Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Changes to Canadian Blood Services ban on gay male donors Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm
Quote:
Canadian Blood Services wants to change a long-standing policy that would allow gay men to donate blood if they haven't had sex with a man in the last five years.

It's a change from a total ban on donations from any man who had ever had sex with another man.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/01/12/calgary-blood-services-changes.html

So, instead of completely refusing donations from any man who has had sex with another man since 1977 (or women who've had sex with a man who has done so), they're soon going to be willing to accept blood from men who have been celibate (or sleeping with women, I guess) for the past five years.

Part of me wants to be happy that it's better than nothing, but ultimately this change seems pointless. I certainly don't think this is going to widen the pool of potential donors by much, anyway. It still eliminates people who could be great potential donors, and it does so simply because these individuals aren't celibate or straight. If I've been in a stable relationship for years, and neither my partner(s) nor I have any diseases or health problems that would otherwise exclude us from blood donation, how does it make sense to automatically prohibit us from donating?

As the recipient of donated blood myself, I am very grateful that CBS is careful about the blood they accept, but I am also concerned that they're refusing perfectly good blood and plasma based on politics rather than facts.

If you're curious about the kinds of questions they ask when you donate blood, you can check out the donor questionnaire here. After seeing question 11 (which asks, among other things, if you've ever had epilepsy), I guessed that I would be excluded anyway, gay or not, but there is a note on the page that says questions 1 through 13 don't necessarily impact your eligibility.

Anyway. Your thoughts?
Have any of you ever received or donated blood?
For those of you outside of Canada, what are the policies on blood donation in your region? If I recall correctly, there's a ban in the US, as well, but I'm not familiar with the policies elsewhere.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:35 pm
I'm a blood donor in the United States and currently the policy is that even if I had sex with another guy even once they won't let me donate blood, as well as with a person who lived in various African and European countries.  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

TheSlayerKills

Prodigal Shopper

17,950 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Party Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm
Alien dude2
I'm a blood donor in the United States and currently the policy is that even if I had sex with another guy even once they won't let me donate blood, as well as with a person who lived in various African and European countries.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that! I never really looked into donating blood since I've had a male sex partner before. But, I recently have been curious about what other restrictions they might have after taking a class dealing with disease. All I could think about was "Well, shouldn't they be banning this and this and that and this, etc." I really should look up their reasoning behind the ban though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 am
I don't donate blood so...  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm
Um... my question is, why ban them? I know in a lot of places there have been blood shortages (at least in the U.S.) due to lack of donors, why refuse the blood if they are willing? Honestly, a heterosexual guy is just as likely to have something wrong with their blood (examples: HIV or various STDs) as a homosexual guy. It's a positive change, but not much of one.... I agree with the view that it's more of politics than making sure the blood is safe.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm
Taeryyn

Anyway. Your thoughts?
For those of you outside of Canada, what are the policies on blood donation in your region? If I recall correctly, there's a ban in the US, as well, but I'm not familiar with the policies elsewhere.

My thoughts? 5 years seems just a tad bit excessive. And it perpetuates the idea that AIDS is only passed through gay men. It isn't. >_<

I've never received blood but I've donated. I'm O- which means my blood could go to anyone. Which I once thought was nice. Until the Red Cross started harassing me to donate. See, when I donate I would be borderline sick. Weak, dizzy. Then it got to the point where I'd pass out. So I explained that to the Red Cross when they'd call. They told me to drink more water. I did. They told me to eat. I'd eat before AND after. As in full meals. Doesn't matter what I do. So I don't donate often. And yet they still call. I've explained this to them and asked them to stop calling. They still call. Very annoying. I regret giving them my damn number. -_-

And as far as I know, the US does have a ban on blood donations from homosexual males.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm
I've lied many a time when i use to donate...for the main reason of the stereotypes that homosexual blood is tainted...but since reading the requirements...I've been in a sort of, protest, if you will, about donating blood. I know, I know, it's a stupid thing to protest...but I think the laws are wrong and outdated.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 pm
I don't know that it's necessarily the law that's the problem. This is a policy, as far as I know, not a law.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 pm
Not sure if protesting would do anything at all in this case. The laws are probably more political than for safety reasons since heterosexual males can have the HIV virus, as well as AIDS without knowing since in some cases it could take years for the first symptoms to appear.

The five year measure doesn't seem to be effective, it somewhat sounds like the Canadian government is trying to say "If you refrain from being yourself for five years we'll consider your blood clean". I doubt that they are saying that, however it does sound that way..  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm
Again, this is not a law (in Canada, anyway), it's a policy. Canadian Blood Services is a not-for-profit charitable organization, not a government body.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm
I know plenty of gay men in the US who just lie about their orientation and donate anyway. The blood still gets tested, so they figure it's the best way to go.

Since my mom's life was saved as a child by donated blood (went through a car windshield at age 2) I'm happy to see people so adamant to give blood. Personally, I don't do it, though. I'm an organ donor, so they can have my guts when I'm finished with them, but in the mean time I've been more selfish.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm
Lady Kayura
Taeryyn

Anyway. Your thoughts?

My thoughts? 5 years seems just a tad bit excessive. And it perpetuates the idea that AIDS is only passed through gay men. It isn't. >_<

I've never received blood but I've donated. I'm O- which means my blood could go to anyone. Which I once thought was nice. Until the Red Cross started harassing me to donate. See, when I donate I would be borderline sick. Weak, dizzy. Then it got to the point where I'd pass out. So I explained that to the Red Cross when they'd call. They told me to drink more water. I did. They told me to eat. I'd eat before AND after. As in full meals. Doesn't matter what I do. So I don't donate often. And yet they still call. I've explained this to them and asked them to stop calling. They still call. Very annoying. I regret giving them my damn number. -_-

And as far as I know, the US does have a ban on blood donations from homosexual males.

i have friends who donate every couple days it seems like, they are always bugging me to go. but im pretty anemic and any large amount of blood loss can really mess with me.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am
Purple Robot King
I know plenty of gay men in the US who just lie about their orientation and donate anyway. The blood still gets tested, so they figure it's the best way to go.

I may actually do that if I ever get into a relationship with another guy and it gets intimate. I highly doubt that it a person who's straight receives blood from a gay man that he'd become gay or burst into flames.

(..I just thought of that happening, it was funny as hell. Not the bursting into flames option, the one where the person instantly turns gay xd )  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am
Alien dude2
Purple Robot King

I may actually do that if I ever get into a relationship with another guy and it gets intimate. I highly doubt that it a person who's straight receives blood from a gay man that he'd become gay or burst into flames.

(..I just thought of that happening, it was funny as hell. Not the bursting into flames option, the one where the person instantly turns gay xd )

Hehe. Maybe we can spread like zombies! razz  

Purple Robot Queen

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 am
Purple Robot King
Alien dude2
Purple Robot King

Hehe. Maybe we can spread like zombies! razz

That would also be awesome  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas