Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Puppy Formula vs. Adult Formula

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animelover955

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm
Ok so I've been attempting to look this up(not really just checked it out on a few forums). Anywho I've always been told that puppy food isn't really necessary especially in large breed dogs, but what about small breeds? Is it recommended to feed small/toy breeds puppy food up until a certain age or does it really matter?

Right now my guys are on TOTW(which was previously all stages) and I was planning on putting the new puppy onto TOTW as well, but then there's the debate between the new TOTW puppy formula or just regular TOTW.

Any thoughts on this? Opinions on puppy vs adult formula?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:55 pm
My vet told my sister not to feed her great dane pup puppy food. [Well actually I said it, and he backed me.] Puppy food promotes fast growth, not always a good thing when you need to take the time to build strength in your bones because you're gonna be HUGE!  

Akiska

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm
because of the training I had, I'm more inclined to believe that if you CAN put them on a puppy food, you ought to. ESPECIALLY! if it's a large breed! Large breed dogs have been selectively bred to grow big and fast and this is what leads to joint disease. Large breed puppy foods actually slow down growth by providing just enough calcium and no extra. The protein in puppy food will be higher than in an all life stage. The fat content will be more (to provide energy). I don't know much about TOTW puppy my store carried it briefly and now it's special order only. We just don't have enough puppies to carry puppy food on the shelf. But I do recommend puppy food to clients and try to have samples on hand.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
because of the training I had, I'm more inclined to believe that if you CAN put them on a puppy food, you ought to. ESPECIALLY! if it's a large breed! Large breed dogs have been selectively bred to grow big and fast and this is what leads to joint disease. Large breed puppy foods actually slow down growth by providing just enough calcium and no extra. The protein in puppy food will be higher than in an all life stage. The fat content will be more (to provide energy). I don't know much about TOTW puppy my store carried it briefly and now it's special order only. We just don't have enough puppies to carry puppy food on the shelf. But I do recommend puppy food to clients and try to have samples on hand.

Looking at the formulas online the puppy food as less protein than the regular food with the exception of two formulas and as far as fat content the puppy food either has the same amount or less.

here...

High prairie puppy
Protein: 28% Minimum, Fat: 17% Minimum

Pacific stream puppy
Protein: 27% Minimum, Fat: 15% Minimum

High prairie
Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum

Pacific stream
Protein: 25% Minimum, Fat: 15% Minimum

Wetlands
Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum

Sierra Mountain
Protein: 25% Minimum, Fat: 15% Minimum

So would it really make a huge difference in a small/toy breed?  

Animelover955

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 am
lol, that's so retarded, maybe they never got the memo. People use to believe by limiting protein they would slow the growth but in fact we want to give them lots of protein it's the calcium that is to blame for bones growing too fast. I would contact the company and get more info before making a final decision. Ask about their calcium phosphorus % and ratio. Ask about their omega 3 content, how much is EPA/DHA.

P.S Acana has the most EPA/DHA of any puppy food I've ever seen.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 am
For both puppy formulas it says 0.3% in the way of Omega 3's and 2.8% in the way of Omega 6's. And 0.05% DHA

I couldn't find anything about calcium phosphorus so guess I'll e-mail the company and find out  

Animelover955

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:44 pm
Animelover955
For both puppy formulas it says 0.3% in the way of Omega 3's and 2.8% in the way of Omega 6's. And 0.05% DHA

I couldn't find anything about calcium phosphorus so guess I'll e-mail the company and find out

lol, I don't suppose you would consider acana just for puppyhood lol. I guess you could always suppliment with a good fish oil. DHA/EPA has been proven to affect a pup's memory and focus. 0.3% seems like sooo little. and the ratio of O3 and O6 is 1:9 which is on the higher end of the scale. I like to see more around 1:5.

You can ask the company when you inquire about their nutrients, why it is they decided to come out with a puppy food and what makes it better for puppies than their all life stages and see what their take on it is.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:53 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Animelover955

lol, I don't suppose you would consider acana just for puppyhood lol. I guess you could always suppliment with a good fish oil. DHA/EPA has been proven to affect a pup's memory and focus. 0.3% seems like sooo little. and the ratio of O3 and O6 is 1:9 which is on the higher end of the scale. I like to see more around 1:5.

You can ask the company when you inquire about their nutrients, why it is they decided to come out with a puppy food and what makes it better for puppies than their all life stages and see what their take on it is.

I already supplement with fish oil with the crew wink

I'm not sure I have a place to get Acana. I know none of the normal pet stores carry it. I think I could possibly get it at one of the doggy daycares, but I'm not sure. I will look into it though...

Also what are your thoughts of wellness vs. TOTW for a puppy? I was thinking maybe wellness small breed puppy until she's older and eating the same as the others

I'm really interested to hear what they so so I'll e-mail them ASAP  

Animelover955

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:22 pm
Animelover955
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Animelover955

I already supplement with fish oil with the crew wink

I'm not sure I have a place to get Acana. I know none of the normal pet stores carry it. I think I could possibly get it at one of the doggy daycares, but I'm not sure. I will look into it though...

Also what are your thoughts of wellness vs. TOTW for a puppy? I was thinking maybe wellness small breed puppy until she's older and eating the same as the others

I'm really interested to hear what they so so I'll e-mail them ASAP

I'm a fan of wellness. They have a super good Ca razz ratio. They're customer service is excellent. I know that seems like something that doesn't matter, but like, if you need to know ANYTHING about the food, they will respond to your email like ASAP.

I ALSO happen to think that carbs are not terrible for lactating moms, pups and very active dogs. So really, a few good quality grains are not the devil. The fiber in the oatmeal and rice will probably help with sensitive puppy bowels.

Again, the O3 to O6 ratio is like, not great, there's no mention of EPA. If you have a really GOOD fish oil supplement, one that states % EPA and DHA then this is probably not an issue.

The protein could be higher, I mean, considering my adult dog is at like 35%, but it's certainly not too low.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:47 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I'm a fan of wellness. They have a super good Ca razz ratio. They're customer service is excellent. I know that seems like something that doesn't matter, but like, if you need to know ANYTHING about the food, they will respond to your email like ASAP.

I ALSO happen to think that carbs are not terrible for lactating moms, pups and very active dogs. So really, a few good quality grains are not the devil. The fiber in the oatmeal and rice will probably help with sensitive puppy bowels.

Again, the O3 to O6 ratio is like, not great, there's no mention of EPA. If you have a really GOOD fish oil supplement, one that states % EPA and DHA then this is probably not an issue.

The protein could be higher, I mean, considering my adult dog is at like 35%, but it's certainly not too low.

Firstly thanks Gabby I really really appreciate your help!

I actually managed to find a place that carries Acana that's not to far away. So depending on the price of that I may feed it. I should be hopefully getting my DL next wednsday if I pass the test so if/when I do that I will go check it out.

If not I may stick with wellness since I can get it closest.

I haven't checked them out yet, but hows about orijen? I can get that closer and I know they are similar as far as quality.But depends on price and whether or not I can afford it :/ I may get my parents to pay for Bo and Abby's food and then I can just buy a 5lb bag for the puppy as needed  

Animelover955

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:57 am
Origen is almost twice the price of acana. Of course its a good food, but for 20 bucks less you get the same ingredients but a bit less protein/meat with Acana.

Honestly, I kind of like that people haven't heard of acana and don't know they're the same company. Some people will give you grief about feeding Origen and say its too much protein. I recommend Acana the most because the ingredients are just the best, and the freshest, they have botanicals and the highest omega 3 (2nd only to origen) highest EPA/DHA aanndd people are not going to come back and be upset that I sold them a food their vet says is bad for their pet.

Get what you can afford, and if TOTW is a lot cheaper and u have a fish oil supplement, go for it. Or wellness. Around here though, Acana is the same price and sometimes cheaper!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:22 pm
He said it had something to do with how it causes the hip joints to harden or the growth plates of bones can harden too soon. Dane's aren't full sized bodywise until 2 or 3 years old. He's his full height but not weight, and the vet says he's right on.  

Akiska

Animelover955

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm
Yeah it'll all depend on what I can afford.

If everything goes well and I pass this darn driver's test(I can parallel park now so that's a plus!) wednsday; I'll head out next week or at least within the next few weeks and check out options and determine prices. Also if I do get my DL then I'll also start applying to some jobs so if I get one then that'll help me afford food and other stuff as well so might broaden my options  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games