Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
Tips for getting a job Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Okay, it seriously looks very loser to ask this in Gaia...
But, I did a lot of research online, read books in the library and... there is no improvement.

I'm 22 soon graduate from college. Many students in my program got a job while completing their degree. This is how it works here. You better search soon, so you'll have a better probability to get a soon right after you finish your degree.

I searched like my other colleagues, but my applications always turned down because they said my grades were too low. I was very sad and frustrated against myself that I couldn't get higher grades so I could be hired and work during summer related to a job in my studies.

Because it was harder than expected to get a job related to what I study, I decided to apply for other jobs like cashier, retail work etc...
I got turned down for those applications too . They said I have no experience.

I volunteered the summer before I started studying in college and this summer because I couldn't find a job. The other summer I had summer courses...
----------------
My rant.
My parents would always say get good grades at school. When I was a kid, I didn't understand why. Until I was around 10. I knew that I need to get good grades to have a better future, to get a good job and not have financial problems. All my life, I have been studying like crazy, but it wasn't enough to get a scholarship and not high enough in college as you know that no one hired me because of my grades.

Here I am 22 years old. The age where you get your college diploma (for those who pursuit their studies). The age where I have to find a job, pay my loans and stop being dependent of my parent.

I live with my mom. Every year, she gets older and weaker. Every year, she is unemployed for 2 months because there is no job at work...
I feel really bad that I can't help my mom. If I don't get a job in one year. We won't be able to afford internet as well as the appartement that I am living in.
My mom and I don't have a car because we cannot afford it.
We take the bus for everything (going to school, her to work, buying groceries). My mom often complains how she is tired, how she is going crazy, how when I get a job, we will better off. It makes me feel really bad.
------------  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:43 pm
I am also graduating this year, and in exactly the same position. It sucks but unfortunately it's just a crappy time to be looking for work, even if your highly educated or skilled theres just not enough jobs.
I'm in the crappy situation of being broke and homeless, and if i dont get a job in the next 6 months i wont even have my student loans to support me. There are lots of people like us who are finding it near impossible to find employment.
I think you just have to keep applying, i've applied for about 100 jobs in the past 2 years and only had about 3 rejections and no response from the others rolleyes my hope is that we just have to keep on trying.  

THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
Vice Captain

Original Fairy

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:14 pm
when it comes to lack of experience, volunteer. that can get you experience.
or seasonal jobs at parks. the one near me will actually train people if they have no idea what they're doing. pay sucks, but it's experience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:44 pm
Kitalpha Hart
or seasonal jobs at parks. the one near me will actually train people if they have no idea what they're doing. pay sucks, but it's experience.
I did volunteer 2 summers.
There is website for volunteering in my city but you know the ''volunteer'' position is not related to the jobs I apply.

Volunteering opportunities in my city is : Collecting money for charity, or cancer research etc (I did that), spend time with elders, type data in the computer (I did that)...  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
There is website for volunteering in my city but you know the ''volunteer'' position is not related to the jobs I apply.

Volunteering opportunities in my city is : Collecting money for charity, or cancer research etc (I did that), spend time with elders, type data in the computer (I did that)...

can you expand past your city, possibly to another one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:10 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Have you tried looking for jobs on snag-a-job? That could help and sometimes they even let you know what their minimum requirements are so you don't waste your time filling it out only got them to say no because you have no experience.

Also if you have friend and other family members ask them if their jobs are hiring because now and days connections are the best way to get a job since you know someone in the workplace.

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 pm
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Have you tried looking for jobs on snag-a-job? That could help and sometimes they even let you know what their minimum requirements are so you don't waste your time filling it out only got them to say no because you have no experience.

Also if you have friend and other family members ask them if their jobs are hiring because now and days connections are the best way to get a job since you know someone in the workplace.
The thing is no one is working in the field that I study nor their friends.

My friends do think about me when they know there is a free position for a job. But you know it's the manager /boss that has the power to hire you.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 pm
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart

I don't have a car. Going out of the city is more expensive because I pay the public transportation for my city. The other cities has their own public transportation company and so I have to pay an extra price if I go there.

My city is the most developed one. That's why living expenses are expensive. Like, I don't see why I would go elsewhere.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 am
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart

I don't have a car. Going out of the city is more expensive because I pay the public transportation for my city. The other cities has their own public transportation company and so I have to pay an extra price if I go there.

My city is the most developed one. That's why living expenses are expensive. Like, I don't see why I would go elsewhere.

the places that turned you down...have you ever said that you wanted to get the experience or anything?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 am
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart

the places that turned you down...have you ever said that you wanted to get the experience or anything?

When they say I want to hire someone that has experience, I don't give my cv because they don't want to take it and or they just put in the garbage. I remember this manager that asked me if I had experience in selling I said no and she just put my cv in the garbage when I left. When they say you don't have enough experience and they don't want to hire me. I say thank you for your time and I leave.

So... You think I should say I want to get the experience than...how ? since they don't want to hire me ?  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:42 am
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart

When they say I want to hire someone that has experience, I don't give my cv because they don't want to take it and or they just put in the garbage. I remember this manager that asked me if I had experience in selling I said no and she just put my cv in the garbage when I left. When they say you don't have enough experience and they don't want to hire me. I say thank you for your time and I leave.

So... You think I should say I want to get the experience than...how ? since they don't want to hire me ?

i've never had this problem @.@ it might be that you'll have to search abroad or something

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:49 am
Kitalpha Hart
We'll see , I just wanted to receive some tips.
Because what books, website write about How to find a job, How to write a cv, How to prepare for an interview,
didn't work for me yet.

Like I remember that I read if the interviewer ask you do you have questions ?
It is important to have some questions to show interest to the job you are applying.
There was a list of questions listed as examples.
One was : Why this job is available, why did the previous person quit ?
You know what I got when I asked that.
First of all, it is none of you're business. That person just quit this job.

Other question was: What is the routine for this job ? How do you form new workers ?
The answer I got was : Well, I might losing my time right now to tell you this because you might not get the job.

So you know. I can't even rely on what I read in those books that should help people find job !  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:51 am
XxAriaxX
Kitalpha Hart
We'll see , I just wanted to receive some tips.
Because what books, website write about How to find a job, How to write a cv, How to prepare for an interview,
didn't work for me yet.

Like I remember that I read if the interviewer ask you do you have questions ?
It is important to have some questions to show interest to the job you are applying.
There was a list of questions listed as examples.
One was : Why this job is available, why did the previous person quit ?
You know what I got when I asked that.
First of all, it is none of you're business. That person just quit this job.

Other question was: What is the routine for this job ? How do you form new workers ?
The answer I got was : Well, I might losing my time right now to tell you this because you might not get the job.

So you know. I can't even rely on what I read in those books that should help people find job !

some books are overrated, and those seem like they're a part of that clique.
good luck on finding a job...and an interviewer who isn't waspish (to put it nicely)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 am
The main thing I found with jobs is attitude helps, especially when it comes to landing jobs in a retail environment. I've acted like I'd get the job and got it mostly because of that attitude/confidence. Being able to sell yourself as a *Good* Employee because you're confident is a big thing employers look for

I also found that if you have a "Feeling" About a certain job, GO FOR IT! Don't hold back because it seems *Out of your league*.

If a friend has a job and is mentioning someone is a horrible employee and they are mentioning they need extra help at work, put in an application. Knowing someone on the inside can help you get a job rather than the guy no one knows.

Also write up a Resume if you can and make a lot of copies. It makes you look more professional in the long run. It also makes a good reference sheet.

I found that applying everywhere helps, and sometimes they won't call you back immediately. My first job was in an independent pharmacy. Minimum wage, but it helped open doors for later.  

Tarrien

Feral Mystic

21,325 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Timid 100

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 am
Tarrien
The main thing I found with jobs is attitude helps, especially when it comes to landing jobs in a retail environment. I've acted like I'd get the job and got it mostly because of that attitude/confidence. Being able to sell yourself as a *Good* Employee because you're confident is a big thing employers look for

I also found that if you have a "Feeling" About a certain job, GO FOR IT! Don't hold back because it seems *Out of your league*.

If a friend has a job and is mentioning someone is a horrible employee and they are mentioning they need extra help at work, put in an application. Knowing someone on the inside can help you get a job rather than the guy no one knows.

Also write up a Resume if you can and make a lot of copies. It makes you look more professional in the long run. It also makes a good reference sheet.

I found that applying everywhere helps, and sometimes they won't call you back immediately. My first job was in an independent pharmacy. Minimum wage, but it helped open doors for later.
How to look confident ?  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces