Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
My problems.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Jeremy of Waffle

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm
I need help. I've got three big problems right now. 1. coming out to my friends, 2. Asking one of my friends (Who's probably not even vaguely attracted to me) out. Yes, there is a specific one I have in mind, but I'll let him remain anonymous. 3. not losing every single friend I have. The first two create the third, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Anyone have any ideas for what I can do?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:06 pm
Anonemuss385
I need help. I've got three big problems right now. 1. coming out to my friends, 2. Asking one of my friends (Who's probably not even vaguely attracted to me) out. Yes, there is a specific one I have in mind, but I'll let him remain anonymous. 3. not losing every single friend I have. The first two create the third, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Anyone have any ideas for what I can do?

My best advice is to pick the one single friend you're most comfortable talking to and the most certain will be okay with your sexuality and come out to them first. They don't have to be your best friend, just the one you think will deal best with this particular issue. That will give you a small support base and somebody to talk to about how to come out to your other friends. Coming out isn't like flipping a switch and then everybody knows you're gay; it's a process. When I came out to my close friends, it was spread out over the course of a few months, as I grew more comfortable and confident, with the aid of those friends I'd already told. This will make it the easiest on you, and it will hopefully help your friends ease into the idea too. Don't be surprised if they are a little surprised or even freak out at first. Give them a little time to adjust to their new knowledge and the good ones will stick around.

As for the asking out question, once you have that first friend or two who you can talk to about your sexuality, you'll have people closer to the situation who can advise you from a more informed standpoint. To be honest, though, if you're confident they aren't going to be interested in you, you're probably best off just pushing that whole notion from your mind, but without knowing you and seeing your interactions personally I can't say for sure. That's one of a thousand reasons why that initial support friend is so valuable.  

Purple Robot Queen

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am
just keep in mind that if your friends dont like you after you come out then they werent good friends anyways and you are better off without them in the long run

as for asking your friend out, just ease into it, dont rush it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 pm
I'm still sort of in the closet. I tried to come out and my parents had a big No in response.

I'm acting like it was just a phase while I work through college, then I'm moving to Ohio or something to transition in peace.

Best of luck to you though. Confide in someone you trust as well first, someone who will keep it a secret until you're ready to tell others.  

Okaminoyuri

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff