View Results

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am
What's the best item of clothing or accessory you've ever found at a thrift store?

For me right now it's my stretch boot-cut Levi's jeans ($5! YEAH BABY!) and a heavily-beaded purse (also $5).

I love Goodwill even if I have to rummage around to find what I want. The Salvation Army store is better organized, but the prices are higher so I don;t go there as often.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 am
I collect vintage clothing so i love a thrift store ( Charity shop here) I bought a 1940's mink hat for £3 once, most recently i bought some super kitsch 1950's coasters with poodles and ladies on for £1  

THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
Vice Captain

Original Fairy

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 am
THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
I collect vintage clothing so i love a thrift store ( Charity shop here) I bought a 1940's mink hat for £3 once, most recently i bought some super kitsch 1950's coasters with poodles and lades on for £1

OOOH! I'm so curious about the hat, now!

The coasters sound just too cute, as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 pm
I got my grad prom dress for 70 Cdn- with tax~! It pooled a bit, but I wore wedges during my Grand March so I wouldn't trip, and matching Converse at the prom itself~ >w<

User Image  

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:39 pm
Alice WR Ashdown
I got my grad prom dress for 70 Cdn- with tax~! It pooled a bit, but I wore wedges during my Grand March so I wouldn't trip, and matching Converse at the prom itself~ >w<

User Image

Pretty! And a great price, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm
Gigi Deveraux

My mum kept offering to take me to Halifax bridal shoppes, but I refused XD  

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 pm
Alice WR Ashdown
Gigi Deveraux

My mum kept offering to take me to Halifax bridal shoppes, but I refused XD

I agree with you. Why shell out the big money for something you're only going to wear once in your life? Other than a wedding dress, of course, and even then...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 pm
Gigi Deveraux
I agree with you. Why shell out the big money for something you're only going to wear once in your life? Other than a wedding dress, of course, and even then...

The most I can see paying for a wedding dress is roughly 500- but only if I really like it...  

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm
Alice WR Ashdown
Gigi Deveraux

The most I can see paying for a wedding dress is roughly 500- but only if I really like it...

Or make it yourself if you know how to sew... speaking of which, I really should learn to sew. It would save me having to go to my mother for every adjustment I need.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm
Gigi Deveraux
Or make it yourself if you know how to sew... speaking of which, I really should learn to sew. It would save me having to go to my mother for every adjustment I need.

I had to take sewing classes at school, but I was unable to learn. Metal allergies and damaged wrists make sewing a nightmare ;_;  

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 pm
Alice WR Ashdown
I had to take sewing classes at school, but I was unable to learn. Metal allergies and damaged wrists make sewing a nightmare ;_;

Aww emotion_hug emotion_bigheart emotion_hug emotion_bigheart emotion_hug  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:36 pm
i haven't gone to the thrift store in a while, but we do donate all the stuff we don't want anymore and is still good to the one near my house. i should go check the ones in the area later on, you can find some neat stuff there sometimes  

StrayKit

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:03 pm
Gigi Deveraux

The best thing I ever found at a thrift store (in this case, Goodwill) was a floor-length deep-magenta dress with lacy black flower pattern over it. It's absolutely gorgeous and looks like something that came out of the Titanic movie. =) I'm a sucker for beautiful dresses, and naturally this one was a steal. whee
In my opinion, consignment/thrift stores can have a lot of wonderful clothing depending on what kind of people live in the area. If you've got a community of rich folks nearby who donate a bunch of clothing they're sick of or have never worn, you're in luck. surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 pm
Ayniu
Gigi Deveraux

The best thing I ever found at a thrift store (in this case, Goodwill) was a floor-length deep-magenta dress with lacy black flower pattern over it. It's absolutely gorgeous and looks like something that came out of the Titanic movie. =) I'm a sucker for beautiful dresses, and naturally this one was a steal. whee
In my opinion, consignment/thrift stores can have a lot of wonderful clothing depending on what kind of people live in the area. If you've got a community of rich folks nearby who donate a bunch of clothing they're sick of or have never worn, you're in luck. surprised

OMG I want to see that dress now!

The Goodwill nearest where I live is kind of the depository for the area. That means there's a lot of variety, and a better chance of finding clothing in my size that's also in good condition.

Shoes, however, I only ever buy new. You can disinfect shoes, but the wear pattern is different for every person, so it's not worth it.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 pm
Gigi Deveraux

OMG I want to see that dress now!

The Goodwill nearest where I live is kind of the depository for the area. That means there's a lot of variety, and a better chance of finding clothing in my size that's also in good condition.

Shoes, however, I only ever buy new. You can disinfect shoes, but the wear pattern is different for every person, so it's not worth it.

I'll try to get a picture of it up. ^_^ It's really pretty, especially considering I found it an Goodwill. It was only $8. o__o
Yeah it's always disappointing when you find something amazing and it doesn't come in the right size. :[ That's why more variety is always a plus (no pun intended.)

I agree, I've never been tempted to buy used shoes...just something about it... XS

04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff