but I do agree that those are good one.

Also, the Need series by Carrie Jones, I really enjoyed.
Need, Captivate, and Endure.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 am
I absolutely love Faeries as well. You could always read Artemis Fowl, which is technically a childrens series but I enjoy them quite a bit. Or you could try The Golden Book of Faerie by O.R. Melling which has 4 books in it. The Hunter's Moon, The Summer King, The Light Bearer's Daughter and The Book of Dreams.

Also if you have a Kobo, there are plenty of Fairy tale compilations for free at their store. Though in reality you don't even need a kobo, you could just read them on your computer.

Prelude to Murder

Shadowy Bibliophile

evesse

Beloved Seeker

13,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:51 am
Thanks for this. I'll have to buy some of these books.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff