Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
"Cisgender"? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 pm
Okay, I'm trying to understand this term. Can someone explain it to me? I've looked it up on a plethora of sites, but I still don't get it. Enlighten, pl0x.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 pm
I literally have been wondering the same thing.  

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

HoneyTeaTree

Anxious Goat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm
Well I found a thing on Wikipedia... Not sure how reliable it is, but it seems pretty legit.

I'll just give you the link. Since I cant reinterpret things very well... OTL

But yeah... ->CLICKY<-

From my understanding it just means that the person most identifies with the gender they were born with. They don't feel like they should have been born male, if female, or female, if male. I'm not sure if that cleared anything up.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm
Yeah, I read the Wiki already, but it didn't clear up anything. I remember that we had presenters come to my old school's GSA meeting. One of them mentioned and tried to explain "cisgender" but we were all confused as hell. One of our members actually said, "So... It's just whatever you feel like that day?" - that's how ambiguous "cisgender" is.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm
Basically from what I understand is that cisgender is how someone feels about their gender on the inside matching the gender on the outside-Some who is a biological male and feels and identify as a male for example.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm
From what I understand, I'm cisgender, because I was born male and identify as male. *shrug* Someone who isn't transgender, I guess? I wonder, does this include those who are genderqueer, as well?  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm
That's where I'm confused too. I'm biologically a male, and I identify as a male. I also exhibit masculine behaviors and partake in many male-dominant activities. Does that make me cisgender too? eek  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 pm
lgtenos
That's where I'm confused too. I'm biologically a male, and I identify as a male. I also exhibit masculine behaviors and partake in many male-dominant activities. Does that make me cisgender too? eek

I guess (based on what I read from The Others eek ); I'll ask my co-worker tomorrow... eek eek  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:31 am
lgtenos

your a perfect example of a cisgender male then smile its anyone who isnt trans or genderqueer. its kind of like the heterosexual of the trans comunity  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 am
Shanna66
your a perfect example of a cisgender male then smile its anyone who isnt trans or genderqueer. its kind of like the heterosexual of the trans comunity

But I'm not a member of the transgender community. I come off as heterosexual and I can see where that reasoning comes from (I've even been told that I'm "straighter than most straight guys"). The only difference is that I am attracted to other men. However, I'll accept that conclusion. Gender and sexuality are two different concepts. Guess I'm a cisgender-homosexual male, lol. Thanks for the clarification 3nodding  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:44 am
lgtenos
Shanna66

But I'm not a member of the transgender community. I come off as heterosexual and I can see where that reasoning comes from (I've even been told that I'm "straighter than most straight guys"). The only difference is that I am attracted to other men. However, I'll accept that conclusion. Gender and sexuality are two different concepts. Guess I'm a cisgender-homosexual male, lol. Thanks for the clarification 3nodding

if you arent a member of the trans community you are cis. it took me ages to finally understand what it meant, my brain was just not getitng it for the longest time lol  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 am
Shanna66
if you arent a member of the trans community you are cis. it took me ages to finally understand what it meant, my brain was just not getitng it for the longest time lol

idea

The lightbulb just came on. That explains it perfectly. See, why can't Wiki or Urban Dictionary say that instead? Lol, thanks again Shanna~  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:52 am
lgtenos
Shanna66

idea

The lightbulb just came on. That explains it perfectly. See, why can't Wiki or Urban Dictionary say that instead? Lol, thanks again Shanna~

lol i dont know why we need to make things to complicated with everything XD  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 am
Shanna66
lgtenos
Shanna66

idea

Because people want to sound smart, haha. I know I do sometimes. But when it comes to something as complex as identity, I want the clear-cut definition, not a novel about how the word came to be.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 am
lgtenos
Shanna66
lgtenos
Shanna66

idea

Because people want to sound smart, haha. I know I do sometimes. But when it comes to something as complex as identity, I want the clear-cut definition, not a novel about how the word came to be.

we should just stick with you are what you say you are lol  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces