Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Do I have to have kids? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:40 pm
Do I have to get married? Not a really serious question but something that crossed my mind while babysitting. When (if) I get married I don't want kids. I don't particularly dislike kids but i mpst certainly don't want them in my house. But whenever the topic comes up i always hear from fellow church members and family "but God wants you to have kids" and other types of pressure and it really makes me uncomfortable because they're obsessed with kids now that my cousins are starting to get married. I'm quite sur God didn't make kids a life requirement.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:56 pm
1 Corinthians /-9
Teachings on Marriage
…Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

If it is not necessary for everyone to marry, then logically it is not necessary for everyone to have offspring.

You only read in Genesis 1:28 to be fruitful and multiply. To fill the Earth and subdue it. There is currently 7 billion people on Earth... I'd say it is no longer necessary for everyone to be fruitful since we have filled most of the Earth,
According to the most recent United Nations estimates, the human population of the world is expected to reach 8 billion people in the spring of 2024.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:59 pm
Garland-Green
1 Corinthians /-9
Teachings on Marriage
…Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

If it is not necessary for everyone to marry, then logically it is not necessary for everyone to have offspring.

You only read in Genesis 1:28 to be fruitful and multiply. To fill the Earth and subdue it. There is currently 7 billion people on Earth... I'd say it is no longer necessary for everyone to be fruitful since we have filled most of the Earth,
According to the most recent United Nations estimates, the human population of the world is expected to reach 8 billion people in the spring of 2024.

That first bible verse is so weird to me because Jesus seems so apathetic towards marriage. So does that mean marriage is more a societal pressure?  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:16 am
ChibiHigh
Garland-Green
1 Corinthians /-9
Teachings on Marriage

That first bible verse is so weird to me because Jesus seems so apathetic towards marriage. So does that mean marriage is more a societal pressure?

It is Paul saying this to the Corinthians. He's saying it is better to remain unmarried because you have more time then to devote to God.

1 Corinthians7:33-35
but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband. This I say for your own benefit; not to put a restraint upon you, but to promote what is appropriate and to secure undistracted devotion to the Lord.

So it is not a commandment, but a recommendation. Neither is the a commandment to get married, unless you struggle with lust. Then it is fare better to get married than to burn with desire.

1 Corinthians 7:8-16
Teachings on Marriage
…8But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband 11 (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. 16 For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

On a side note it is interesting that the Apostles fought for the right to marry.

1 Corinthians 9:4-6
The Rights of the Apostles
…4Do we not have a right to eat and drink? 5Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? 6Or do only Barnabas and I not have a right to refrain from working?…  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:27 am
I think (correct me if I'm wrong with this) there is a Spiritual Gift of singleness or something like that, but I might be mixing up with something else though....  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 am
Great discussion topic. I, myself, have never felt the need to marry or to find someone to live with as such. I'd be happy with just a roommate and my dog...doing my own thing.

Good verses... now I'm more confident in remaining single.  

Literate Dork

Witty Flatterer

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:14 pm
musasgal
I think (correct me if I'm wrong with this) there is a Spiritual Gift of singleness or something like that, but I might be mixing up with something else though....

Yes, in what Garland quoted (1 Corinthians 7) Paul alludes to the gift of celibacy. Paul didn't marry (and thus didn't have sex, let alone kids).

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:7-9 (NIV)

7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Footnotes:

a. 1 Corinthians 7:8 Or widowers

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:24 pm
It's kinda depressing in a way  

ChibiHigh

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 pm
ChibiHigh

How so?  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:30 pm
real eyes realize
musasgal

Yes, in what Garland quoted (1 Corinthians 7) Paul alludes to the gift of celibacy. Paul didn't marry (and thus didn't have sex, let alone kids).

Quote:

7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Footnotes:

Thought so.

Chibi, it's not nessarly depressing. If God wants you have that Gift, there must be a reason behind it. In any case, pray about it, and ask why. But also keep in mind that God has given you other Gifts and talents that is tailored to you and you alone.  

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:17 pm
musasgal
real eyes realize
musasgal

Quote:

Footnotes:

Thought so.

Chibi, it's not nessarly depressing. If God wants you have that Gift, there must be a reason behind it. In any case, pray about it, and ask why. But also keep in mind that God has given you other Gifts and talents that is tailored to you and you alone.

I would love to know what those are -_- my pastor's wife held a bible study about biblical gifts recently  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:21 pm
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh

How so?

It has more to do with my own skewed perception. The bible says marriage isn't necessary. It's like it's only a tool to keep you from lusting. Kinda like how God was against divorce but allowed the Jews to divorce (if the reason was adultery). It's also not guaranteed. So I might not ever get married; even if I wanted to, I don't get everything I want because it might not be a part of God's plan.  

ChibiHigh

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:09 am
ChibiHigh
musasgal
real eyes realize
musasgal

Quote:

Footnotes:

Thought so.

I would love to know what those are -_- my pastor's wife held a bible study about biblical gifts recently

Ah, that you have to find out yourself. Ask your pastor about something called a Spiritual Gift test. It will help you to find out what they are, and how it can benefit in God's Kingdom. If you want to take a test online, you can, but they varies on questions, so the results might differ. Spiritual Gifts can change from time to time, so keep talking to God when that happens. You never know if your favorite thing you do can turn out as a Spiritual Gift.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:12 am
ChibiHigh
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh

How so?

It has more to do with my own skewed perception. The bible says marriage isn't necessary. It's like it's only a tool to keep you from lusting. Kinda like how God was against divorce but allowed the Jews to divorce (if the reason was adultery). It's also not guaranteed. So I might not ever get married; even if I wanted to, I don't get everything I want because it might not be a part of God's plan.

Well in the mean time, as you're figuring out whether marriage is for you or not, figuring out what your gifts might be, and praying about such things to God for revelation, focus on becoming more like Jesus in your surrounding circumstances, with the people you interact with throughout the day: be the selfless servant. Things should fall into place. And once you've laid out your requests to our Heavenly Father in prayer, don't forget to shift focus back to your current situations, thanking him for what you have right now (as bad as they might be, because they could be worse) and not so much on the "what's to come".

Quote:
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Quote:
1 Peter 2:15 (NIV)

15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.

Quote:
Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

That you're focusing on what "you" want, to the point of finding it depressing if God tells you to refrain from doing something or to go do something, means this still isn't true for you:

Quote:
Psalm 73:25 (NIV)

25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
     And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

Quote:
Matthew 19:29 (NIV)

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Quote:
Matthew 16:24 (NIV)

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

It should no longer be about "you" primarily. Stop caring about what you want so much and recognize that whatever He wills will work out better for you and others in the long run. Just be prayerful about it, asking him for the discernment to recognize what that is and the grace to accept it once you realize it. That's why Jesus ended his prayers with "not my will, but yours be done". Deny "self" / deny "you" because what you're getting in return is better.

Two opposite examples:

Quote:
Matthew 19:21-22 (NIV)

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Quote:
Matthew 13:44 (NIV)

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

The former example is a person who was like, "aw man :l I didn't get what I want (keep wealth) in order to get the kingdom of heaven/ inherit eternal life"; the latter is like, "wow, nothing on earth, nothing in my possession is greater than this kingdom of heaven he's offering; You're telling me I have to give up everything in my possession to acquire this? Take it! It's worth it." I would pray as well along the lines of, "Heavenly Father, please help me accept your will so that all of your children may benefit, not just me and what I personally wish for, but them and you as well. What would bring the most blessings for all involved and glorify you most".  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Elena Kiara

Friendly Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am
ChibiHigh
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh

How so?

I've heard of prayers that say something along the lines of: "Lord, please give me ___________ or some indication of it... Otherwise, please take away my desires for _________."
Okay, not as simple like that, but you get the main idea. :3 I myself would like to marry and have someone to take care of but I think God has something else planned for me. So, we can only pray and see what's in store.

Christian Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff