Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
A long overdue picture update of Bandit *Now with video!* Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm
Here are some pictures I took of Bandit after he's been on Wellness Core for about 4 months and just before I switched him over to Orijen. I meant to post these a while ago. I got really busy with school and forgot to until now. I also wish I had taken some pictures of him just before I started him on the diet and Wellness Core. He has lost more fat weight and gained more muscle since these pictures were taken. ^_^

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 pm
aaaawwwwwwww hes cute smile  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:33 am
I wish you'd taken before pics too! I dont remember how old he is, but if it wasn't for that grey in his face, if you just did a body shot, I'd have sworn he was 3yrs old.

The awesome thing about these grainless diets, (especially Acana/Orijen) it's like a magical food. Forgive me for being in love with this company, but, I've had customers who ridiculously scrawny dogs fatten up on this food and overwieght dogs who slim down too. I think carbs, not fat, is to blame in the majority of overweight dogs, and yet, all the light foods address fat by putting more carbs. In fact, I'm thinking of switching Cowboy off the Senior onto the grainless fish. I seem to recal him doing really well on the grainless ACANA, and maybe his activity level played a part, but he lost a lot of weight around the time he switched from FROMM to the grainless ACANA. We'll have to wait till next month though cause I still have a lot of food lol, I'll let yall know how that goes. And I am UBER anxious to meet the reps for Orijen/Acana, I'm gona be like a starstruck fan lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 am
@Cowgirl: Thanks! I was having a hard time getting him to stay still for those too. He wanted no part in getting pictures taken of him that day. lol

@Gabrielle: He's 8 years old. He'll be turning 9 on March 28th. Now that he's on Orijen, he's acting way younger than he is. He has more energy now than he did as a puppy! I'm in love with Orijen as well! XD I'm giving him the all life stages formulas, and he's doing great on them! What treats he does get are grainless! biggrin I can't wait to hear how switching Cowboy onto the grainless Acana works for you! I too am anxious for you to meet the reps for Orijen/Acana! I wish I could join you! ^_^

Also, the last time I went to the feed store that sells Orijen near where I live for my mom to get more ToTW for Country and Jonny, I saw that Orijen had won the award for being best pet food of the year again! biggrin I was so excited to see that! It made me even more proud to be feeding Bandit and Charcoal their food! biggrin It made my mom proud to be feeding Boots, Tigger and Patches Orijen. She wishes they could afford to switch Country and Jonny to Orijen. At least they're still getting a good quality food. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:50 pm
The award from the glycemic research institute? Wow, that's like, 4-5yrs now? Awesome. Acana/Orijen definitely our best selling food. Probably more so Acana since it's more affordable. Their fish formulas have sssooo much omega 3, it's almost as high as the science diet arthritis diet. Only downside is a couple of dogs seem to get sick of it after one or two bags, it's just so fishy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 am
Yep, that award! biggrin I couldn't think of what company the award was from when I posted about it. I was excited to see that they had gotten it again! biggrin

I had to pick up another bag of Orijen yesterday because he's low on the last bag, and I got him the fish one. biggrin He has so far loved their food too! biggrin I'm having a lot of difficulty getting him to slow down with eating it, lol. I've even tried handing it to him a little at a time, but he still scarfs that down too. lol Any ideas on how to get him to slow down on eating?  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Yep, that award! biggrin I couldn't think of what company the award was from when I posted about it. I was excited to see that they had gotten it again! biggrin

I had to pick up another bag of Orijen yesterday because he's low on the last bag, and I got him the fish one. biggrin He has so far loved their food too! biggrin I'm having a lot of difficulty getting him to slow down with eating it, lol. I've even tried handing it to him a little at a time, but he still scarfs that down too. lol Any ideas on how to get him to slow down on eating?

Ya, the ONE downside is their kibbles are a bit smaller than I like. Well, averahe size, and I like big kibbles. Anyway, to slow him down, I recommend spreading the food out over as big a surface as you can. So, basically, don't bother with a dog bowl. You can buy a large placemat with an edge around it. Or, just well...throw the food across the floor sweatdrop This is also going to work on his natural skills as a forager, it's a fun pass time for dogs.

Another option, if you don't want to be stepping around kibbles in your kitchen in the morning. Is the tricky treat ball. Or other food puzzle toys. I think Savage has the AIKIOU, I haven't tried that one yet myself. Cowboy has the tricky treats and where he would normally eat his food in about 20secs, it instead takes him 20mins. So I quite like this one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

Ya, the ONE downside is their kibbles are a bit smaller than I like. Well, averahe size, and I like big kibbles. Anyway, to slow him down, I recommend spreading the food out over as big a surface as you can. So, basically, don't bother with a dog bowl. You can buy a large placemat with an edge around it. Or, just well...throw the food across the floor sweatdrop This is also going to work on his natural skills as a forager, it's a fun pass time for dogs.

Another option, if you don't want to be stepping around kibbles in your kitchen in the morning. Is the tricky treat ball. Or other food puzzle toys. I think Savage has the AIKIOU, I haven't tried that one yet myself. Cowboy has the tricky treats and where he would normally eat his food in about 20secs, it instead takes him 20mins. So I quite like this one.

Both are nice ideas. biggrin I'll give them a try. I have a puzzle ball I haven't used in a while. I'll try it if I can ever get the thing open lol. I'm trying to get it open now and it's a pain to open... I might get the other one if it's easier to load. He gets fed in my room because he finishes his food so much faster than Country and Jonny, and he'd try to take their food after he's finished. I'll also pick up a mat that I could scatter the food across and do that too. Give him some variety of ways to get the food. ^_^

I just looked at the Aikiou one and it looks like it would be a fun way for him to get his food too! biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

Both are nice ideas. biggrin I'll give them a try. I have a treat puzzle ball. If the kibble fits in it, I'll give it a try. biggrin If the kibble doesn't fit in it (I think it's meant for smaller treats, something the size of cheerios i think, but I'm not positive since I haven't used it in a while), I'll get the one you use and give it a try. biggrin He gets fed in my room because he finishes his food so much faster than Country and Jonny, and he'd try to take their food after he's finished. I'll also pick up a mat that I could scatter the food across and do that too. Give him some variety of ways to get the food. ^_^

I just looked at the Aikiou one and it looks like it would be a fun way for him to get his food too! biggrin

I noticed their red meat formula has larger kibbles. If you like larger kibbles, you might like that one. biggrin

Cowboy can't do red meat sad he doesn't tolerate cooked beef too well, raw is fine, cooked= diarrhea. I was hoping ther large breed foods would have bigger kindles but I think not. There's a relatively new food, it might be a local product as I don't find it on review sites, it's right up there quality wise with acana, and the large breed has good size kibbles. My store doesn't carry it (yet) plus champion provides my food for free so that's why I haven't pushed for this new food yet, going from paying nothing to any amount will put a dent in my income. If you ever see a food called wholesome blend though, let me know what it goes for. I might pick up a few bags at the pet show next year to show my boss.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:23 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

Both are nice ideas. biggrin I'll give them a try. I have a treat puzzle ball. If the kibble fits in it, I'll give it a try. biggrin If the kibble doesn't fit in it (I think it's meant for smaller treats, something the size of cheerios i think, but I'm not positive since I haven't used it in a while), I'll get the one you use and give it a try. biggrin He gets fed in my room because he finishes his food so much faster than Country and Jonny, and he'd try to take their food after he's finished. I'll also pick up a mat that I could scatter the food across and do that too. Give him some variety of ways to get the food. ^_^

I noticed their red meat formula has larger kibbles. If you like larger kibbles, you might like that one. biggrin

Cowboy can't do red meat sad he doesn't tolerate cooked beef too well, raw is fine, cooked= diarrhea. I was hoping ther large breed foods would have bigger kindles but I think not. There's a relatively new food, it might be a local product as I don't find it on review sites, it's right up there quality wise with acana, and the large breed has good size kibbles. My store doesn't carry it (yet) plus champion provides my food for free so that's why I haven't pushed for this new food yet, going from paying nothing to any amount will put a dent in my income. If you ever see a food called wholesome blend though, let me know what it goes for. I might pick up a few bags at the pet show next year to show my boss.

I was editing the post when you posted this lol. The red meat formula is a little bigger than their other formulas, but not by much. I looked at it shortly after I posted it (I got him that one the last time lol). I'll keep an eye out for the other one and let you know when/if the store I get my Orijen from carries it. Is it Orijen or Acana that you want me to look for the new formula? I just need to know which section to keep an eye on for it.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

I was editing the post when you posted this lol. The red meat formula is a little bigger than their other formulas, but not by much. I looked at it shortly after I posted it (I got him that one the last time lol). I'll keep an eye out for the other one and let you know when/if the store I get my Orijen from carries it. Is it Orijen or Acana that you want me to look for the new formula? I just need to know which section to keep an eye on for it.

Oh neither, wholesome blend is a new company I am interested in. Though I do have a loyalty to Acana, I think depending on the price, it might be good for my customers, but our shelf space is already limited, so if the price is the same, then there's not much point to carryg two such similar foods. I also wish we carried nature's variety, especially the raw. It's the only commercial raw that meets aafco standards and shows the levels of all vitamins and minerals on their website. Boss doesn't want to carry it though, she says other stores carry it, plus she likes to carry local companies. Man, I'm really starting to want to own my own store. Though I wouldn't know the first thing about ordering, and ya, carrying only good food only works if your clients are willing to pay for it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

Oh neither, wholesome blend is a new company I am interested in. Though I do have a loyalty to Acana, I think depending on the price, it might be good for my customers, but our shelf space is already limited, so if the price is the same, then there's not much point to carryg two such similar foods. I also wish we carried nature's variety, especially the raw. It's the only commercial raw that meets aafco standards and shows the levels of all vitamins and minerals on their website. Boss doesn't want to carry it though, she says other stores carry it, plus she likes to carry local companies. Man, I'm really starting to want to own my own store. Though I wouldn't know the first thing about ordering, and ya, carrying only good food only works if your clients are willing to pay for it.

Though I'm sure there will be clients willing to pay for it. biggrin If there weren't people willing to pay for it, the companies that made the good quality food would go out of business. biggrin I'll keep an eye out for that brand and let you know what it's going for here. biggrin

I was finally able to get the puzzle ball open and loaded. I'm going to record Bandit playing with it and I'll upload the video! I didn't fully latch the cover since it's such a pain to open and close. Because of the way it opens and closes, it shouldn't be an issue. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:36 am
I used the puzzle ball and he took about 12 minutes for him to eat his food! biggrin He had a lot of fun with it too! I recorded him playing with it and have successfully uploaded the video! The video also shows his newest collar, which I also didn't mention thanks to being so busy. sweatdrop

I'm probably going to get him the Aikiou one for him for his birthday this year. biggrin

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0-ZM_NN5Y&feature=youtu.be  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 am
That's fantastic! 12mins and he started at what? like 30 seconds? It is such a good mental activity, and look, he's moving around more too. Prevents bloat, regurgitation, helps them to feel full when they are done.

I find it funny that these slow down bowls cost like 20 bucks, and they are still a BOWL but with a funny shape and yet, a place matt is like 5 bucks, or cheaper if your dollar store sells them. Plus puzzle toys like this provide mental stimulation for the dog. (our slow bowls have not sold, not at all in the year Ive been there cause I have no issue telling people not to waste their money lol)

Absolutely people are willing to spend money on good food. I have customers come in and buy boxes of raw at like $200. It's more about, we have so much shelf space, and so many customers, if we bring in a new food, we either need MORE new customers, or other customers will have to want to switch, in which case now we're not selling enough of another food. There's no demand for this new food, no one has heard of it, every one wants blue buffalo, because they've seen the ads, they're convinced it's the best, THATS what they want, we didn't carry it before, but that's what customers wanted, who are we to say no, our products are better, so we order it for them.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
That's fantastic! 12mins and he started at what? like 30 seconds? It is such a good mental activity, and look, he's moving around more too. Prevents bloat, regurgitation, helps them to feel full when they are done.

I find it funny that these slow down bowls cost like 20 bucks, and they are still a BOWL but with a funny shape and yet, a place matt is like 5 bucks, or cheaper if your dollar store sells them. Plus puzzle toys like this provide mental stimulation for the dog. (our slow bowls have not sold, not at all in the year Ive been there cause I have no issue telling people not to waste their money lol)

Absolutely people are willing to spend money on good food. I have customers come in and buy boxes of raw at like $200. It's more about, we have so much shelf space, and so many customers, if we bring in a new food, we either need MORE new customers, or other customers will have to want to switch, in which case now we're not selling enough of another food. There's no demand for this new food, no one has heard of it, every one wants blue buffalo, because they've seen the ads, they're convinced it's the best, THATS what they want, we didn't carry it before, but that's what customers wanted, who are we to say no, our products are better, so we order it for them.

He would take somewhere around 30 seconds to eat, one minute if I was lucky lol. Should I try to get him to go a little slower than that, or is 12 minutes a decent length of time?

I wish some of the other good brands would advertise too. Blue Buffalo is the only one of the higher quality foods I have ever seen advertise. The higher price for the food is definitely worth it, though the fact that you can feed less and it will cause less health problems makes it cheaper. biggrin

My mom talked to someone in Walmart today about pet food. The person was looking at Purina Beneful and my mom told her about our experiences with it and told her about Taste of the Wild. It sounds like the person she talked to is going to try her dogs on Taste of the Wild. biggrin  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff