User Image

a Horror/Institution roleplay
by SilentShadowDreamer

Profiles and OOC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 pm
User Image

A Campfire Tale
The Plot

Deep in the country and well away from neighbouring towns, there is a boarding school called Brookrose. Brookrose is a quiet school, not particularly well-known or prestigious, that can be attended by invitation only. Their standards for students are a little different than most schools; neither grades, money nor sports prowess will get you in. Only children showing unnatural abilities, termed 'psychic children' by hysterical gossip rags and believed to be a myth by everyone else, are allowed to attend.

Students are told that they are going to Brookrose to learn how to control their powers, but in reality, they are being sent away to hide them from the 'normal' people who think that psychic powers don't exist; the reality of these children and their abilities would potentially disrupt society as they know it. In order to keep them there for as long as possible, the school goes from middle school all the way to the college level. The 'classes' the children take actually hinder rather than help their powers. The true goal of the school is to re-educate them until they are capable of living as normal humans, not that the children in question know that.

When the kids graduate Brookrose College, they are separated into two groups. Those who have had their powers hindered to the point that they are basically normal are allowed to return to society after having two procedures done: a highly experimental drug is given to them to cloud their memories of their childhood and school years, and they are surgically sterilized. They're returned to the 'real world' with a flickering and uncertain memory, and no possibility of ever creating more children like them.

Those who have managed to hang onto their powers? They're taken to the 'nurse's office' and they're quietly euthanized. It's claimed to be a necessary sacrifice for the good of all.

The surviving graduates don't remember what has happened to them. No one outside would believe such a tale. The children of Brookrose have only themselves, one another, and their extraordinary abilities to rely on if they want to get out unbroken and alive.  

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:40 pm
User Image

Loyalty Above All
The Teachers

The teachers of Brookrose have two jobs in this school. Openly, their job is the usual one given to teachers - to guide and shape young minds through homework, classes and tests. Behind closed doors, however, their job is to break those young minds and tear away what makes these children unique.

These teachers have specifically been chosen for this task, and every one of them knows what their job is. Many of them have mixed feelings towards what they do, but for the most part, they believe that they are doing what they must. Some even take pride in the work that they are doing, feeling that they are helping to keep their world safe.

The administrators of the school are the only ones who have all the details of the procedures at their disposal, but there is no adult at the school who doesn't know that not all the children survive 'graduation'.

Is there sorrow, perhaps pity, perhaps grief? In some of the teachers, certainly. Is there an undermining of resolve? Not at all.

After all, they're doing what they must.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 pm
User Image

A Blight Creeping
The Students

The students come from all over the country, to a one invited by the school—coincidentally, they are usually invited shortly after they have lost control of their abilities somehow and are feeling awful, separate, wrong. Looking for any way to learn to control this unknown ability they have, the students have come to Brookrose hoping for salvation, but they will find no such thing here.

Psychic children are powerful, and the students of Brookrose are no exception. Aside even from their abilities, all are unusually strong in some way—mentally, emotionally, physically. They must be in order to cope with the extraordinary changes that they have been through. The Brookrose children are not human as society knows human, and for that, they have suffered. For that, they have grown strong.

For that, they will be punished yet again.

As of yet, the children do not know why they've truly been brought to Brookrose. If they ever discover the truth, their choices will be simple.

Accept.

Fight.

Or flee.  

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm
User Image

Held Down
Rules

- You know the basic rules: no godmoding, no cybering, no auto-hitting, no flame wars, nothing against the TOS. Since this is a literate roleplay, I will also reserve the right to ask you to edit your profile or to refuse it.

- There is an OOC thread, linked in the first post. Please take OOC over there.

- If you decide that this roleplay, for whatever reason, is no longer for you, please let me know and then write out your character in one way or another. If you’re so blocked that you can’t even write them out, you can feel free to ask me or another player to do it for you.

- If you are going to be away, or you have writer's block and cannot think of anything to post, please let us know in the OOC thread, especially if you have placed your character in an interaction with someone else.

- If you wish to roleplay a teacher, please contact me before you begin to fill out your skeleton, as there is some minor additional background info I will need to share with teachers that will affect your profile.

- I will not be accepting teachers who are sympathetic to the children and trying to help them escape. Not to say that your teacher can't be kind or understanding, as we don't need a bunch of drill sergeants, but they are going to side with the school should anything go wrong.

- Students know about their abilities. That is why they are here. If you want a student who doesn't know about their abilities, you had better have a hell of a story behind it.

- I don't want repeats of psychic abilities, because that's boring, so please check the abilities of other characters before you send yours in. If you have a power that you want, message me in advance and I will save it for you for a week or so.

- Please PM your profiles under the title "Anthem of the Angels."  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 pm
User Image

Building Blocks
The Skeleton

Teachers:

[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Name:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your name)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Age:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your age: between twenty-five and fifty-five)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Gender:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your gender)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Ability:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your special ability)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Classes Taught:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](what classes you teach)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Specialty:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your specialty – what sort of students do you mentor?)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Appearance:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your appearance. If it’s a picture, it must be linked rather than put in as an image; a detailed description would, however, be preferred.)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Bio:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](a short history)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Anything else:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](anything else about your character that is not their personality)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Username:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](who’s pulling the strings?)[/color]

Students:

[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Name:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your name)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Age:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your age: between eleven and nineteen.)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Gender:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your gender)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Grade:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your grade: between six and twelve)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Ability:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your special ability – why are you here?)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Appearance:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](your appearance. If it’s a picture, it must be linked rather than put in as an image; a detailed description would, however, be preferred.)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Bio:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](a short history)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Anything else:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](anything else about your character that is not their personality)[/color]
[u][color=white]XXXXX[/color][color=1][b]Username:[/b][/color][/u]
[color=2](who’s pulling the strings?)[/color]

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm
User Image

United and Divided
Current Character List

Teachers:

Philip Kearnsey X Twenty-eight X Matter disintegration X Fine Arts/Language

Natalia Devries X Thirty-two X Nullification X Vice-Principal

Nils Jensen X Forty X Power Mimicry X Sciences/Swedish

Diana Melbourne X Thirty-four X Memory erasion X Primary Nurse

Students:

Celia Rasan X Twelve X Medium X Grade seven

James Polk X Twelve X Psychic weapon X Grade seven

Elsa Smythesson X Fourteen X Cryokinesis X Grade nine

June Ribbon X Fifteen X Telepathy X Grade ten

Jake Williams X Sixteen X Geokinesis X Grade ten

Kayle Collins X Sixteen X Pyrokinesis X Grade ten

Antoine Martin X Seventeen X Teleportation X Grade eleven

Azariah Soule X Seventeen X Healing X Grade eleven

Alexia Cipriano X Seventeen X Acoustokinesis X Grade twelve

Bambi Fortuna X Eighteen X Chlorokinesis X Grade twelve

Timber Winterbourne X Eighteen X Telekinesis X Grade twelve

Sierra Rasan X Twenty-one X Death Sense X College Senior

Currently Reserved:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm
User Image

Pandora's Box
Important Information

School Schedule

Students have school year round. Semesters are September-December, ~2 weeks break, January-April, ~2 weeks break, May-August, ~2 weeks break.

Dormitories

There is one dorm for boys of all ages, one for girls of all ages, and a coed dorm for teachers. Each of the student dorms has one resident dorm adviser, usually a college-aged student, who helps with most dorm-related issues.

Boys' dorm adviser: Robert Agor

Girls' dorm adviser: Victoria Dunsmere

Mentoring

Each student has 1x1 mentoring sessions with a specific teacher. These can range from daily to weekly, depending on the student's schedule and their needs. The mentoring list is as follows:

Philip:
Alexia, Timber, James

Nils:
Kayle, Bambi, Elsa, Jake

Natalia:
Celia, Azariah, Antoine, June, Sierra

Please keep an eye on this list, as it might change following the addition of new students or teachers.

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 pm
User Image

Tell Me More
Resource List and Updates

November 18, 2013: RP created. Currently accepting profiles.

November 19, 2013: Still accepting profiles, looking especially for younger students and teachers.

November 21, 2013: Currently only accepting profiles for teachers and students under seventeen

November 22, 2013: Open!

Resource List

Having trouble deciding on a power for your character? Take a look at the Superpower Wiki for help.

Wondering how school grounds are laid out? Look here for a beautiful MS Paint map. Please note that there is a fence along the outside of the property, mostly to keep out tourists and etcetera.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm
Reserved

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am
Reserved

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 pm
I never wanted it to be like this.

It was always going to be like this.

We’ll do what we have to.

User Image

June.

The ceremony was over, and Philip waited to greet his mentoring students for the last time.

The five of them clustered around him, laughing, happy, excited about the graduation gowns they wore and about the future they were heading into. There was something missing about them, though—something that felt wrong for students who had everything ahead of them. Some light in their eyes had died, some part of them was gone, and though Phil knew what was missing, he still had to work hard not to worry. They would go on to live normal lives, these five, with no memory of what they’d lost. The surgeries, the treatments had all occurred last week—they would get to remember this day as their day of triumph rather than grief.

“I’m so proud of you,” he told each of them, and he meant it. “Write to your teacher once in a while, hey? I’m an old man and I like my snail mail.” He knew he wouldn’t hear from them. He never did. And that was all right—if he ever did, he didn’t know what he’d say.

Kaylie laughed and poked his shoulder. “Okay, old man,” she said affectionately as the others floated off, one by one. “But you’ll have to get with the times someday.”

He remembered how she’d been when she’d arrived, a terrified seventeen-year-old so horrified by what she had done. She’d never have to worry about it again—that psychic power, once blazing inside her, was gone now. There wasn’t even a flicker left of it. She could be happy. She could be normal.
(and if she ever reached for something inside, ever felt like something was missing, it would be dismissed eventually)

“Someday, but that day’s not today,” he said, trying to sound more firm and less like he was laughing. “Now go on, get out of here. I see some folks who’re also very proud of you and probably want to say so.” Pushing her lightly towards her parents, he added, “Don’t get too drunk while you’re out partying—those post-graduation hangovers are hell. Uh, I hear.”

Watching her beaming smile as she went to greet her parents, Phil felt the hollowness of the day more keenly. This should have been a happy day, for all of them, but all the joy was nothing but surface glitter. There were parents who weren’t in the crowd because their child wasn’t graduating.

They never would.

A crisp voice by his elbow said, “Philip.”

Turning his head slightly, he replied, “Natalia. What can I do for you?”

Normally he would have used her last name, spoken to her with more deference. But his mentoring students were gone and the graduates were happily focused on parents, family and friends. No one was listening to a teacher and the administrator.

“We need you for cleanup,” said Natalia. She looked as though she’d stepped straight out of a magazine, all professional dress and perfect smile—for the benefit of the parents and graduates, of course, not for him. After watching several of these ceremonies, he knew she’d keep that smile on until the last parent and the last graduate were gone. The discrepancy between the smile and the words would have been horrible if he weren’t so used to it.

“It’s finished, then?” he asked, with a sense of dull sorrow.

“Of course.”

Natalia was so practical.

“If you would?” she added, lifting a brow at him.

Without answering, he walked away. His feet brought him to the small brick building at the side of the school eventually—he knew where he was going. Poking his head in, he spotted the nurse tidying the bottles that contained all the daily remedies that a school full of active kids required. The woman didn’t even look up as she said, “Storage room three. Just like always.”

With muttered thanks, Philip made his way around to the back of the school, where there was a row of storage sheds. Students and teachers kept things in most of them—bicycles, books, anything that didn’t fit in their dormitories. But there was one shed that no one used, aside from once a year. Fishing through his keyring until he found the right one, he went inside.

There was no smell—they kept it clean. As his eyes adjusted to the dark, he saw the plastic tarp in the centre of the room. It was clear plastic, clear enough for him to see the pitiful piled bodies underneath. He could have turned on the storage room light, but he didn’t; he didn’t want to see the faces. Sliding a hand under the plastic tarp, he waited until his hand met cloth. Once it did, he focused and felt the gratifying surge of power.

By the time he left the storage room, locking it behind him, there was nothing under the plastic but a small pile of dust.

~

September.

Celia walked into her dorm room for the first time, pulling her suitcase along like a ball and chain. The room was the same size as her room at home. The institutional white walls and grey carpet were cold and about as bland as it came. It didn’t faze her; she knew institutions. This was no different from what she’d seen before.

Most importantly, it was perfectly, blissfully empty. She was in the room alone. There was no one here. She sensed nothing. It was exactly what she wanted. Setting her suitcase down with a small, relieved sigh, she flopped onto the bed. Maybe things would be different here. The teachers seemed nice, and they’d said they would help her with all the things she saw, and it would be all right. Maybe they even could. Wasn’t that what this school was for?

“You dropped this.”

Sitting up with an alarmed squeak, Celia stared at the doorway where an older girl in an ugly brown dress was standing, holding an envelope. She scrambled off the bed, puffing a bit, and took the envelope back. “Thanks,” she said. Feeling like she should add something, she said, “I’m Celia.”

The girl shrugged and turned to go.

“What’s your name?”

“…Elsa. I’ve—”

“I just got here,” Celia continued. Trying to be subtle, she peered at the older girl, trying to see if she could see through her. “It seems…nice.”

Elsa laughed harshly. “You keep thinking that. Look, I have to go.”

Celia watched until the other girl went around the corner of the hallway. Then she crept out of her room, taking her key with her, and followed—she had to see if Elsa disappeared.

Poking her head around the corner, she came face-to-face with a tall, angry-eyed brunette. “S-sorry—” she faltered, backing up, but instead of moving on, the girl only glared down at her ferociously. Celia began to get that tingling, terrified feeling that told her…

No.

“Get out of here!” the girl hissed. “Get away, get away from here—”

“W-what?” No, no, no—

Get out of here!” The girl’s voice rose to a scream, but no doors opened. No one came out.

And Celia knew no one else could hear her.

No!

It was about ten minutes later that the dormitory’s adviser found Celia sobbing in the middle of the hallway, completely alone.

User Image

The dead tell me their stories.

Fire shows me its heart.

Winter gives me its soul.

We will not be broken.

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

LizzieTheRose

Beloved Kitten

11,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 pm
"Music is what feelings sound like..."

Alexia woke up in a panic. "Mom!" she cried, sitting up straight.
Her last memory was her holding her hands on the side of of the young girl's head. An intense pain had shot through through her head as veins on her mother's hands and Alexia's temples popped out and the seventeen year old was out a few seconds later. 'Why was she holding my head?' she thought, 'Why did I start to hurt and faint? I remember she said there were police coming. Why though? What did I do?' Her mother's last words to her played in Alexia's mind. "
This is for your own good, baby girl. I love you. Don't forget that." she had said, looking at her with sad violet eyes. 'WHY!? What happened?' she thought, tears welling up in her own very similar violet eyes.
As she tried not to start bawling, she scanned the room, biting the sleeve of her gray over-sized sweater, and it was mostly white with monochrome tiles. White curtains surrounded the beds partially even the one the scared teenage girl was in. There was a plain desk with a PC on it and a glass cabinet with vials of liquid that from Alexia's point of view, she could only see half of. It looked like a school nurse's office.
Panic rose in her chest. 'Why am I in a school?' she wondered, 'I was home last I remembered! This doesn't even look like my school's nurse's office! WHERE THE HELL AM I!?' "Mommy!!" she yelled, starting to cry.

Emotion: Scared.
Interaction: No one.
Composition: "Franklin" by Paramore.
Condition: Does not remember her powers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 pm
Short steps, deep breath
Everything is alright
Chin up, I can't
Step into the spotlight
She said, "I'm sad,"
Somehow without any words
I just stood there
Searching for an answer.

June Ribbon

It was a time for new clothes this year, she grew a little differently each couple of years. One of her teachers offered to go with her to view her progression in public, this was a month or so ago, and she did about as fine as the school would hope for in their students. She was quiet, a little overbearing by the amount of people, and needed a break once in a while to sit.

She was pulling along a suitcase with some old clothes in it, just along the hallway slowly, she'd take it towards the mailing area to have them box and shipped out towards good will. Walking down the hall she noticed a dorm adviser and a girl crying just near the open door of a room. She wasn't as fast to action as the adviser, she figured he'd help her out, otherwise it seemed their meeting would have to wait. June turned a blind eye with a sympathetic smile, not wanting to embarrass the girl of any prying eyes other than that of authority. She's progressed over her years here, but her personality overall hasn't much changed. The way she carried herself, it was hard to tell since she moved in a graceful manner though still seemed fragile and timid. Distant eyes that were always watching curiously for every inch of detail.

Why do my words
Always lose their meaning?
What I feel, what I say
There's such a rift between them
He said, "I can't
Really seem to read you."
I just stood there
Never know what I should do

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:46 pm
I never wanted it to be like this.

It was always going to be like this.

We’ll do what we have to.

User Image

“Hush now,” said a voice, firm but not unkind, when Alexia screamed. The nurse appeared around the side of the sheet. She was not a big woman, and with her soft face and small, skinny body, it seemed impossible that she could ever hurt or frighten anyone. (Appearances could be deceiving.) “It’s good to see you awake, dear.” Turning aside, she pressed her pager button, knowing that Miss Devries would be down shortly to speak with this young woman.

Looking back at the girl, she frowned slightly at those startling eyes—she had been given the rundown on the one student ever to escape by her predecessor. Of course, that had been before Miss Devries’s time. Such things didn’t happen anymore. “You certainly have her eyes,” she mused aloud, and without seeming to realize that Alexia might have overheard her, she put a hypodermic on the small table by the sheet. “Are you in any pain at all?”

She didn’t seem interested or sympathetic to Alexia’s hysterics—and why should she be, when she saw much worse? Miss Devries would be down shortly to take care of all that. Her only concern was keeping the girl from screaming the room down before the administrator showed up.

The clicking of heels interrupted her routine questions and she looked up with some mild relief on her face. There she was. “That will be Miss Devries, dear, she’ll answer any questions you have. Don’t you worry, now.”

~

It took a good five minutes for Celia to calm down, but the adviser, who introduced herself as Victoria, was very kind and soothing. “It’s all right,” she kept saying, “lots of people get upset on their first day, it’s fine.”

Celia was too ashamed to admit that it had nothing to do with first-day nerves, so instead she nodded and asked timidly, “Do—do you have a student here called Elsa?”

Sounding a little surprised, Victoria replied, “Actually, yes—have you girls met?”

Celia’s little shoulders slumped in relief. At least that person had been real. Realizing that Victoria was still waiting for an answer, she contented herself with a quick “Sorta.” With an apologetic smile and profuse thanks, she extricated herself from the dorm adviser’s over-friendly helpfulness and turned towards her room, only to spot a dark-haired girl watching her from down the hallway. For an instant she cringed, thinking it was the vision from earlier, but no—this girl didn’t look angry, and she was much shorter.

“You all right?” Ever-helpful Victoria had noticed that momentary tension. “That’s just June—she’s a bit odd but she’s nice. People here mostly are. No worries.”

She nodded, tentatively, feeling better now that the girl had a name and an acknowledgement from someone who wasn’t Celia. “Okay. Thank you. I—I’d better get to unpacking now.”

As she turned to scamper away, she managed a shy smile at June before disappearing into her room.

~

In his own dorm room, Kayle was waiting for everyone else to get out of the hallways so that he could sneak out. Not that he really needed to. No one cared where he went as long as he didn’t leave school grounds. But if people kept noticing him leaving on his own, eventually someone might wonder why, and he really didn’t want anyone to start asking questions.

Besides, sneaking might stand him in good stead at some point.

Once he was fairly sure the hallways were empty, he walked out, trying to look casual (and probably failing). A quick scan of the halls assured him that he was right—Robert wasn’t about and he didn’t see anyone else, either.

As he ducked out the front door and meandered down towards the woods, he was thankful for his first-floor dorm room. The fewer floors he had to get down, the more likely he could get out unnoticed.

He was particularly careful sneaking past the teachers’ building, which stood between the students’ dorms and the forest. There was never any way to be sure that no one was looking out their window at exactly the wrong moment, of course, but he’d been lucky so far, and it wasn’t like they weren’t allowed to wander around in the woods in their free time.

They just started to look at you strangely if you did it too often.

Once he was well into the woods, he let out a breath of relief. No one should see him here. Stripping down in easy, habitual movements, he hung his clothes on a nearby tree. Then he stepped away from the brush, to a safe, contained area and closed his eyes.

Flames sprung up over his body, burning around his skin and over his hair, but he only felt a pleasant warmth that was normally so lacking in the air. The fire only burned for a short time—it didn’t take long to get clean with that kind of heat—and as soon as it died down he hastily dressed again and went on his way. Wandering in the forest for a while would make his claim of a walk a bit more believable.

User Image

The dead tell me their stories.

Fire shows me its heart.

Winter gives me its soul.

We will not be broken.

"RPC" *Roleplay Central*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items