Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Gay Awareness In Various Media

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm
Soooo, I've been a fan of Macklemore for a really long time now and unbeknownst to me his new album features a song, essentially, about LGBT rights and fair treatment.

Have a listen.

It seems now that media nowadays is becoming increasingly supportive of LGBT rights and raising awareness.

Have any of you found any profound examples of this?

Do share c:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 pm
I don't know about radio or TV but I did see that movie "Partrik 1.5" and liked that and I am in my senior year of high school and we have a LGBT club and multiple awareness seminars during school to prevent bullying though I have yet to get involved in them.  

CuriousColt

DiscordWhovian

Junior Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:59 pm
One word: Glee

also Pink's dear mr president and Born this way by lady gaga  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 pm
WhovainKatCrane

I might sound God awful for saying this; but for me, Glee comes across as pushing the subject a bit too much. In the beginning it was like Accept this gay guy cause he's just like you and me. Now it's more like, Everyone on the show is gay, accept them all, now. I just find it a bit pushy. But that's "my" opinion.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 am
Onato
WhovainKatCrane

I might sound God awful for saying this; but for me, Glee comes across as pushing the subject a bit too much. In the beginning it was like Accept this gay guy cause he's just like you and me. Now it's more like, Everyone on the show is gay, accept them all, now. I just find it a bit pushy. But that's "my" opinion.

Completely agree with you.

As for lgbt in the media, there's PLENTY of it..

What everyone said above^^^
As well as Katy Perry's song Firework
Pink's "******** Perfect"
Pink's "Raise Your Glass"
And plenty of other songs and music videos.

As for films and t.v. shows, wow..
There's too many to even begin posting xD haha.
Also look at all the open lgbt celebrities, news people, athletes, and etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am
I mean, you never really realize how much media out there really supports LGBTQAI rights until you actually sit down and think about it.

Do you think it's simply a trend or do you think it's genuine?

As for Glee, I hate the way the show perpetuates the stereotypes and stigmas. I get that the show does it for all the cliques but in relation to homosexuality, they certainly don't present the image as it really is. :/

Lady Gaga...don't even get me started about her! xP

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am
There's the song Rise Against wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP4clbHc4Xg

I blast this a lot when I'm trying to blow off steam.

Mom doesn't like it though.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 am
Onato
WhovainKatCrane

I feel the same way with Degrassi. At first, there were a couple of gay characters (one being main, the other wasn't a main). Now, there are so many LGBT characters that I'm not sure if this is forced upon us or what.

However, the addition of the character Adam helped me to start understanding the internal struggles that a trans* member goes through.  

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Heartless_requiem

Tipsy Loiterer

7,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 pm
Neil
Patrick
Harris

that is all  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 am
It's not hard to find gay or lesbian characters in movies or on TV, and more actors and actresses are coming out. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Degrassi, which isn't something I've watched in years, but it brings back memories.
The show looks unrecognizable to me now, but when they first introduced Marco, I was the same age as the character, or nearly so. That must have been 10 years ago, now. It was incredible at the time, considering some of the only other gay characters on TV at the time seemes to be on Will & Grace. It was awesome to be able to relate to a character.

I don't know how many gay or lesbian characters are on the show now, but considering how long ago it was that Marco and Dylan "graduated", I'm not really surprised that they've introduced other characters who are LGBT, especially since they've gotten such a positive response for it in the past. It's pretty normal for there to be more than one or two gay kids in a school that size.

I seem to recall that the original Degrassi series dealt with sexuality, too, but I only ever watched an episode here and there as reruns. I do believe that show aired before many of our guildies were even born. sweatdrop  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas