Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
ACEN 2014 May 16th - 18th Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 am
Anyone in the Chicago area heading to Anime Central this year? 3nodding Its supposed to be another great year with the annual Soap Bubble, Masquerade, and the Crystal Ball shall return for another year! biggrin I will be updating the thread with all the news and photos of the amazing cosplays we have going on this year! If you have any requests exclaim or questions question or even fun comments idea just post! Happy Cosplaying! ninja
http://www.acen.org/  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:32 pm
glad to see im not the only one looking forward to Acen this year biggrin  

Shiny Chelle

Ruthless Prophet

15,000 Points
  • Healer 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:20 pm
Oh yeah biggrin It's hopefully going to be a great year! One more year until I can get a hotel room lol.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm
Alucardsgrl_123
Anyone in the Chicago area heading to Anime Central this year? 3nodding Its supposed to be another great year with the annual Soap Bubble, Masquerade, and the Crystal Ball shall return for another year! biggrin I will be updating the thread with all the news and photos of the amazing cosplays we have going on this year! If you have any requests exclaim or questions question or even fun comments idea just post! Happy Cosplaying! ninja

I live in the Detroit area and Love Chicago. I have always wanted to go to Anime Central but have not been able to come up with the time and or money to do it. I go to Shuto con in Lansing, Jafax near Grand Rapids, and Youmacon in Detroit. Just those 3 cons take a bit of an investment. Jafax is worth going to if you get a chance. I'm curious, what is the annual Soap Bubble? Also could you add a website link to the con so that our members can learn more about the con. Thanks.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm
Heres the link to the ACEN page for anyone interested in signing up or viewing photos from ACENs Past biggrin

For those of you who dont know about ACEN and it's wonderful activities, heres some info smile

SOAP BUBBLE
Soap bubble is a free rave starting from 10pm til about 3-4am. People pass out glow sticks, blare loud music, and dance for hours on end. Its the highest attending part of the convention and looked forward to by everyone (unless you have a bed time xd )

MASQUERADE
Every year, people sign up their cosplay costumes and skits to be performed and voted on by the attending conventioners. Lasting about 4 hours (depending on number of participants and length of skits, no longer that 2-5 minutes) A very fun part and a staple for those very devoted to their work.

PANELS
Everybody loves panels smile Most of the people are artists who are also in the Artists Alley (more on that later) These people talk about their work and even display some of their current projects and do it yourself lessons to get you started on your own smile A fun activity to do along with attending the game sessions, and hitting the arcade they set up to play and challenge fellow nerds and gamers.

ANIMES (And the Hentai after hours)
Yes that is right, some of the many rooms in the hotel where they host ACEN is filled with many different episodes of many peoples favorite animes and they run all day smile but after the kids have gone to bed, midnight showings of Hentai, Yoai and Yuri are shown for those who enjoy a little humor and romance to end our nights. Sorry kiddies but only 18 and older with a valid ID are allowed inside razz

ARTIST ALLEY
Like many Gaians, there are people who make art and anime for a living. Well those people sign up to have their own booth and sell their hard earned merchandise for cash moneys! Some even set up booths to take requests and then have you pick up your custom work of art! A great thing to get if you ever wanted to see yourself as a chibi :3

SHOPPING!!!
Where would we be without things to buy? There are many vendors who come in and sell items such as Manga and Anime collections, collectables, figurines, grab bags (Bags ranging in price from $5 to $25 filled with random goodies from the Con) and clothing. There is also many vendors who sell full fledged cosplay outfits from your favorite characters, and even accessories to get your dream cosplay just right ;D So if you have anything your missing you are sure to find it here!

PHOTOSHOOTS
This is fun for everybody. Every year they take different video games, anime, mangas, and movies, and have every one who is dressed as a character from that title get together where all attendees can get pics of these hard working cosplayers. If your lucky, you can even get characters acting out scenes with each other. If you seem someone you like but they aren't part of a photo shoot, DON'T BE SHY!!! We love getting stopped and asked for pics! biggrin Thats why we dress up is to be admired by loving fans!

If you have anymore questions, or would like to know more about this convention, or you plan on going and would like some knowledgeable experience (Going on year 8 of attendance here!) Just let me know! smile Enjoy your day!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm
Alucardsgrl_123
Heres the link to the ACEN page for anyone interested in signing up or viewing photos from ACENs Past biggrin

Thank You very much for all of the info. It's very helpful. smile I do plan on going to ACen sometime in the future. Perhaps next year. Being a Cosplay Photographer I would Love to check out all of the Cosplayers and find interesting spots for photos. Did I mention that I Love Chicago!!  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Conreviews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 am
Im gonna try to go! i went in 2012 but missed it in 2013! i wanna go so bad!!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm
Conreviews

I'm curious what did you like best about ACen back in 2012 and why do you want to go so badly this year? I have never gone myself and want to hear what makes this one of the must cons to go to.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 pm
smithers456
Conreviews

I'm curious what did you like best about ACen back in 2012 and why do you want to go so badly this year? I have never gone myself and want to hear what makes this one of the must cons to go to.

Honestly it has to do with the atmosphere. They are very professional about it and still know how to have fun. The activities ensure everyone can have fun, even the kiddies smile Its just great to have people of all ages and background come together in a big hotel and convention center and have fun while finding new friends with similar hobbies and interests. Plus the fun of dressing up, and getting cool items is always great smile I look forward to meet people and showing off the hard work I put into my cosplays.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:40 pm
Alucardsgrl_123
smithers456
Conreviews

Honestly it has to do with the atmosphere. They are very professional about it and still know how to have fun. The activities ensure everyone can have fun, even the kiddies smile Its just great to have people of all ages and background come together in a big hotel and convention center and have fun while finding new friends with similar hobbies and interests. Plus the fun of dressing up, and getting cool items is always great smile I look forward to meet people and showing off the hard work I put into my cosplays.

That all sounds wonderful. I have heard nothing but good things about ACen in the past and have wanted to go myself. I even have friends that I met on Deviant Art that I can finally meet in person when I finally go. I'm glad that they are making a big effort at this con to keep it fun and interesting. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 am
Alright fellow Guild Members! smile I have bought my badge and I am gearing up for another fabulous weekend at ACEN this May. I will be attempting to post my cosplays on the threads so feel free to let me know how they are smile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:35 pm
Alucardsgrl_123
Alright fellow Guild Members! smile I have bought my badge and I am gearing up for another fabulous weekend at ACEN this May. I will be attempting to post my cosplays on the threads so feel free to let me know how they are smile

Hi, feel free to post your cosplay photos either here on your Acen thread or on the Photos thread. I can't wait to see how things turn out. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Shiny Chelle

Ruthless Prophet

15,000 Points
  • Healer 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:54 pm
smithers456
Conreviews

Order a badge and bring your camera! Only way to find out biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Shiny Chelle
smithers456
Conreviews

Order a badge and bring your camera! Only way to find out biggrin

I Love Chicago and I have heard many great things about this con. Also I have some dear friends that I want to finally meet at ACen. I can't go this year but I will definitely look into going to the con next year. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 am
I am thinking about going ... Just have to convince my friends!  
Midwest Conventions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff