Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
I Don't Think That College is for Me Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SharpenedMoonlight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm
But I don't know what to do with my life. I grew up in a rural town and a career was always the way out. I go to the community college because it's cheap. I'm fairly intelligent, but I keep sabotaging my education with my unmotivated personality that just says "screw all this". In the end, I always end up doing sub par or downright failing. I don't want to pay for something that I'm just going to ruin. But I don't know what I would do if I DID leave college. My current job is a minimum wage one with no possible advancement, and it wont have me leave my hometown, which is a secluded area of homophobes and rednecks. I have no idea what to do, I just know that what's happening now isn't working.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 pm
At least your not a vegetable emotion_yatta  

Latent Memories

Shy Receiver

8,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

silver-vixen-babydoll

Ruthless Regular

21,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm
SharpenedMoonlight
But I don't know what to do with my life. I grew up in a rural town and a career was always the way out. I go to the community college because it's cheap. I'm fairly intelligent, but I keep sabotaging my education with my unmotivated personality that just says "screw all this". In the end, I always end up doing sub par or downright failing. I don't want to pay for something that I'm just going to ruin. But I don't know what I would do if I DID leave college. My current job is a minimum wage one with no possible advancement, and it wont have me leave my hometown, which is a secluded area of homophobes and rednecks. I have no idea what to do, I just know that what's happening now isn't working.

I somewhat get your situation. I just started college myself. Most thought i wouldn't due to my weak immune system making me sick half the time during school. The way I see it is that even though your unmotivated maybe its because your in the wrong field? Most people drop out because they didn't chose the right course in college to interest them. I really want to be a teacher but I didn't do my best in high school and now I have to do advancement classes before I can be accepted where I want to be. Think of it this way, if you really try your best and pass college you can apply for a better paying job and move out of the town you obviously don't like so much.
Weigh the pros against the cons... That how I made up my mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:30 pm
silver-vixen-babydoll
SharpenedMoonlight

I somewhat get your situation. I just started college myself. Most thought i wouldn't due to my weak immune system making me sick half the time during school. The way I see it is that even though your unmotivated maybe its because your in the wrong field? Most people drop out because they didn't chose the right course in college to interest them. I really want to be a teacher but I didn't do my best in high school and now I have to do advancement classes before I can be accepted where I want to be. Think of it this way, if you really try your best and pass college you can apply for a better paying job and move out of the town you obviously don't like so much.

I get sick a lot too, but that only makes me want to skip classes more.
And I'm in core classes now. My major is up in the air because my whole life is. And I'm the opposite. I did well in high school, but can't do anything worth crap now.
I have no idea what to study, what to strive to become, anything. There are so many options, all with their own flaws. And schooling is really the biggest obstacle. I can't seem to stop myself from self desctucting my education.
I don't think it's worth the money when I just ruin it...  

SharpenedMoonlight

silver-vixen-babydoll

Ruthless Regular

21,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 pm
SharpenedMoonlight
silver-vixen-babydoll
SharpenedMoonlight

And I'm in core classes now. My major is up in the air because my whole life is. And I'm the opposite. I did well in high school, but can't do anything worth crap now.
I have no idea what to study, what to strive to become, anything. There are so many options, all with their own flaws. And schooling is really the biggest obstacle. I can't seem to stop myself from self desctucting my education.

Too bad I didn't talk to you while you were in high school. I'd of suggested you take the co-op program if your school had one. They place you somewhere where your talents might be of use and if you don't like it you can switch out for a different field. I worked a whole semester in an elementary school hence why I'm inspired to be a teacher.

Most colleges won't refund your money, you might as well stay until your payment is up and then just spend some time working. Maybe get a better job if you can find one. If you truly think that the time and effort you've put into this is a waste maybe your just not ready for college yet. Some people don't go to college until maybe 1-2 years after high school maybe more. As long as you have your high school transcripts you can go to college.

I'm not sure about your situation personally or emotionally and I do not wish to offend with this next bit. Sometimes it takes people a very long time before they can mature enough into a stable state of mind and life. I got lucky because I found something I liked early on in life and took a very risky chance on it. You will no doubt find something you like enough to pursue in college in the next year or two. Maybe college RIGHT NOW isn't for you but down the road? It can be a possibility. Take a year to work and think on it... Don't toss the college option out right away because it didn't pan out the first time.

To tell you the truth... I'm the youngest person in my class, my teacher was surprised at that. Everyone else is like 3-4 years older than me. Today was my first day and already I'm being called 'the kid'.

Did you know? President Abe Lincon failed his attempts for presidency seven times before he was elected?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm
I am in a similar situation.

I am taking online classes due to health issues and living in the middle of nowhere. I went to a community college once but ended up dropping out. I didn't have many choices so I picked something online but now I feel it was a mistake and stuck with it. I feel that it isn't for me and that I don't have my options.

I don't know what to do or what I want in life. I thought about training to become certified in belly dance but 1. I don't want to teach and have a long way to go anyways 2. Health issues keeps making miss classes. My mom was yelling at me the other day, telling me I should just quite if I am not going while my dad told me not to if I don't want to, just go when I feel up to it.

I guess weigh your pros and cons and try to find something you like and motivates you.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm
If you don't want to be in college for a long time look into those college that has a program that lets you get out sooner with a career!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 am
silver-vixen-babydoll
SharpenedMoonlight
silver-vixen-babydoll
SharpenedMoonlight

Too bad I didn't talk to you while you were in high school. I'd of suggested you take the co-op program if your school had one. They place you somewhere where your talents might be of use and if you don't like it you can switch out for a different field. I worked a whole semester in an elementary school hence why I'm inspired to be a teacher.

Most colleges won't refund your money, you might as well stay until your payment is up and then just spend some time working. Maybe get a better job if you can find one. If you truly think that the time and effort you've put into this is a waste maybe your just not ready for college yet. Some people don't go to college until maybe 1-2 years after high school maybe more. As long as you have your high school transcripts you can go to college.

I'm not sure about your situation personally or emotionally and I do not wish to offend with this next bit. Sometimes it takes people a very long time before they can mature enough into a stable state of mind and life. I got lucky because I found something I liked early on in life and took a very risky chance on it. You will no doubt find something you like enough to pursue in college in the next year or two. Maybe college RIGHT NOW isn't for you but down the road? It can be a possibility. Take a year to work and think on it... Don't toss the college option out right away because it didn't pan out the first time.

To tell you the truth... I'm the youngest person in my class, my teacher was surprised at that. Everyone else is like 3-4 years older than me. Today was my first day and already I'm being called 'the kid'.

Did you know? President Abe Lincon failed his attempts for presidency seven times before he was elected?

I live in the boonies, we didn't have anything nice for the students like a co-op prgram. I did mentor elementary school students for my last semester of high school, but I don't think I'd do well as a teacher, despite enjoying my experience.

I'm not offended by that, and I'm not sure if it's correct or incorrect. I almost feel like I USED to be better than I am, more mature, school-wise. But in other ways I certainly wasn't as much of an adult as I am now. I don't have problems like this with my job, even though I don't necessarily like it.

To be honest, I'm just afraid that if I stop college and then later decide I want to go back, I either 1, won't have the momentum to do it, or 2, would be the awkward older student.  

SharpenedMoonlight

silver-vixen-babydoll

Ruthless Regular

21,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 am
SharpenedMoonlight

I live in the boonies, we didn't have anything nice for the students like a co-op prgram. I did mentor elementary school students for my last semester of high school, but I don't think I'd do well as a teacher, despite enjoying my experience.

I'm not offended by that, and I'm not sure if it's correct or incorrect. I almost feel like I USED to be better than I am, more mature, school-wise. But in other ways I certainly wasn't as much of an adult as I am now. I don't have problems like this with my job, even though I don't necessarily like it.

To be honest, I'm just afraid that if I stop college and then later decide I want to go back, I either 1, won't have the momentum to do it, or 2, would be the awkward older student.

No need to feel akward about age. There are people in their 40's still attending college. It more like feeling like the akward YOUNGER student :/  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 am
silver-vixen-babydoll
SharpenedMoonlight

No need to feel akward about age. There are people in their 40's still attending college. It more like feeling like the akward YOUNGER student :/

I guess it's just what you're used to. I mean I'm used to being the younger kid in a group of adults, both at work and school. I guess it's just people being afraid of their roles switching?

But even if I stop college, I have no idea what to pursue instead...  

SharpenedMoonlight

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 am
You may just be at the wrong college. I know that if I went to any other college than the one I go to now, I would most likely not have survived. You also need to know what you want to do with your life. Or find a field of study that you like. I'm a psych major at a small university in GA. the classes here do not get larger than 30 people, and the teachers know you by name..... well most of them do. I myself am falling a little behind. I will have to take summer classes a community college because it is cheaper.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:04 am
The college, the town, or your job aren't the problems. It's your attitude. Fix it.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm
Really?! is that all you can think of to say? confused I however, believe that college isnt the only, best option for everyone so why make it one. There are so many other options.
lgtenos
The college, the town, or your job aren't the problems. It's your attitude. Fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:17 pm
Yes, that's all there is to say.

Attitude is the root of every decision you make in your life. Deciding to do something, whether negative or positive, is all based on your past and current views of the subject. Yeah, I know it sucks that sometimes things are rough. But if that's ALL that's keeping you down, then your head isn't in the right place. Life is a B$#@%; if you find yourself in a predicament, no one is going to make progress other than yourself.

Shift your attitude towards the positive spectrum. Everything else will fall into place.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:17 pm
You cant ******** change everything with attitude, iifff you haven't noticed. Its hard to believe that i actually have to tell you this. If you really want to argue this than fine, but i'm telling you that i strongly disagree with that flat out generalization. College ISN'T for everyone, and attitude isn't going to change this, got it?
lgtenos
Yes, that's all there is to say.

Attitude is the root of every decision you make in your life. Deciding to do something, whether negative or positive, is all based on your past and current views of the subject. Yeah, I know it sucks that sometimes things are rough. But if that's ALL that's keeping you down, then your head isn't in the right place. Life is a B$#@%; if you find yourself in a predicament, no one is going to make progress other than yourself.

Shift your attitude towards the positive spectrum. Everything else will fall into place.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff