Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Coping with stress Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 pm
Everyone has some kind of stress in their life. (At least, I've yet to meet anyone whose life was entirely stress-free.) So, how do you deal with it?

What are the methods you use to cope? Are they healthy, or not? What is it about each method that is helpful (or harmful) to you? What other effects does stress have on your life?

Personally, I tend to shut down and internalize whatever is bothering me. I suppose it helps me focus, but I wouldn't consider it a good thing. I know that it makes me less pleasant to be around. razz

On the positive side of things, I've found that running (or exercise in general) is one of the best ways for me to deal with stress or anxiety.

Healthy ways GGSAers Handle Stress

-Read a book
-Sew
-Listen to music
-Make some music
-Play some video games
-Watch anime
-Go for a walk
-Ride a bike
-Run
-Beat up a punching bag
-Tai'chi
-Qigong
-Krav maga
-Yoga
-Belly dance
-Learn the art of fighting fans
-Cry it out
-Dress up in fancy clothes
-Cook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 pm
Personally for me to de-stress myself, I lock myself in my room and read a book. I've tried video games but that requires to much attention and stamina, it doesn't calm down the brain ether.
Occasionally I also go on a eating biege, and eat the unhealthist things I can find (like chocolate). lol So..not healthy...

Reading is relaxing, it lets me focus on the story and forget what made me so stressed in the first place...the food is just for comfort?
Other effects stress has on me?? Let me count thy ways.
1) Literally pulling my hair out. 2) Horrible headaches. 3)Crying uncontrolably
4) Curling up in a ball, hugging a plushie and listening to Adele songs? (slight real kinda half joke)

Oh but walking n bike riding helps me cope too <3  

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

poisionivy1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:50 pm
I use self harm or prescription drugs to relieve stress which I don't recommend for anyone to start doing. Cutting hurts and leaves scars, but it tend to calm me down. Overdosing is one of the scariest things ever. Never submit to doing drugs EVER!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:52 pm
Whenever I'm stressed, I also internalize things. And I agree, I don't really consider it to be good, since it usually makes me broody.. confused

As for healthy things, listening to music always seems to work. I usually sing whatever I'm listening to from my "sad song playlist", then I kind of feel better. sweatdrop I see it as channeling all of the negative energy into my voice, then expelling it. Even if anyone's ears around me are at the mercy of my horrible singing, hahaha.

Taking walks helps too, but I usually only do this when the weather is cool since the cold air helps me to clear my mind.

Usually if I just let stress and anxiety run its course, I just become extremely distracted and won't get anything productive done.  

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 pm
Emo Kuromi Nui: Ah, headaches. My long-time nemesis. sweatdrop Stress causes headaches for me, too. They're miserable, aren't they?

Walking and bike-riding are great ideas. I've encountered several people who pull hair, with different degrees of severity. It's not something I quite understand. I've wondered if it's something about the sensation itself that makes people do it, or if it's just more of a distraction from the stress.

poisionivy1: Speaking from experience, a trip to the hospital as the result of either of those things is extremely unpleasant.
I found that one of the reasons that it was harder to switch to healthier coping methods was that they didn't provide the same kind of instant gratification. It's just not worth the long-term damage, though. What starts as a temporary relief ends up becoming a huge cause of stress in its own right. xp

Veneficus Monstrum: Music can be very powerful. I find it interesting how sometimes listening to sad music can actually make someone feel better. You'd almost assume it would be the other way around. smile I suppose it depends on the person, as well as the music.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 pm
Healthy habits are the best!!
Too bad I don't have any....I don't like losing my own blood, so I burn instead of cutting. Its hurts alot more which in turn works faster. cat_stare But so I don't run out of places that people wont see, I also smoke....alot. cat_burning_eyes  

DresdenDawl

Dapper Dabbler

3,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm
I punch, kick, elbow, knee, heatbutt, hammer-fist, and foot-stomp my punching bag. I do Krav Maga.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 am
When I'm stressed, it's almost as if I mentally shut down. My mind doesn't think of anything but the thing I am stressed on, and I tend to be stressed on something quite often. I find myself not being able to think quickly, especially with anything artistic. I've learned to block it out, and simply try and take care of the situation as soon as I can. ^_^ It's almost hard to explain xD

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:53 am
I practice Tai'chi, qigong and yoga. Sometimes I use belly dance and drawing to cope but sometimes it increases it as well as sewing costumes. Music is great, I live off music.

I have these fighting fans I practice with. I love fans.

Video games is good. I can take it out on characters. cool

If I am under a lot of stress, I tend to cry. Especially when it comes to my Health Infomation Management classes, they are known to be killer. Ugh, you should of seen the final for are pathology class (I think no one managed to finish it due to the amount of work we were given and lack of time). gonk

I hate pain and getting sick, so no drugs, self-harm or a lot of drinking for me, it would just make it worse and not look good and would be hard to hide with some of my clothing and costuming. I kind of hate medication as it make me sicker than I already was and made the anxiety much worse. I actually gotten into a discussion about anxiety with my dance teacher while in class and she told me there are these drops you take that is supposed to help calm you down and get it at health stores.

I tend to pick a lot of stressful hobbies and career choices. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 am
DresdenDawl
Healthy habits are the best!!
Too bad I don't have any....I don't like losing my own blood, so I burn instead of cutting. Its hurts alot more which in turn works faster. cat_stare But so I don't run out of places that people wont see, I also smoke....alot. cat_burning_eyes

(Love the username, by the way.) Agreed, healthy is the way to go. :3
Ouch, burning? I would imagine that would scar quite badly. I've worked in a couple of pizzerias and a bakery, and I'm a bit of a klutz, so I have a number of burn scars. Aloe vera is a godsend, though.

lgtenos
I punch, kick, elbow, knee, heatbutt, hammer-fist, and foot-stomp my punching bag. I do Krav Maga.

I was expecting something like that from you. biggrin The idea of beating the crap out of a punching bag really appeals to me. I just worry about noise, since I'm in an apartment. Is it necessarily loud, or does it depend on the kind of punching bag?

The Bodacious Soul Reaper
When I'm stressed, it's almost as if I mentally shut down. My mind doesn't think of anything but the thing I am stressed on, and I tend to be stressed on something quite often. I find myself not being able to think quickly, especially with anything artistic. I've learned to block it out, and simply try and take care of the situation as soon as I can. ^_^ It's almost hard to explain xD

I would guess that could make it hard to function, especially if the problem that's causing the stress doesn't resolve itself quickly.

Playboy Karasu Uchiha
I practice Tai'chi, qigong and yoga. Sometimes I use belly dance and drawing to cope but sometimes it increases it as well as sewing costumes. Music is great, I live off music.

I have these fighting fans I practice with. I love fans.

Video games is good. I can take it out on characters. cool

If I am under a lot of stress, I tend to cry. Especially when it comes to my Health Infomation Management classes, they are known to be killer. Ugh, you should of seen the final for are pathology class (I think no one managed to finish it due to the amount of work we were given and lack of time). gonk

I hate pain and getting sick, so no drugs, self-harm or a lot of drinking for me, it would just make it worse and not look good and would be hard to hide with some of my clothing and costuming. I kind of hate medication as it make me sicker than I already was and made the anxiety much worse. I actually gotten into a discussion about anxiety with my dance teacher while in class and she told me there are these drops you take that is supposed to help calm you down and get it at health stores.

I tend to pick a lot of stressful hobbies and career choices. sweatdrop

You seem to have an excellent repertoire of de-stressing activities! That's awesome. I've done yoga to some extent, and enjoyed it. Do you practice tai'chi alone, or with others?

There's certainly nothing wrong with avoiding drugs, drinking, or self-harm. I don't think I know anyone who's gotten into the habit of hurting themselves that would encourage anyone else to try it. sweatdrop

Would anyone mind if I collected their positive coping methods for a list of healthy suggestions in the first post? smile  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Pompette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:33 am
When I'm stressed out, I punch the wall. stare But anyway, this is helpful.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 am
iShotElmo8D

Maybe you and I both ought to invest in punching bags. smile  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 am
Taeryyn
lgtenos

I was expecting something like that from you. biggrin The idea of beating the crap out of a punching bag really appeals to me. I just worry about noise, since I'm in an apartment. Is it necessarily loud, or does it depend on the kind of punching bag?

It depends on the material of the bag, the types of strikes you're doing, type of martial art/self-defense, and if you're anywhere above the 1st floor. While Krav Maga is very mobile, many fighting positions are based in ground-work, which can get quite noisy (since you'd be rolling around the floor). Also, KM promotes yelling [for intimidation and aggression purposes], so that in-and-of itself can be noisy as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:27 am
lgtenos
Taeryyn
lgtenos

It depends on the material of the bag, the types of strikes you're doing, type of martial art/self-defense, and if you're anywhere above the 1st floor. While Krav Maga is very mobile, many fighting positions are based in ground-work, which can get quite noisy (since you'd be rolling around the floor).

I have an apartment below me, another above me, and one next door. My building is not very sound-proofed, unfortunately. xp (As I type this, I could listen to the conversation in the apartment next door, and they aren't being loud.)  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Pompette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 am
Taeryyn
iShotElmo8D

Maybe you and I both ought to invest in punching bags. smile

Don't tell me you do the same. lol  
Off-Topic

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas