Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Can I get some advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bluedoom57

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm
I hate for my first post in this guild to be a problem but I don't really know where else to go. For awhile now, I've been feeling really lovesick, I really want nothing more than to be with an awesome guy, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to find one. I'm young, I know (sixteen), and I know that I have plenty of time to find someone, but that still doesn't change the fact that I want to be with someone. I live in the middle of nowhere, and hardly anyone I know is even bisexual, nor would I like them anyway. The worst part is society. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that society has been going very downhill in the past few years, and it's hard to find someone who isn't obsessed with "swag" and "yolo". I don't know what to do in this situation, it's not one I've ever been in before. Does anyone have any advice to maybe help me out?
Also, if you need anymore information, feel free to ask. I've never been very good at describing myself :  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 am
Hun, it's simple as could be. You probably will not find who you are looking for until you leave your hometown. Most people wish to stay in their hometown, but in your case, you probably will not find anyone there. But never the less, college is normally where two people find each other. You just have to go find those people hun. You've got time to find mr. right. Don't worry. It took me 19 yrs to find mine. And he lives 100s miles away in Puerto Rico (me being from coastal Mississippi). So don't worry hun. There is time.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 am
I'm gonna start with a cliche. You have a lot of time...and you may not know it...but for your age...you're too young to worry. When I was in your shoes (well not knowing I was bi at the time), I went from in love to single faster then you can blink. Yeah I felt bad...but I knew I was still having fun. Meet more guys, but at the same time know that there are millions out there that are single and just aching to find someone as sweet as you.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
I'm gonna start with a cliche. You have a lot of time...and you may not know it...but for your age...you're too young to worry. When I was in your shoes (well not knowing I was bi at the time), I went from in love to single faster then you can blink. Yeah I felt bad...but I knew I was still having fun. Meet more guys, but at the same time know that there are millions out there that are single and just aching to find someone as sweet as you.

Yeah, I understand that I still have plenty of time, and I'm still young. I can't help feeling this way, though. I know it's probably going to be awhile before I can meet anyone (especially given my living conditions), which makes it even worse. I feel hopeless, as much as anybody does in a similar situation. I feel like, with society how it is, it's going to be incredibly difficult to find the person for me, not to mention I'm worried that they wouldn't accept me anyway. I know how cliche that sounds, but I really can't help it. I guess I just need to know, like, how I might possibly find someone, or what I can do to get over these feelings better than just realizing that I've still got plenty of time. If that makes sense, I'm dead tired so I'm sorry if I'm wording things incorrectly.  

Bluedoom57

Lightsalott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 pm
I can honestly say I've been in your shoes when I was your age. The only thing I can say is that you need to wait for someone. Growing up I always wanted the relationships that my friends had, but I had to learn that my preference makes things so much harder for me. My small town really didnt provide me with anything as far as relationships. However, when I moved to a larger town that suburbs a major city here in Texas, I went boy crazy. I went on a dating craze, jumping from guy to guy. Want to know what I learned? That dating this young SUCKS. You have so much more to worry about; college, job, etc. Having the stress of trying to hold a relationship is draining. I've finally reached the point where I wish I just waited till I got my ducks in line. And don't worry, when you do find that person, you'll be happy that you waited.

Much Love.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 pm
I know how that goes, being in a small town during high school and only like 5 openly gay students in the whole place. I felt a ton of pressure and anxiety over how I should be finding dates and whathaveyou. I sat through a hand full of GSA club meetings just for the chances of meeting a guy there to woo for myself (never happened. :U )
But I knew pretty well enough that you can't just go LOOKING for a relationship.
Because chances are in high school you end up just picking one of the only guys available just because you don't have too many options. Dating someone for the sake of dating someone is not how a proper relationship is started. You gotta actually find someone you'd want to date first. And if you don't see anyone in your school or even in town your age that you'd want to be going out with, then don't worry about it.
When you're old enough to actually go places, (especially college) that is when a flood of options open up for you.
So whatever happens happens, but you can't force these things, so don't worry so much about them. There's so so much more to life than dating, despite what all the tv shows and movies and books and comics and videogames try to say otherwise.  

Enderlad

Bluedoom57

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 pm
Enderlad
I know how that goes, being in a small town during high school and only like 5 openly gay students in the whole place. I felt a ton of pressure and anxiety over how I should be finding dates and whathaveyou. I sat through a hand full of GSA club meetings just for the chances of meeting a guy there to woo for myself (never happened. :U )
But I knew pretty well enough that you can't just go LOOKING for a relationship.
Because chances are in high school you end up just picking one of the only guys available just because you don't have too many options. Dating someone for the sake of dating someone is not how a proper relationship is started. You gotta actually find someone you'd want to date first. And if you don't see anyone in your school or even in town your age that you'd want to be going out with, then don't worry about it.
When you're old enough to actually go places, (especially college) that is when a flood of options open up for you.
So whatever happens happens, but you can't force these things, so don't worry so much about them. There's so so much more to life than dating, despite what all the tv shows and movies and books and comics and videogames try to say otherwise.

I fully agree. When I was younger, I got into relationships just for the sake of it, and after they ended, I realized how stupid that was. I don't see myself dating someone just for the sake of it, I'm quite adamant about dating someone I actually like. And if I was going with what the TV shows were spouting, then I'd be dating everyone out there and having sex within the first couple days. That doesn't really sound too great to me.
I understand that I'm young, really I do. The previous poster, Lightsalott made a very good point, how it'll be stressful with all the other things I have to focus on. I totally agree.
Realizing everything that's been said, I still can't stop feeling bad about it. I guess it's something I'll just have to get over as time goes on, as painful as it feels. Which is the biggest problem, anyway. Ugh, I hate these situations.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games