Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Chick-Fil-A & Homosexuality Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guardian Arlen

Steadfast Guardian

17,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 am
Okay, now this subject isn't about pointing fingers at the restaurant because they don't support gay marriage or support groups that against or what not. I just want to state my opinion in a safe place where I'm not going to get terrorized by both sides involved in the situation.

Many of you may have heard, read, or watched about the stance that the owner of Chick-fil-a has taken on the subject that many of us are passionate about. You also probably heard of the Chick-fil-a appreciation day (that was not made up by the company) and huge crowds came out to support them. It's been all over the internet, and the media, and probably in newspapers as well.

Today, when I got onto facebook I saw a friend of mine shared a picture about "National Same Sex Kiss Day. Showing Chick-Fil-A our thanks for their support of love, equality, and the real definition of marriage," and I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Wow, this seems really childish."

Don't get me wrong! I'm gay myself, but even I know that people are entitled to their own opinions, even if they are a owner of a company which cooks and sells absolutely wonderfully delicious chicken sandwiches. Let's face it, if the food of that restaurant wasn't any good then I highly doubt anyone would care about it. I think the situation would be completely different if they bared homosexuals from their establishment, but all they are doing is stating their honest opinion. While their opinion is against our own and they support other companies that are like minded, do people really have to stoop so low that they make up their own day? What is the point, is it try to change their opinion by going to a Chick-fil-a and make out in front of the employees and other customers of that store?

I personally feel that there has to be a more constructive way to show that company how we feel. I, for one, will not stop eating at Chick-fil-a or make up a national day about going to the restaurant and make out in front of them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and stances, whether it is an owner of a popular restaurant or if it is our own, as long as it doesn't actually do any harm to others such as discriminating against people and baring them from their establishment or going out and beating or killing others because they are different.

I'm about love and acceptance. If there is someone that has a different opinion than my own then I will love and accept them for who they are, just as I would want to be love and accepted back regardless of whether I do or do not get the same in return.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get that off my chest, I support gay marriage and rights AND chick-fil-a chicken sandwiches are delicious. <3  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am
I pretty much feel the same way on the topic. This whole back and forth between pro gay marriage and anti gay marriage is just nonsense. I'm gay and of course I support equal rights and what not but I'm not going to attack a resturant just because they don't.
I don't eat at Chik Fil A now, nor have I ever eaten there simply because I'm vegan.
I must admit, I was bit suprised when a lot of my friends turned out to be pro gay rights. It was interesting to see how many cared even if it was for a petty reason.

Bullet Sonata

Raleigh_Ronin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 am
Guardian Arlen
Okay, now this subject isn't about pointing fingers at the restaurant because they don't support gay marriage or support groups that against or what not. I just want to state my opinion in a safe place where I'm not going to get terrorized by both sides involved in the situation.

Many of you may have heard, read, or watched about the stance that the owner of Chick-fil-a has taken on the subject that many of us are passionate about. You also probably heard of the Chick-fil-a appreciation day (that was not made up by the company) and huge crowds came out to support them. It's been all over the internet, and the media, and probably in newspapers as well.

Today, when I got onto facebook I saw a friend of mine shared a picture about "National Same Sex Kiss Day. Showing Chick-Fil-A our thanks for their support of love, equality, and the real definition of marriage," and I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Wow, this seems really childish."

Don't get me wrong! I'm gay myself, but even I know that people are entitled to their own opinions, even if they are a owner of a company which cooks and sells absolutely wonderfully delicious chicken sandwiches. Let's face it, if the food of that restaurant wasn't any good then I highly doubt anyone would care about it. I think the situation would be completely different if they bared homosexuals from their establishment, but all they are doing is stating their honest opinion. While their opinion is against our own and they support other companies that are like minded, do people really have to stoop so low that they make up their own day? What is the point, is it try to change their opinion by going to a Chick-fil-a and make out in front of the employees and other customers of that store?

I personally feel that there has to be a more constructive way to show that company how we feel. I, for one, will not stop eating at Chick-fil-a or make up a national day about going to the restaurant and make out in front of them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and stances, whether it is an owner of a popular restaurant or if it is our own, as long as it doesn't actually do any harm to others such as discriminating against people and baring them from their establishment or going out and beating or killing others because they are different.

I'm about love and acceptance. If there is someone that has a different opinion than my own then I will love and accept them for who they are, just as I would want to be love and accepted back regardless of whether I do or do not get the same in return.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get that off my chest, I support gay marriage and rights AND chick-fil-a chicken sandwiches are delicious. <3
The reason people have decided to stop eating at chick fila isn't because theya re a christan company but because they give money to political groups whos sole pourpose is to prevent same sex marriage.

I agree that that the same sex kiss thing is very childish but then again I kinda view the LGBT community at times.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:36 am
Bullet Sonata
I pretty much feel the same way on the topic. This whole back and forth between pro gay marriage and anti gay marriage is just nonsense. I'm gay and of course I support equal rights and what not but I'm not going to attack a resturant just because they don't.
I don't eat at Chik Fil A now, nor have I ever eaten there simply because I'm vegan.
I must admit, I was bit suprised when a lot of my friends turned out to be pro gay rights. It was interesting to see how many cared even if it was for a petty reason.
I have to disagree with it being a petty reason Campaign finaces is a big thing and 9/10 the due who spends more money in congressional elections wins. Thats a bit number and I was rounding down. So the fact that Chik Fil A gives millions of dollars to anti gay people does affect people life. The group they give money to will give money to Romey so If I don't wasn't Romey as president I should not buy Chik Fil A every dollar is a vote. Spend it acordingly.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am
My only position is:

Why the ******** are fast food restaurants taking a position on my love life?

Seriously, though. I don't even eat the shitty food and I've never stepped foot in a Chick-Fil-A. Why on this green Earth are they trying to tell me who to love? They insist on feeding people disgusting, unhealthy food, so why should I be taking them seriously?

It's like Sarah Palin posing for a candid at the Chick-Fil-A and giving her worthless two-cent opinion. That was probably her first time eating at the chain! She probably only went there because they publicized their stance on the issue!

It's a media-whore's attempt at getting attention and business for a failing fast-food chain.

Frankly, they serve their bigotry and slop all they want, I won't like them any more or less than I do now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 am
Der Fluch des Pharao

It's a media-whore's attempt at getting attention and business for a failing fast-food chain.
Your wrong about this part. Chic Filla was one of the highest rated fast food restaurant and had a high consumer option of the brand pre anti gay press. They went down from 60's to 35 ish.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm
Karl_Krebs

That's entirely subjective to region.

In Michigan we only have one Chick-Fil-A restaurant and it does absolutely poor here.

Frankly, I've hardly heard of Chick-Fil-A prior to this.

So I maintain the fact that this is nothing more than a publicity act. Of course, they're opinion may have anti-gay long before voicing it, but where is the need to voice the opinion other than attention?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:21 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Karl_Krebs

That's entirely subjective to region.

In Michigan we only have one Chick-Fil-A restaurant and it does absolutely poor here.

Frankly, I've hardly heard of Chick-Fil-A prior to this.

So I maintain the fact that this is nothing more than a publicity act. Of course, they're opinion may have anti-gay long before voicing it, but where is the need to voice the opinion other than attention?
But that Chick-Fil-A was not the one that did the donations and made the official statements so We should be looking at national data not local to determine if this was a publicity stunt. I bet you the Chick-Fil-A of sunset blvd in Cali is pissed as hell about the companies statement and are taking huge hits to business.
The whole matter went down like this. Chick-Fil-A gave money to anti gay groups. They then got called out for doing so The owners then doubled down on the stance and let lose a official statement and then a s**t storm ensued.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm
Karl_Krebs

You cannot call this a s**t storm.

They strategically attempted to counter the pro-gay support from big name companies and president Obama with their statements.

If you analyze what has been said, you'll see that pro-gay companies are in support of gay marriage while anti-gay sentiment, especially as from Chick-Fil-A, is attempting to tell everyone who they can and can't marry. That's why it's a flop.

Again, they had no reason for ever voicing their opinion. They're a small fast-food chain who is looking for headlines. Whether or not it's to boost sales is a whole different debate but what I'm saying is, they're whoring themselves out for attention and that's exactly what they're getting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Karl_Krebs

You cannot call this a s**t storm.

They strategically attempted to counter the pro-gay support from big name companies and president Obama with their statements.

If you analyze what has been said, you'll see that pro-gay companies are in support of gay marriage while anti-gay sentiment, especially as from Chick-Fil-A, is attempting to tell everyone who they can and can't marry. That's why it's a flop.

Again, they had no reason for ever voicing their opinion. They're a small fast-food chain who is looking for headlines. Whether or not it's to boost sales is a whole different debate but what I'm saying is, they're whoring themselves out for attention and that's exactly what they're getting.
I am confused... So your not angry about the campaign contributions you are just upset about Them saying that they are against Homosexuality?  

Raleigh_Ronin

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm
Karl_Krebs

That's the same thing...

One is a literal statement the other is a figurative "voicing of opinion".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm
I think people on both sides are in the wrong and I am just getting tired of hearing about it. We don't have Chick-Fil-A nearby and I thought their food sucked anyways, so I really don't care about them either way (I am very picky about food, especially when it comes to chicken).

All I see is both sides fighting one another and acting petty at times. Supporting hate groups to vandalizing, etc...  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm
      i've never been to chick fil a at all, partly because there's none in the part of the twin cities area where i live. the only one i've seen is at the mall of america, and i don't think it got much traffic. :l
      and frankly, although they do donate to companies and all that, i don't really care. marriage is a civil right (i'm pretty sure), and it stops becoming religious freedom when it infringes on other people's rights.
      and sorry about the smilies- little sister's making me:
      emotion_kirakira emotion_dowant yum_strawberry yum_puddi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

Ultimately I think it falls as an inalienable right, but you're very correct. The second it infringes on some other persons rights, it's then no longer a "right".

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:41 am
Der Fluch des Pharao
Dancehall Hysteria

Ultimately I think it falls as an inalienable right, but you're very correct. The second it infringes on some other persons rights, it's then no longer a "right".

oh! I got it right! *claps* that's a bit of a first in that area.
      And i'm not sure why this is up for debate, really. The worst that can happen is that a same-sex (oh no! /sarcasm) couple moves to the neighborhood you live in. And it's not like they're gonna try to change your sexuality.

Sorry, i think i got it a bit off-topic. ^^;

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces