Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
how to socialize at work...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 pm
This is my 3rd job after a very long time because I was studying, and this is the first job where I work with more people and interact with more people.

I was a shy person, I am still a bit. I try to socialize with everyone so people would like me at the job...

If you can give me any tips related to how to socialize at work... What should I be careful...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:53 pm
XD waiting for someone to share work experience etc.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 am
Hi Aria!

I swear I answered a question like this before, and recently too. I went looking for it and could not find it. rolleyes I will have to do the best I can from memory. I am shy too, and here are some things I have learned from my various workplaces.

* Socializing at work is good, but don't overdo it. You still need to get your work done. Managers pay attention to who's away from their desk too long, or talking too much, and they're the ones who decide who gets the raises. You may unintentionally piss off a co-worker from time to time, but they're not your boss. (Example: A co-worker's daughter got married and she brought the wedding album to show everyone. I took it to look at but once I got back to my desk I was too absorbed in work to get to it. I was going to look at it on my break. She came and took it back and said something like, "Well, if you're not going to look at it..." Sheesh!)

* Try not to fall in with the wrong crowd. Since I'm a good listener, I tend to fall in with people who want someone to listen to them gripe. A manager sees you hanging out with those kind of people, and they assume you're the same. I'm not saying you can't be friends with them at all, but don't make them your only work friends.

* Avoid gossip as much as possible. It's poison. You never know who's listening, and who's going to run to a manager and tattle. If you can't say something nice, try to avoid saying anything at all, or be noncommittal. Like if someone says to you, "Don't you think so-and-so sucks?" say, "I don't really know them well enough to judge". The way departments get shaken up, someone you talk about could be your teammate next week, and if you have talked bad about them, that's going to make working with them extra hard.

* Try to make an appearance at after-hours events, within reason. If your department is getting together at a sports bar for someone's retirement, show up and have a pop or something. You don't have to stay all night.

* Watch the alcohol at events. Don't make a fool of yourself.

* Be helpful. If someone asks you for assistance, make time to help. People like helpful people. Your job description probably includes a line like "Other duties as needed" which would cover something like this.

* Be flexible/positive. Change is a fact of life in the workplace. While your first impulse may be to dig in your heels when change happens, that's not going to make you look good! (Speaking from experience here.) Swallow your doubts and try to view it as an opportunity. (Easier said than done!)

* Want your co-workers to appreciate you? Volunteer to take notes at team meetings. No one ever wants to do it. It will also look good on your reviews.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm
I've worked in customer service a lot and the best advice I can give you is this; Treat each customer the way you would want to be treated if you were a customer. Not sure how that is? Remember a time when you've had someone go out of their way to be nice to you and be helpful. Try to recreate that with your customers. If you have a problem customer remember a few things; 1) you can't please everyone, 2) Nobody can fire you but your boss and if you've done your very best and followed all the rules, they won't 3) making people's life easier makes them happy, making people happy makes you happy and when you're happy and your customers are happy - your bosses will be happy too. Most importantly: forgive yourself. So, you mess up sometimes, so what? You'll do better the next time and the time after that. No reason to beat yourself up. 4laugh Good luck!  

oO0think

Dapper Loiterer

9,125 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
  • Full closet 200

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 pm
Thanks all ! blaugh  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff