Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Games and Hobbies
So... I've gotten back into tabletop gaming Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Play a tabletop game before?
  Yes, and I enjoyed it!
  Yes, but I didn't like it.
  No, but I'd like to.
  No, and I'm not really interested.
View Results

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 am
And I'm the game master for my group. It's an interesting experience having six or eight people sitting down and working together as characters as opposed to playing online or with a console - using your imagination and ingenuity rather than what the game gives you to work your way in or out of certain situations. My group plays Shadowrun, which is set in the future, but the one most readily recognized is Dungeons and Dragons.

It's also interesting trying to work around all the characters at once. xD I will admit that it can be a bit hectic, especially when it comes to combat with those six or eight characters plus the NPCs.

Anyone else play tabletop games? What about your experiences with them?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 am
I play D&D in my school as well. It is really fun, and my teacher who is our DM is an old school player. biggrin  

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 pm
fire_girl_1000
I play D&D in my school as well. It is really fun, and my teacher who is our DM is an old school player. biggrin
Nice. My dad is also an old-school player; he was around for D&D Edition 1 and has played it since. He has other games he plays too, Shadowrun being one of them. I find Shadowrun easier to get into than D&D but I enjoy both so I may, at some point, start a D&D campaign in 3.5.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:08 am
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
Nice. My dad is also an old-school player; he was around for D&D Edition 1 and has played it since. He has other games he plays too, Shadowrun being one of them. I find Shadowrun easier to get into than D&D but I enjoy both so I may, at some point, start a D&D campaign in 3.5.

I haven't had time to play Shadowrun. Is it hard?
D&D 4th edition became easier then all the rest. >< I am using that one, but it is only my first campaign.  

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:32 am
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000

D&D 4th edition became easier then all the rest. >< I am using that one, but it is only my first campaign.
Shadowrun isn't too bad but it takes a lot of 6-sided dice to play; it uses a D6 system rather than a D20 system like D&D and uses a skill based system rather than classes.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000

Shadowrun isn't too bad but it takes a lot of 6-sided dice to play; it uses a D6 system rather than a D20 system like D&D and uses a skill based system rather than classes.

So everyone picks out of the same skill pool?  

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300

meligoth666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm
I have been playing table top games to LARP's for many years (damn I was an awesome Brujah). Anyways, me and my friends have started playing Pathfinder which in my opinion is DnD on steroids which got our nostalgic triggers fire away and game the day away.

Now to plot my next move in Shadowrun =)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm
fire_girl_1000
For the most part; some skills you need certain qualities to have, like you have to have the magician quality to take Astral Combat or the technomancer quality to take Compiling. The skills you choose determine what your character is able to do for the most part, but even characters with similar skills can apply them in different ways. One character with computer skills might be a hacker while another might rig drones to do surveillance work or even attack remote enemies.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 pm
meligoth666
I have been playing table top games to LARP's for many years (damn I was an awesome Brujah). Anyways, me and my friends have started playing Pathfinder which in my opinion is DnD on steroids which got our nostalgic triggers fire away and game the day away.

Now to plot my next move in Shadowrun =)
I had my group together; we spent as much time laughing and carrying on as playing today.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:51 am
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
For the most part; some skills you need certain qualities to have, like you have to have the magician quality to take Astral Combat or the technomancer quality to take Compiling. The skills you choose determine what your character is able to do for the most part, but even characters with similar skills can apply them in different ways. One character with computer skills might be a hacker while another might rig drones to do surveillance work or even attack remote enemies.

I see. So there's no labels yet everyone just knows what role they are going to take.  

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 pm
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000

I see. So there's no labels yet everyone just knows what role they are going to take.
Basically you can decide what role you want and take the appropriate skills so that your character can fill that role. A combat character might take tons of weapon skills, but what individual skills they take may vary with the type of combat they want to do. They might want to use automatic weapons or heavy arms like rockets or grenades, or they may prefer lighter weapons like pistols. They might prefer melee combat, and take skills in blades, clubs, or unarmed attacks instead of lots of ranged skills.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000

Basically you can decide what role you want and take the appropriate skills so that your character can fill that role. A combat character might take tons of weapon skills, but what individual skills they take may vary with the type of combat they want to do. They might want to use automatic weapons or heavy arms like rockets or grenades, or they may prefer lighter weapons like pistols. They might prefer melee combat, and take skills in blades, clubs, or unarmed attacks instead of lots of ranged skills.

That sounds much more customizable then D&D. What time period is it set in?  

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
fire_girl_1000
It depends on the edition. Fourth edition is the one I play and it's set around 2070; the original was set around 2040 or 2050 I think. You can set a campaign within a few years of the general setting and get away with it; my campaign is set in late 2072.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:33 pm
Pretty much the same era as my group. I play an Aztlander Face working for the Ghost Cartels.

Who said you had to be a good person to get the Nuyen?

ninja Meli ninja

Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
It depends on the edition. Fourth edition is the one I play and it's set around 2070; the original was set around 2040 or 2050 I think. You can set a campaign within a few years of the general setting and get away with it; my campaign is set in late 2072.

meligoth666

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:43 pm
meligoth666
Pretty much the same era as my group. I play an Aztlander Face working for the Ghost Cartels.

Who said you had to be a good person to get the Nuyen?

ninja Meli ninja

Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
My campaign is in Florida, working with the local mafia and a gang I made myself. 3nodding  
Games and Hobbies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff