Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Bibical Questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shamoalo

Feral Gekko

8,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 am
SO here are a couple things I just want clarification on!

I am currently in proverbs. within a 3 chapter span, there are multiple sightings on "better to live on the corner of a roof than to live with a quarrelsome wife".

This is stated like 5-6 times. So just to clarify; What would this be considered?
If I ever did get married, I don't want my husband to come home from work and just be fighting with him all the time. Sometimes when he comes home the water heater might be broken, or stuff that I don't know how to fix that needs pretty quick attention will need looked at. Am I making any sense? I don't want to bombard him with stuff then we just stat fighting. Is this a scenario that fits the description in the bible? If so, Or if not, what does this verse mean and how can I be a better wife and not fight with my husband when certain situations arise? (I know communication is key, and how you present it may help, and stuff like that)

So confusing! lol

And for the second one...
I know here in America, it is illegal to drink until you are 21. Other parts of the world its 18, sometimes even 16. I came across a couple verses that were super true! Proverbs 23:30-35. A perfect description of some of my friends when they get drunk! they literally had bruises on their legs the next morning. it was nuts. I will admit, I have drank twice since college started. But I didn't get drunk. It was one drink each time. Is it a sin to drink responsibly when underage? Did God set an age limit? All I know is that he doesn't want you to get drunk. so could someone clarify the mechanics of this confusing thing?

That's all of my questions! These are things that I have been wondering for a long time and have yet found anything in the bible that just straight up says an answer. (I haven't been reading everyday, so that might contribute to it as well) But when I do, I look for it.

P.S. yes I have prayed and asked God. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:56 pm
This reply may come a couple years late, but I wanted to provide an answer to this topic in case this may still helpful to you or to someone else reading through older conversations:

The Quarrelsome Wife of Proverbs

Someone who is quarrelsome isn't sincerely looking to benefit the other person, fix anything, nor achieve peace, just to argue and complain for the sake of arguing and starting a fight. A non-stop drip. That's not, “hey this broke today; just letting you know”, but a daily, constant drip that doesn't let up. It's her default attitude—and it's always on.

I take it you were looking at Proverbs chapters 19-21 or 25-27, which include:

• Proverbs 19:13 (NIV)

13 A foolish child is a father’s ruin,
            and a quarrelsome wife is like
            the constant dripping of a leaky roof.

• Proverbs 21:9 (NIV)

9 Better to live on a corner of the roof
            than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

• Proverbs 21:19 (NIV)

19 Better to live in a desert
            than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife.

• Proverbs 25:24 (NIV)

24 Better to live on a corner of the roof
            than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

• Proverbs 27:15-16 (NIV)

15 A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping
            of a leaky roof in a rainstorm;
        16 restraining her is like restraining the wind
            or grasping oil with the hand.

And since this one even talks about restraining her, I would also add that the quarrelsome wife may not just be looking to verbally fight, but even physically throw punches at people who anger her or annoy her. I've known of female relatives who are like this and girls in school like this. They speak in complaints or constantly speak badly of others, it starts a fight, and it's a constant argument, then their anger will escalate and it's hard to restrain them; they'll shout at you like a dragon, and they really just want to hurt you—not be of benefit to the listener. Some women do it just to troll and get attention, then cry and play the victim (not acknowledging that they said something malicious in the first place that started it or the way they reacted/responded fueled the malicious fire); others just want to hurt you with their words. Neither of the two are being edifying. The quarrelsome wife is not there to do good to her husband nor to anyone else within earshot by what she says; she's just looking for a fight.

Measure yourself against the advice in Ephesians 4 on word usage and you'll avoid being this quarrelsome wife mentioned in Proverbs:

• Ephesians 4:29-32 (NIV)

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Underage Drinking

God didn't set an age limit for drinking alcohol, but we are to obey the authorities / laws of our country (because God put them their for our protection), and obey them as long as their laws do not have us participating or supporting wickedness/commandment-breaking, thus do not prevent us from living a holy life—in thought, word, or action.

• Romans 13:1-5 (NIV)

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

There are penalties for under-age drinking; it is punishable by law. So don't do it—not just to avoid punishment, but to be a representative on earth of someone who submits to godly authority, as God would have us do.

But when the countries' laws violate a Command of God:

• Acts 5:29 (NIV)

29 Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!

For example, the participation in idolatry, worship of other gods, submitting to false notions of God, being made mandatory by a nation's government/authority; the Commands of God prohibit this, so you decide to disobey the government's law, even if that means your death (e.g. Daniel being thrown to the lions for continuing to worship YHWH and for refusing to worship the king i.e. [Daniel 6]; likewise, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego who refused to bow down to the image of gold that Nebuchadnezzar had set up; they would rather be thrown into a burning furnace than violate God's Commands and submit to the king's idolatrous ideas i.e. [Daniel 3]).

Applying all of the above information to the various worldly laws of underage drinking then, no matter the country you're in, obey that age limit; the age limit is there to protect under-aged people, the development of their brains, from causing more alcohol-related deaths on the road, and from being taken advantage of by other people. And as individuals who are suppose to represent obedient submission to authority, for us to break the laws of the country we're currently in—when the laws are not ungodly, but good / in accord with His Commands and perspective—is a poor example of what God calls us to be.

The only exception I could see for breaking this worldly law in a certain country is if an under-aged person is participating in the Lord's Supper and there is wine in the cup. I don't think a sip will harm them. But more than the wine, if the person is not cognizant of what they are doing and what it represents, and/or drinks in an unworthy manner (in gluttony, greed, drunkenness, etc), forget the wine causing you harm no matter your age, Christ Himself might kill you:

• 1 Corinthians 11:20-22, 27-34 (NIV)

20 So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

[…]

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

33 So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. 34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

And when I come I will give further directions.

To close, a verse that touches upon and summarizes the answer to both questions:

• Titus 3:1-2 (NIV)

3 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.

May peace be with you and may He give you a spirit of gentleness and humble obedience to God (and to godly authority), in Jesus' Name. ♡

cristobela
Vice Captain

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces