Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm
╔═ ☆ ⋆ ══════════════════════════╗

Hello, I didn't really know what to title this topic, but I think that this is close enough.

I just want to make a little place and discuss books that have some kind of profound effect on us. Like when you pick up a book and you just cannot put it down. Maybe it makes you laugh or cry or gives a new meaning and perspective to something in your life. Maybe it's not even the book itself but the characters the author has created effecting you.

All too often I find a book that I either bought on a whim or something I've been putting off reading because I don't think I have time, but then I do read it, and I get to the end and I just find myself starring at the last page thinking "now what?"

I just got finished reading John Green's Looking For Alaska, and I don't even know right now. I've seen all this hype about his book The Fault in our Stars all over the internet, so I figured that eventually I should read one of his books. I just happened to decide on that book and wow. It's not often that I find my self so into a book. It literally engulfed my night and I read it cover to cover laughing, and crying a bit too.

What are books that you guys love? Ones that move you or you just read over and over because you feel you have to?
(because I already have a list of 30 books I need to read, why not add to it!! whee )

╚══════════════════════════ ☆ ⋆ ═╝

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:35 pm
I often read bestsellers books xd .
I haven't read any novels since a long time because of school...
I rather watch tv :sweat...

Last one I read was My sister's keeper and I saw the movie too.

I don't have any list of novels I want to read, but I want to read book about how to be more confident, build self-esteem...
So I can improve myself.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

EarlsGarden

Newbie Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm
XxAriaxX
I often read bestsellers books xd .
I haven't read any novels since a long time because of school...
I rather watch tv :sweat...

Last one I read was My sister's keeper and I saw the movie too.

I don't have any list of novels I want to read, but I want to read book about how to be more confident, build self-esteem...
So I can improve myself.

yeah, I can only remember My Sister's Keeper having that kind of effect on me. Not much of anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 am
I have my three top favourites, they're all series', but I know as soon as I mention the first two, people are just thinking (as they have before), 'Oh, she only reads the books with hype. She just reads and loves the 'cool' books. The overrated ones.' But I'm going to say my favourites anyway.
In no particular order... The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susanne Collins. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling. The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness.
I love them all so, so much, and each and every one of these books has effected my life and changed me as a person in some way. They're just beautiful to me.
... I sould like a complete dork saying that, but it's true~
emotion_bigheart

possom4444

Pal

heartslob

Bashful Cutie-Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:44 am
i think that theres always those books that you read at a certain age that stick with you forever
for a lot of people its the harry potter series, and to others it might be the chronicles of narnia or maybe lord of the rings
but for me, it will always be the series of unfortunate events
(my first tat was a quote from the series, haha......)

theres also john green, but i didnt start reading his books until a few years ago
but he always amazes me. his books are always so deep and thoughtful, which is something you dont often find in teen fiction.
hes probably the most quotable author ive ever read. he just might be the greatest author alive
im such a big fan i have signed copies of two of his books
he is so. so. so. good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 am
Thundercat alpha
i think that theres always those books that you read at a certain age that stick with you forever
for a lot of people its the harry potter series, and to others it might be the chronicles of narnia or maybe lord of the rings
but for me, it will always be the series of unfortunate events
(my first tat was a quote from the series, haha......)

theres also john green, but i didnt start reading his books until a few years ago
but he always amazes me. his books are always so deep and thoughtful, which is something you dont often find in teen fiction.
hes probably the most quotable author ive ever read. he just might be the greatest author alive
im such a big fan i have signed copies of two of his books
he is so. so. so. good.
aah ! I haven't heard about John Green (since I don't read much). What kind of deepness and thoughtful things he writes about?  

Miss_XxAriaxX

heartslob

Bashful Cutie-Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:21 pm
XxAriaxX
aah ! I haven't heard about John Green (since I don't read much). What kind of deepness and thoughtful things he writes about?
oh, well....im not really sure if youre asking like what the ideas are in the books or what the themes are? so i guess i should talk about both. some recurring themes in his stories are travel, the future, uncertainty, identity, and how people perceive and construct the identities of those around them
but most important is death. in each and every one of his books someone. must. die.
most of them are coming-of-age stories that feature high school guys and their relationships: with friends, with girls, and with themselves. and though they are all very similar they are also all very different. one theme that plays a minor role in one book will play a major role in another, and though the protagonist and love interest are often the same basic people, the outcome of their story is always different.
you can see the similarities between how hazel has few friends in the fault in our stars and colin being similarly introverted in an abundance of katherines, but the fault in our stars is about a cancer sufferer who is pursuing a romantic ideal whereas an abundance of katherines is about colin's need to make a difference and break free of what he sees as a stigma of being a child prodigy - which is very different from being a genius, and usually amounts to nothing. you can see how they both have travel in them, but both serve different purposes.
the point is that although they have similarities, they are not the same story

but the biggest thing is that he is able to write about ideas in a way that make his readers think.
he talks about the universe and how it wants to be noticed, and how there is more to life and more to any person than can be experienced or known, how life is a labyrinth of suffering and the only way out is forgiveness (or death), and how some infinities are larger than others, and all these other big crazy ideas that often make you put the book down and ponder the idea for a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm
Thundercat alpha
XxAriaxX
oh, well....im not really sure if youre asking like what the ideas are in the books or what the themes are? so i guess i should talk about both. some recurring themes in his stories are travel, the future, uncertainty, identity, and how people perceive and construct the identities of those around them
but most important is death. in each and every one of his books someone. must. die.
most of them are coming-of-age stories that feature high school guys and their relationships: with friends, with girls, and with themselves. and though they are all very similar they are also all very different. one theme that plays a minor role in one book will play a major role in another, and though the protagonist and love interest are often the same basic people, the outcome of their story is always different.
you can see the similarities between how hazel has few friends in the fault in our stars and colin being similarly introverted in an abundance of katherines, but the fault in our stars is about a cancer sufferer who is pursuing a romantic ideal whereas an abundance of katherines is about colin's need to make a difference and break free of what he sees as a stigma of being a child prodigy - which is very different from being a genius, and usually amounts to nothing. you can see how they both have travel in them, but both serve different purposes.
the point is that although they have similarities, they are not the same story

but the biggest thing is that he is able to write about ideas in a way that make his readers think.
he talks about the universe and how it wants to be noticed, and how there is more to life and more to any person than can be experienced or known, how life is a labyrinth of suffering and the only way out is forgiveness (or death), and how some infinities are larger than others, and all these other big crazy ideas that often make you put the book down and ponder the idea for a minute.
surprised aah ! so... it's a sad story  

Miss_XxAriaxX

heartslob

Bashful Cutie-Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 pm
XxAriaxX
surprised aah ! so... it's a sad story
some of them are, yeah, but not all of them.
i mean, i guess it depends on the person? i dunno. XP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm
Simple.
This.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I haven't finished the second book.
The first book, ohmygod. I laughed.
But also, at the end, I cried my eyes out, it was so sad, the story is overall well developed and really delvs into a dog's perspective.  

Thistleclaw

Shirtless Elder

Harmonic Tune

Astral Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:17 pm
Shugg
Pink Angel series

Thats all i can think of from the top of my head  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:14 am
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham.
    It's written in the POV of Tessa, a 16 year old battling leukemia. It follows the last few months of her life, in which you explore her relationships with her family and loved ones, her feelings and emotions about being trapped in a failing body.

This made me cry, especially in the ending. It is one of the most touching books I've ever read, and I regret borrowing it to a classmate, who never returned it!
    D: I am /determined/ to get another copy for myself.

One series I am in love with is The Great And Terrible Beauty trilogy by Libba Bray. I love those series! /LOOK IT UP RIGHT NAO/

Another book is Such A Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss. Meredith is a teen who was molested by her father. He was sentenced to 9 years, but was let out in 3 on good behavior. She has no where to hide and has to face her father. Meredith is such a fascinating and brilliant character, and this novel is worth the read.

I can go on and on about these books. I'm not really into best seller books, such as The Hunger Games...

Marnomy

Pure-hearted Pumpkin

i W Y N N

Garbage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 am
One that moved me was The Name of the Wind. It just had a lot of touching moments in it and the way it was written, (someone said it in better words and more elaborately/eloquently) "a story within a story."
I don't know, it sucked me right in and spit me back out eagerly waiting for the next installment and with many feelings.
Beautiful moments in it and the main character is loveable.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 pm
Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind moved me like whoa. Laughed and cried while reading it, lol. It's been a long time since I've come across such a strong character and the story is just amazing.  

Taylonn

Green Ladykiller

the little madeleine girl

Dapper Dabbler

9,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 am

there have been several books that have moved me.

one of them was My Story by Dave Pelzer which is a compilation of his three books namely A Child Called 'It', The Lost Boy, and A Man Named Dave. it's the story of his survival as an abused child, how he struggled through his teenage life in foster homes, and how he eventually learned to forgive his abuser and move on with life and leaving the trauma and pain of his childhood and early adulthood behind. it certainly made me cry a lot more than once while reading it and i've read it more than five times ever since i found it in my school's library. and when i first started reading it i couldn't stop and i didn't do any school work until i finished it. i kept reading it during school hours too. and i was still hooked to it months after.

another one is The Lovely Bones and there are other books i can't remember right now...

18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff