Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
What do you think about Crossplay Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:20 am
I've noticed that ever since I started going to Anime / Cosplay conventions that their are a large number of Cosplayers and Crossplayers. The idea of Crossplay is not a new one. Back centuries ago women in the theatre on stage would often dress up and play male characters. One of the reasons is that their were not many men interested in theatre at that time so their was a shortage of male characters. In these times I have seen both men dressed up as female Cosplay / Anime characters and women dressed up as male characters. Most of the time this is easily accepted at the conventions which I think is really nice.

I have always believed that everyone should be treated equal and with respect no matter what gender, life style, religion, age, race, occupation, lack of occupation, etc. Being an older cosplayer I feel at ease cosplaying even though I'm twice many other Cosplayers ages. I'm always amazed at the talent that both cosplayers and crossplayers have to create outfits and be in character. Many of them look like they just got off a movie set or off of a Broadway stage.

I'm proud to be a cosplayer and I Love Anime. This is why I have been in this guild for well over a year. I do not crossplay myself but I do welcome all crossplayers and cosplayers to this guild. Being a crew member of this guild I have the privilege to welcome both to the guild. Please forgive me if I confuse things because I don't know a lot about crossplay.

Feel free to talk about crossplay on this guild and in this thread I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about crossplaying. I want to learn more about what members go through to create a crossplay outfit and how well things have turned out. Personally I want to learn more about crossplay so that I can help out members in this guild better when they have questions about it. Also I would like members to post on this topic whether they crossplay or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 pm
I don't crossplay, but I know a lot of crossplayers (mostly female) they usually crossplay their favorite character *usually a shota boy type* and some of them pull the characters off really well *also in my head I think I would look hilarious dressed up as a girl lol*  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am
Most of my friends and I crossplay. Many of my favorite characters a male, so why not cosplay as them? It becomes a fun challenge!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 pm
xinitia
Most of my friends and I crossplay. Many of my favorite characters a male, so why not cosplay as them? It becomes a fun challenge!

What was the hardest Crossplay character and or outfit that you came up with?  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 pm
smithers456
xinitia

Hmm... That's a tough question...

Gray from Fairy Tail, Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin, and Iron Fist from Marvel Comics required the most logistics because they're shirtless. I was able to get a flesh-colored leotard, but haven't had a chance to add shading to it, yet.
User Image(I'm on the left)

Is that what you meant by difficult?

One of my more convincing was probably my new Musica from Rave Master. My proof? I was kicked out of the women's bathroom... twice... in the same day. I'd consider that a success.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 pm
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia

Gray from Fairy Tail, Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin, and Iron Fist from Marvel Comics required the most logistics because they're shirtless. I was able to get a flesh-colored leotard, but haven't had a chance to add shading to it, yet.

One of my more convincing was probably my new Musica from Rave Master. My proof? I was kicked out of the women's bathroom... twice... in the same day. I'd consider that a success.

User Image

Yes, xinitia you definitely answered my question about difficult Crossplay outfits. That's amazing that you made an outfit so well that you got kicked out of the women's bathroom. You are really talented!!  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm
Crossplaying is something I find truly wonderful. The methods used for gender performance just mesmerizes me.

All the power to the crossplayers out there. : D  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm
smithers456
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia

User Image

Yes, xinitia you definitely answered my question about difficult Crossplay outfits. That's amazing that you made an outfit so well that you got kicked out of the women's bathroom. You are really talented!!

I'm really proud of my cosplay, but I've found that, more than cosplay construction, your body language does more for a successful crossplay than anything.  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm
Many Cosplayers that I have seen over the years are very talented in making their outfits and being in character. Crossplayers have an ever bigger challenge by coming up with techniques to make themselves believable as a member of the opposite sex. Coming up with a Crossplay outfit I consider to be a true art form. Good luck to anyone that take up the challenge of creating a crossplay outfit. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, Crossplaying has gone on for centuries so those of you that take up the challenge are continuing an honored, time tested, tradition. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:17 am
Out of the 12 or so cosplays I've done, 5 of them have been of female characters the rest have been male.

I prefer crossing playing as guys due to comfort and modesty. I don't like my body showing all that much, so the more covered outfits the guys in anime wear suit me better. I also make an amazing man. biggrin

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Next-up-to-bat-203650322

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Superboy-NYCC-2013-Cosplay-419890743

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Shikamaru-Nara-82881734  

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 pm
Son Goshi-kun
Out of the 12 or so cosplays I've done, 5 of them have been of female characters the rest have been male.

I prefer crossing playing as guys due to comfort and modesty. I don't like my body showing all that much, so the more covered outfits the guys in anime wear suit me better. I also make an amazing man. biggrin

I checked out your Cosplays / Crossplays. You did a great job on them!! I checked out your Deviant Art page as well. You are also an incredible photographer. Make sure that you check my Deviant Art Cosplay Photography page. Keep up the good work. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm
Son Goshi-kun

Nicely done! I gotta agree with you on the.. modesty of guy's outfits. I really like your wig work, by the way.  

xinitia

Crew

Jani Seguchi1

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:02 pm
I have never had a problem seeing anyone crossplaying. I mean I think if you are a person of a certain gender and your favorite character is of the opposite gender I say go for it. I have seen some people who have pulled it off quite well. And I must say the ones I have seen you certainly can't tell if they are male or female in a male outfit until you hear them speak. They pull it off that well. I have also seen males in female clothes. Quite interesting if you ask me.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm
Jani Seguchi1
I have never had a problem seeing anyone crossplaying. I mean I think if you are a person of a certain gender and your favorite character is of the opposite gender I say go for it. I have seen some people who have pulled it off quite well. And I must say the ones I have seen you certainly can't tell if they are male or female in a male outfit until you hear them speak. They pull it off that well. I have also seen males in female clothes. Quite interesting if you ask me.

The Sailor Moon series is quite popular and I have seen a few guys dress up as the scouts and they seemed comfortable doing so and they were easily accepted at conventions.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Jani Seguchi1

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:43 pm
smithers456
Jani Seguchi1

The Sailor Moon series is quite popular and I have seen a few guys dress up as the scouts and they seemed comfortable doing so and they were easily accepted at conventions.

I have seen man Misty before. Quite interesting if you ask me. But yeah there have been quite the number of male crossplay costumes I have seen and some can actually pull it off.  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff