Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
I used to enjoy English class...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 am

...and then I started University.

Putting aside the fact that the teacher told me that one particular book series that she read was, and I quote, "the best thing that she'd read in years," (I won't get into which series it was) and made me want to tear my hair out, the majority of the discussions that go on in this class have been doing nothing but infuriating me. Well, it's not so much the discussions themselves that bother me - it's more of when people open their mouths, and let loose a string of ignorant crap that I start to get pissed off. A prime example of this was yesterday, when we were reading about essays and stories written by minorities in America.

The discussion in particular that irked me was the one pertaining to a text called "Black Men and Public Space." This piece of writing described a black man's experiences with unintentionally intimidating others with his presence, and being discriminated against because of his race. After reading the text, we began to discuss the topic. Clothing entered the topic of discussion, and one girl in the class basically stated that large, black men should know better than to dress in an intimidating fashion, because it made others uncomfortable. To my dismay, a few others agreed.

This was when my frustration began. Why, exactly, should a white person be allowed to dress in one fashion, while a black person can't because his presence makes others uncomfortable? Are we not supposed to be overcoming old prejudices and stereotypes? Maybe I let this bother me more than I should have, but I felt as though the comment was rather ignorant.

Opinions and comments on the matter are welcome.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 am

That statement itself is very offensive. That's like saying androgynous people shouldn't dress that way because it makes others uncomfortable because people don't know what gender they are. People can't help what they were given with. Whether it be race, height, orientation, hair color, etc. I don't think that asking someone to change what makes them comfortable or happy to make everyone else feel better is right. Honestly other people shouldn't be so narrow-minded about appearance and judgement.

While her comment was really... well... yeah. It is true though that when people dress a certain stereotypical way (i.e. black while looking "gangster") that they'll be judged for it. So they should have some self awareness to know that if they walk out of the house looking a certain way people will judge them that way. They just have to be prepared for the comments and stares. However it doesn't mean that anyone should be forced to dress a certain way, nor does it make judgmental people right in doing so, but it is an unfortunate reality that people judge based on appearance, among other things.

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Yeah a lot ppl would love for everyone else to bend over backwards to please their whims. Quite sad. Hopefully all those silly sterotypes will be forgotten.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I get hit with sterotypes sometimes for being a natural redhead. >< It sucks

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Welcome to my world where I get hit with micro aggressions from all kinds of people-even people with in my race everyday!

If you don't know what micro aggression is, look up this book "micro aggressions in everyday life: race gender and sexual orientation" and go to microaggressions.com
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games