Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ✩ MANGA
Least favorite genre? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm
Okay, it's been bugging me a bit.

You see people all the time asking for recommendations and they give you their favorite genres and ones they don't like.

I get the significance in this, but at the same time, seeing what they put seems kinda baffling.

Yaoi (gay), Yuri (lesbian), Ecchi (erotic/perverse), Hentai (smut), etc....

I get that these are for some reason against other people's preferences, but I just don't get why.

Is it personal preference? Forced preference? Is there reasoning behind the dislike, like a trauma or something? It just confuses and intrigues me.

So my question here would be What genre/s do you dislike and why?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 pm
Me personally, I don't really have that many preferences toward the genres themselves. It's usually just a matter of do I like this series or not?

I've read at least one thing from every genre and yes there were a lot that I didn't bother continuing. I can't entirely blame the genre, maybe I just picked up the wrong title, but of the genres there are 3 that are more against my preference.

1. Hentai. Why? Personally, I find them boring, they have no real story and even when they do they completely kill it with their hentai. I live for story and they have none!

2. Yaoi. Again, they lack story. With Yuri, you can find some relatively cute and interesting stories and build up, with Yaoi (at least with what I've read) it just seems to come across as awkward.

3. Horror. Honestly, this is just because I can't handle horror very well. Ever since I was a kind I'd scare easy..and even when it doesn't immediately scare me, I have nightmares about it later on. So I tend to try and avoid these, unless the description is too compelling and then it just depends on if it scares me in a good way or not.  

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

K-poplover44
Crew

Adorable Bunny

39,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am
my least favorite genre is Yuri, i just don't enjoy and like watching it. it just to hard to explain why i don't like it  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm
I wouldn't quite classify mine as "least favorite" but ones I tend to avoid the most, Yaoi, Yuri, reverse harem, or sport related anime because they never seem to impress me in any way  

xX-Azure Nightmare-Xx

Romantic Fatcat

Kimi Doodles

Dapper Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:50 pm
Zero the Crimson
2. Yaoi. Again, they lack story. With Yuri, you can find some relatively cute and interesting stories and build up, with Yaoi (at least with what I've read) it just seems to come across as awkward.

Just piping in to say (and I totally understand that it's your personal
preference) but while a large amount of yaoi manga are often just
plotless mush, there are also a lot of stories that feature boy/boy romance
while still have a rich and enticing story. Like Acid Town for example. It's
considered a yaoi, yet has a thick plotline centered around this young
guy that gets entangled with mob leaders in order to save his brother. So while it's
usually hard to find, there are a few really good plot-driven yaoi's out there.

Anyway, personally I'm not a fan of harems. I don't really know why, but
whenever the main character suddenly starts winning the hearts of like six
other girls I just... eh... it feels silly to me I guess. Ouran was the only
"reverse harem" that I could handle and it was barely that anyway.
I guess I just prefer straight-forward romances? I mean even love-triangles
bother me to no end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm
Kimi Doodles

Just piping in to say (and I totally understand that it's your personal
preference) but while a large amount of yaoi manga are often just
plotless mush, there are also a lot of stories that feature boy/boy romance
while still have a rich and enticing story. Like Acid Town for example. It's
considered a yaoi, yet has a thick plotline centered around this young
guy that gets entangled with mob leaders in order to save his brother. So while it's
usually hard to find, there are a few really good plot-driven yaoi's out there.

Anyway, personally I'm not a fan of harems. I don't really know why, but
whenever the main character suddenly starts winning the hearts of like six
other girls I just... eh... it feels silly to me I guess. Ouran was the only
"reverse harem" that I could handle and it was barely that anyway.
I guess I just prefer straight-forward romances? I mean even love-triangles
bother me to no end.

(That's quite alright) Yeah, It had crossed my mind that maybe I just had been finding bad titles, but after a while, it seems a bit too monotonous to even look. Shonen Ai titles have their moments from time to time, but personally I've just never found any Yaoi that's...interesting.

That's pretty understandable. Although, when you said Harem, I was expecting something along the lines of, "It's just not possible." type response. Since it's a relatively common factor for people to have something against harem series..out of jealousy..more or less.  

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

Kimi Doodles

Dapper Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:46 pm
Zero the Crimson
(That's quite alright) Yeah, It had crossed my mind that maybe I just had been finding bad titles, but after a while, it seems a bit too monotonous to even look. Shonen Ai titles have their moments from time to time, but personally I've just never found any Yaoi that's...interesting.

That's pretty understandable. Although, when you said Harem, I was expecting something along the lines of, "It's just not possible." type response. Since it's a relatively common factor for people to have something against harem series..out of jealousy..more or less.

The unfortunate thing about yaoi and shonen ai is that there is so much crap out there
that all of the good stuff is buried at the bottom, thus making it terribly difficult to find
something of high quality. Kind of odd that yuri often doesn't have this problem, or at
least as bad. Most yuri out there will have some sort of development beforehand...

I'm not really sure why harem anime bug me so much, to be honest. They
often just leave a bad taste in my mouth, maybe because I'm so used to
stories where the protagonist has one, maybe two, love interests at once.
There's no competition to win their heart, it's just a slow and deep
development between two characters. With so many girls (or guys) fawning
over the main character, I feel like it's harder to... I dunno... get to understand
each relationship and it's dynamics. Or they just turn out sort of flat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:53 pm
Kimi Doodles

The unfortunate thing about yaoi and shonen ai is that there is so much crap out there
that all of the good stuff is buried at the bottom, thus making it terribly difficult to find
something of high quality. Kind of odd that yuri often doesn't have this problem, or at
least as bad. Most yuri out there will have some sort of development beforehand...

I'm not really sure why harem anime bug me so much, to be honest. They
often just leave a bad taste in my mouth, maybe because I'm so used to
stories where the protagonist has one, maybe two, love interests at once.
There's no competition to win their heart, it's just a slow and deep
development between two characters. With so many girls (or guys) fawning
over the main character, I feel like it's harder to... I dunno... get to understand
each relationship and it's dynamics. Or they just turn out sort of flat.

That, there is.
It is rather strange, though it could also be due to the minds of the creators... though that would be even stranger, if you think about it.

I kinda see what you're getting at.
Personally, the only pet peeve that I have with most harem series is that you can tell who the main character is going to be with, within the first 5 episodes. It's only once in a blue moon you find one that's end throws you for a loop in the matter of who they're with.  

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm
I was going to put down "shoujo", but then you reminded me that hentai and ecchi are genres too, so now I'm changing my answer. I'm just... not really interested in that stuff.

In the case of shoujo, it's a genre that I view mostly as a romance thing. Mostly. There are the occasional shoujo manga that I will read, but usually they're too slow for my tastes. And too... not-shounen. sweatdrop

I can get interested in a character's emotional investment with another character as long as it's an actual emotional investment though...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:24 pm
Genre that bugs me is yuri, and this isn't a genre but I just CAN'T read a manga that has terrible terrible art. I'm a girl and sorry to say this but yuri just disgusts me...same as the other person before me, I might have just looked at all the BAD yuri's out there...it's just gross and...yeah but I have nothing against lesbians it's just the manga is weird for me

but yaoi on the other hand... heart heart heart I don't know what you guys are talking about but there are a lot of moving, sweet, and smutty yaoi's out there heart heart ex:Love stage heart

also terrible art just ruins everything for me. It could have the most thrilling storyline but seeing...that art...sorry but no...  

zeashell1123

Attacking Gekko

7,950 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • First step to fame 200

YaoiIsDelicious

Bashful Streaker

12,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm
Wow... no one has said my least favorite... shounen. I absolutely hate shounen anime. The plot can be interesting but once they starting fighting it gets extremely boring really fast. Anything with action and fighting, I cannot watch... the only exception I've found I could stand was Speed Grapher.

So much hate on yaoi and yuri! But it's understandable. There is a LOT of crappy yaoi and especially yuri titles. Yuri is really hard for me to enjoy because most have really crappy art. The only yuri title I've really enjoyed was by a yaoi mangaka. razz

Some people are just biased and find the concept of boy x boy or girl x girl to be disgusting and there isn't much I can say to change that. But if you have an open mind, and can give me a little bit of what your looking for in a yaoi manga, I can recommend you something. Feel free to ask!~ <3  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 pm
Well this has piqued my interest! Anyone else realize that people have started/ended most of their sentences with "I don't know why, but... "
Just sayin' biggrin

I wouldn't say I have a most hated genre. I just don't like manga's/anime's that are too easy to predict. With that in mind, I think of romance. I like side-romances but, when it's the main theme I usually end up not caring at the end of the manga. It is usually guy heart girl or guy heart guy or girl heart girl ~~You get the point. It will most the time end in a happy romance that is usually built up over time. But some do surprise me! but I don't have the determination to look through all romances just to find one that I like :3 Feel free to recommend

I guess I do have a most hated genre after all.
Meh.  

Malekki

3,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Valtiel the Watcher

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am
You.... Don't understand why someone who Is a straight male may not be into yaoi? A genre that doesn't target them at all? I mean if you don't understand the concept of demographics then sure, but if you're not the target audience then obviously the comic isn't creating something that appeals to your interest or makes any effort to relate to you. It would be like asking why a vegan may not like Anthony Bourdain or why a liberal may not enjoy Bill O'Riley.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:42 pm
Valtiel the Watcher
You.... Don't understand why someone who Is a straight male may not be into yaoi? A genre that doesn't target them at all? I mean if you don't understand the concept of demographics then sure, but if you're not the target audience then obviously the comic isn't creating something that appeals to your interest or makes any effort to relate to you. It would be like asking why a vegan may not like Anthony Bourdain or why a liberal may not enjoy Bill O'Riley.

Well, when you put it that way it makes sense, but at the same time. That's the target audience they believe it to target saying "this will be emotional and have little action, girls will love it" doesn't necessarily be the case.  

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

Valtiel the Watcher

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 pm
Zero the Crimson
Valtiel the Watcher

Well, when you put it that way it makes sense, but at the same time. That's the target audience they believe it to target saying "this will be emotional and have little action, girls will love it" doesn't necessarily be the case.
Well there are exceptions to the rule as far as individuals are concerned, and there are programs that do seem to break the concept of target demographics into dust but a majority of anime I have seen generally targets a specific group of people. something like that host club thing isn't going to hold my attention like say.. mu shi shi is going to, and most likely the opposite is true too.  
✩ MANGA

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff