Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
What's your Favorite Activity / Event at a Convention Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 pm
I'm curious as to what activities and events that Cosplayers and convention goers like the most at conventions and why. Yes it can be a hard thing to choose just one. In that case feel free to make a list of up to five things.

Here is mine:

1. Taking pictures of Cosplayers. I get very excited even a month before a con about taking pictures of the Cosplayers latest creations.

2. Going to the dealers room and artists alley. I never seem to have enough money. LOL I usually have an idea ahead of time about what I want to get. At my last convention I wanted to get both "Mokona's" for my Syaoran's Cosplay outfit. I wanted to add coolness and cute points to complement my outfit. All I need now is a Female Cosplayer to Cosplay Princess Sakura (From Tsubasa Chronicles) with me!! smile I'm always on the look for the latest things out their in both the Anime and Cosplay worlds. At the artists alley I really like checking out the artists creations. Having an eye for detail due to being a photgrapher I can appreciate what the artists do. Without them their would be no Manga or Anime!!

3. Anime viewing rooms. I love watching Anime in a convention setting. Sometimes I get to see Anime series that I haven't seen before and get to watch them with other convention goers.

4. Cosplay Masquerade. I look forward to and Love to watch the skits that Cosplayers and groups come up with. It's even better to cheer for your friends doing a skit. You never know what's going to happen at these events.

5. Cosplay Shougi - I have only seen this special event at Youmacon in Downtown Detroit. Shougi is a special form of Japanese chess. They set up a gym sized board and get 40 Cosplayers together to act as the Chess pieces. You never know who is going to audition to be the chess pieces. Each potential Cosplayer has to let the auditioners know what their character is, what their attack is, and how they will die when they are defeated. What I liked most at one Cosplay Shougi was when a big fierce warrior was going up against a really cute girl dressed up as a pokemon. The chessmaster running the girls side of the board had the pokemon go up and attack the warrior. She used what sounded like a "giggle" attack. LOL After a while the warrior conceded and walked off the chessboard in shame. A commentator asks each Cosplayer after they died what they thought about dying and their performance. I can't wait until November to see the next Shougi game.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:09 pm
Mine is shopping at the dealers room and at artist alley.

My second favorite is taking pictures of other cosplayers and having mine picture taken (only because it means the costume came out well).  

Jksmwla

9,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Friendly 100

Sporks N0T Forks

Tipsy Informer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:28 am
I like to participate in the main events like Masquerade, Cosplay Chess and dating games. I think it's fun and a great way to meet people. :]  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 pm
Jksmwla

My second favorite is taking pictures of other cosplayers and having mine picture taken (only because it means the costume came out well).

I know the wonderful feeling of someone wanting to take a picture of you in a Cosplay outfit. It was an extra thrill when it also meant that I did such a good job on my outfit that my character was recognized. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:56 pm
Sporks N0T Forks
I like to participate in the main events like Masquerade, Cosplay Chess and dating games. I think it's fun and a great way to meet people. :]

I Love the Shougi chess games. I have always been a really good "regular" chess player, only my Dad can beat me. smile Seeing Cosplayers posing as the chess pieces is awesome!! Good luck on the dating games. I have been happily married for over 17 years!! smile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm
smithers456
Sporks N0T Forks

I Love the Shougi chess games. I have always been a really good "regular" chess player, only my Dad can beat me. smile Seeing Cosplayers posing as the chess pieces is awesome!! Good luck on the dating games. I have been happily married for over 17 years!! smile

haha, thank you ^^.  

Sporks N0T Forks

Tipsy Informer

Jksmwla

9,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 pm
smithers456
Jksmwla

I know the wonderful feeling of someone wanting to take a picture of you in a Cosplay outfit. It was an extra thrill when it also meant that I did such a good job on my outfit that my character was recognized. smile

Yeah that's how I feel. I'm not usually fond of getting my picture taken but in this case it's fine.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:06 am
The Artist Alley and Gatherings are my favorites. And I always look forward to photoshoots if I have any.  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:26 pm
My favorites are Cosplay Chess, the Dating Games, and just cosplaying and walking around and seeing the other cosplayers.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:13 pm
Cariella
The Artist Alley and Gatherings are my favorites. And I always look forward to photoshoots if I have any.

Are their any particular photoshoots that you look forward to going to? I happen to like Final Fantasy the most, Naruto, and Legend of Zelda. I Love to watch the artist allley artists at work doing their drawings. Also I really like chatting with them.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:18 pm
My favorites are Cosplay Chess, the Dating Games, and just cosplaying and walking around and seeing the other cosplayers.

Checking out the Newest Cosplay outfits is always a thrill for me. You never know what people will dress up as. I have never gone to one of the dating games. Is it a "mixer" event? Or is a stage thing that Convention people in general can watch?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am
smithers456
Cariella

Are their any particular photoshoots that you look forward to going to? I happen to like Final Fantasy the most, Naruto, and Legend of Zelda. I Love to watch the artist allley artists at work doing their drawings. Also I really like chatting with them.

Oh, I don't really go to any photoshoots that aren't ones for me, if you meant gatherings I usually go to the Adventure Time and Homestuck gatherings at each convention.
Sometime I tag along to a Final Fantasy gathering because my friends cosplay from it a lot.  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 pm
smithers456
Checking out the Newest Cosplay outfits is always a thrill for me. You never know what people will dress up as. I have never gone to one of the dating games. Is it a "mixer" event? Or is a stage thing that Convention people in general can watch?

Yes, it is a staged event, though I believe it is also partially an improv act. At Anime Boston there are two Dating Games, the regular one and the 18+ one. Basically, the audience gets to watch as one character questions three contestants, and whoever answers the questions most to the questioner's liking wins a date with him/her. The questioner is separated from the contestants and doesn't know who they are, though the audience can see everybody. In general, the Dating Games are very funny.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:35 am
I might be ever so looked down upon for this but my first and favourite event at a convention is the voice actor panels. I am a huge dub fan so it's great to see my favourite actors in person and get to interact with them. Following that I love taking pictures and then strolling around the dealer's room.  

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:27 pm
Hoshi no Miko
I might be ever so looked down upon for this but my first and favourite event at a convention is the voice actor panels. I am a huge dub fan so it's great to see my favourite actors in person and get to interact with them. Following that I love taking pictures and then strolling around the dealer's room.

I have only been to a couple of the Voice actor panels so it's hard to give an opinion. As for Voice Actors themselves, I Love meeting them because I'm amazed at the talent that they have to be able to be the voices of so many Anime series characters. Having meet some of them I'm now able to pick out the same Voice Actors voice from different series which I think is cool!! smile Many of these Voice Actors help bring life and personality to their characters.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff