Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
My conservative brother sent me this link.. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm
http://www.nohomophobes.com/#!/today/

And I can't believe he sent it to me! I'm really glad he did. Nice to see this from him. Perhaps some day I can come out to him.

Taken from the website
This website is designed as a social mirror to show the prevalence of casual homophobia in our society. Words and phrases like “f*****t,” “dyke,” “no homo,” and “so gay” are used casually in everyday language, despite promoting the continued alienation, isolation and — in some tragic cases — suicide of sexual and gender minority (LGBTQ) youth.

We no longer tolerate racist language, we’re getting better at dealing with sexist language, but sadly we’re still not actively addressing homophobic and transphobic language in our society.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:12 pm
Ah, I remember seeing this site before.

Checking out the stats for all time, it seems that "f*****t" is a popular word to use. This doesn't really surprise me, but the widespread use of "no homo" certainly does. Aside from people here making jokes about rap music, that one has never caught on in my region, thank god. I don't know how anyone can say it with a straight face (no pun intended), but to my ears it sounds as stupid as "swag" and "YOLO".

I was trying to read the tweets as they popped up; for the moment, a lot of people seem to be calling Tom Brady a f** (because he said "muah"?), and Anne Hathaway a dyke (because of a haircut). xp  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Pia Austin

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:43 pm
that's annoying some people and the f word man.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm
I didn't know f*****t was such a popular word. I assumed it's used often, but not to that extend.
I wonder to what percentage those words were used to intentionally hurt someone's feelings.  

MadPad

Fluffy Cat

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm
MadPad
I didn't know f*****t was such a popular word. I assumed it's used often, but not to that extend.
I wonder to what percentage those words were used to intentionally hurt someone's feelings.

Reading through some of the tweets? Most of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm
I say f*****t frequently.

Probably not in the same context.  

Hashtagihateit

Necromimi

Hunter

5,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am
Yeah, when I hear people say the word f*****t its usually when they are raging at a video game or something but it never really bothers me.

"No homo" is annoying to me. Only because being called a HOMO bothers me. (I'm weird, I know)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm
Yes and My nephew is 10years old and since he was 2 he was cursing like a sailor but my point my nephew says that stuff all the time my fam. doesn't know about me but evn still I scold him all the time about him cursing and especially when he makes racial,sexist, and Homosexual slangs like that I've mentioned the fact that he could be saying that and a he could be offending a friend of his or others around him he doesn't care or listen it's just in one ear and out the other.  

Raeiko

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 pm
In no way is it excusable, but most of the time the words arent used to intentially hurt someone. It becomes part of someone's language.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 pm
I'm not surprised those words where common to use, it's just that... I don't think they are used a lot of the time to actually hurt someone.  

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:41 pm
Love that website. Too bad they don't track more anti-LGBT terms than that.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 am
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Love that website. Too bad they don't track more anti-LGBT terms than that.
agreed they should include transphobic terms as well!!!  

NocturneKefka666

...Angel...Escondida...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Wow, that is so interesting and depressing.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm
That link made me wanna cry~ ;---;  

Almost Blue

Magic Kitten

16,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Cat Fancier 100

Amadeaus Demeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 am
I don't believe in bad words just bad people, I don't give magic powers to words. If someone uses a word to hurt someone else then that makes the person bad not the word.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff