Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
How did they react? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bad Bigby

Wheezing Werewolf

8,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:00 pm
how did your family and friends react when you told them your sexuality? Are you planning to tell them?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 pm
I never told my mom haha she assumed and was right.
She was shocked and surprised at first when I agreed but now she's fine with it.
She's met my boyfriend but kinda acts off which is understandable, its new to her.  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

Watashi No Kami No Kaze

2,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:20 am
I told my mom I like girls when she broke up with my dad and got a girlfriend. I told my dad when I came home with a girlfriend. He told my grandparents and I'm officially not welcome into their house anymore evil  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:06 am
Oh where to start?

In January I told my mother I was transgender because I knew my ex would try to use it against me in the custody hearing for our children. Her first question was, "So, are you gay?" I told her I liked other girls, so technically I was a lesbian (a half-truth, I'm bi). And she said, "Oh, that's good." *facepalm*

And as I got more and more open about who I am and eventually came out to everyone, my mother has been in denial. She has told me I'm wrong, this is a phase, this is all because of what my ex put me through, I'm just trying to escape my problems, blah blah blah. But my parents maintain that they don't want to lose me, even though they disagree with me completely about who I am. So I guess that's good I haven't been disowned.

My friends and coworkers have been AWESOME. I expected some negative reactions and have yet to really see any at all. Everyone supports me, encourages me, and tells me how much I inspire them.  

Kara_99

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:56 am
Mom is cool with it, even told me she's had girlfriends before. On some level she doesn't fully believe me. And I still find it hard to talk to her about it.

Dad, ha ha ha ha. That's funny. I love my Dad and he loves me. But that is not something he is going to know until I can't hide it anymore. Cause i get into a relationship with a girl I am not going to pretend she's just a friend when he's around.
I did once, (though we both hid the relationship) and almost did it again. And it hurt.

And i'm not fully out of the closest it yet, still some questioning going on. :/  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm
my mom is okay with me being bi but not sure about my dad. my friends are okay with it but I think I will just keep it half in the closet and half out for now.  

jankh27

Greedy Cat

7,000 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

iChaosLod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:55 pm
My Dads side of the family is fine with Trans, They all guessed it before I could tell them anyways.
I Told my mom whom i don't have a good relationship with to begin with so I was expecting her to disown me but shes fine with it, She says she wanted a girl anyways. >.>

I'm not going to tell anyone on my moms side cause I know they'd disown me and I don't wanna risk losing them yet.

Basically anyone who's open-minded is fine with it... Oh and Non-religious people! I found that if you tell people whom are really religious they think you well.. you know.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm
well when i told my grandma she yelled at me about not have grandchildren and ect. but she apologize but we dont talk about it sometimes she makes me think she forgot about it because she talks about my best freind Ashley like i like like her or something its weird so ya.... life is a b***h sometimes sweatdrop

but im open to everyone pretty much unless there like the future KKK member or something but coming out is opposite of what u would expect  

rayray1123

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 am
iChaosLod
My Dads side of the family is fine with Trans, They all guessed it before I could tell them anyways.
I Told my mom whom i don't have a good relationship with to begin with so I was expecting her to disown me but shes fine with it, She says she wanted a girl anyways. >.>

I'm not going to tell anyone on my moms side cause I know they'd disown me and I don't wanna risk losing them yet.

Basically anyone who's open-minded is fine with it... Oh and Non-religious people! I found that if you tell people whom are really religious they think you well.. you know.

I'm very religious. I'm Wiccan, and I actually disagree with Christianity. HIGHLY. Wicca welcomes everyone, of every race, sexuality etc. So I'm very open minded smile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 am
Okay, so.

I told my mum after I participated in making a sign for the "NOH8" campaign on Twitter. Google it if you'd like to know more.

And I told her that "NOH8" is a campaign of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual youths supporting each other.
Then I told her: "I'm bi and I have a boyfriend".
Then she asked me: "What does Bi mean?"
I told her: "It means I like men and women."
She said: "I don't like it..."
She said that a lot. One day, I met her in town after school. She took me out to buy a new coat and possibly an early Christmas present (this was around early December).
We were coming out of a shop and she said: "I don't like you being bi"
I replied: "It's not a choice..."
Then she said: "Yes it is".
I just walked off, angry. I wasn't in the mood to explain. That was a very awkward day for me.

At first, I was very mad at her. Since she seemed to see me differently and I thought she'd be very unaccepting, but, now she's very supportive and has come to terms with it.

No chance I'm telling my dad. I don't get along with him anyway and me and him are barely close.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

GiovannieStorm

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 pm
I never really got the chance to come out, because my cousin found my myspace (lame, I know, but it was at the time when myspace was popular) and he printed the WHOLE page and sent it to my mom. O.O ... It said a lot of things about me that no one knew.
My mom confronted me, and I didn't try to deny it and I just said it was the truth. She didn't say anything about it, but at the time I had a therapist and he told her I was going through a phase. -.- Phase my a** lol.

Anyway, years passed by and still we never talked about my sexuality. Until a year ago when I couldn't handle it anymore, because I felt like she was pushing me away and not caring. I wrote her a long letter, explaining why I was suicidal and that I was gay (she thought I was bi) and all none sense.

I sent it to her and she received it on her phone, she was also in college ... that night when she read that message ... she left in the middle of class and left the college, came rushing to my house crying and she told me she loved me no matter what. She didn't care that I liked men or women. She loved me just as I was. (I started crying like a baby too)

And yeah smile

Everyone else in my family is very supportive of me. My aunt was a bit skeptical at first but then she came around. :3 I don't think my grandma knows, because she's a bit religious, but I think if she knew then she would still love me.

So yeah ... everyone was supportive. :3 ... My mom doesn't like it when I act like a girl though lmao. So because of that reason, I act "Straight" ... Gosh. Moms.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:20 am
Well I came out to my friends first and they were all supportive, I heard later that one wasn't but she still put up with me anyways which in a weird way means more to me. I feel like I was a major jerk to her, and stuff happened that's a massive regret for me.

When I came out to my parents, they were okay with it, they needed time to come to terms. But at the time I was so relieved they weren't angry or casting me out, they did say one thing though which in retrospect was a bit horrible.
"it's not what we would have wanted for you" they also asked me allot if i was sure, and I kept saying "Yes"
I told them all this before my first boyfriend, I thought it was better for them to get used to the idea, and it would make things easier for my bf and hopefully less awkward. I think it worked, they know and are at least outwardly showing approval of my bf, they often ask how he is.

My Parents told my Grandparents for me, I had gone home from holiday with them early and my parents said that they needed to know and that they would take care of it. I heard nothing of it till my parents got back, they then sat me down and told me that my grandparents were told and at least they were honest and said the first thing they asked was if I had considered therapy. "....." was my reaction.

Anyways everyone has been positive biggrin super happy, though this weekend I'm meeting up with my grandparents for the first time since they were told, they've not contacted me at all. Wish me luck, because I'm honestly terrified and don't want to make anything awkward between the family.  

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm
Zinochi

My Parents told my Grandparents for me, I had gone home from holiday with them early and my parents said that they needed to know and that they would take care of it. I heard nothing of it till my parents got back, they then sat me down and told me that my grandparents were told and at least they were honest and said the first thing they asked was if I had considered therapy. "....." was my reaction.

Wow. What is with adults and therapy? It's not like they can medicate your sexuality out of you.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm
AliceSense
I never really got the chance to come out, because my cousin found my myspace (lame, I know, but it was at the time when myspace was popular) and he printed the WHOLE page and sent it to my mom. O.O ... It said a lot of things about me that no one knew.
My mom confronted me, and I didn't try to deny it and I just said it was the truth. She didn't say anything about it, but at the time I had a therapist and he told her I was going through a phase. -.- Phase my a** lol.

Anyway, years passed by and still we never talked about my sexuality. Until a year ago when I couldn't handle it anymore, because I felt like she was pushing me away and not caring. I wrote her a long letter, explaining why I was suicidal and that I was gay (she thought I was bi) and all none sense.

I sent it to her and she received it on her phone, she was also in college ... that night when she read that message ... she left in the middle of class and left the college, came rushing to my house crying and she told me she loved me no matter what. She didn't care that I liked men or women. She loved me just as I was. (I started crying like a baby too)

And yeah smile

Everyone else in my family is very supportive of me. My aunt was a bit skeptical at first but then she came around. :3 I don't think my grandma knows, because she's a bit religious, but I think if she knew then she would still love me.

So yeah ... everyone was supportive. :3 ... My mom doesn't like it when I act like a girl though lmao. So because of that reason, I act "Straight" ... Gosh. Moms.
*sniff* that was beautiful.... lol  

Bad Bigby

Wheezing Werewolf

8,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Zinochi

Wow. What is with adults and therapy? It's not like they can medicate your sexuality out of you.

I know, but they honestly deep down they want what they think is best for me, and it doesn't matter what we think, they believe it works. They also believe being LGBT is immoral, but that's the time they came from. I don't believe we can truly change their beliefs but what we can do is prepare the younger generation, make and shape a better and most importantly safer world for those who'll come after.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff