Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 am
User ImageSo Hjortur had a problem.

Actually, he had three problems. Only two of them, however, were recent. Only two of them had yet to be addressed in any reasonable manner.

It had come as a pleasant surprise to be called by his goddess to meet once more on the shores of Tuatha'ri Lake after what seemed to be a relatively short time. There had been little hesitation in his going, even if it had required some quick-thinking on his part to explain his absence to his parents and Pippin. All had seemed well.

The little bundles she introduced to him... Those had been a slightly larger shock. Little naiads, twins, a boy and a girl, sharing their traits but exclusively of his physique. They were past their infancy, so it seemed a reasonable time to introduce them. Even though they were creatures of water, they could have a meaningful life in the land of the Gods.

Gods... That was right... His children were of divine blood and right, even if only in part.

Why he had agreed to periodically care for them was no mystery; they belonged in the water, among their kind, with him, if for only broken periods of time. As to how he was going to care for the tots while they visited... Well... He hadn't really figured out that part yet. It was one thing to marginally adapt his lifestyle to help care for an adopted, grown child who had raised herself. It was something entirely different when they were of his blood, helpless, and with a potentially controversial mother. He knew that things would have to change, that he needed to change.

But he did not welcome this sort of change. To have to fully commit yourself, to settle down... Quite frankly it was terrifying.

He was in denial.

Somehow the pair were subsisting well enough with what he could manage to produce for their short visits, and this had him thinking that this life was something he could pull off. But of course such things never last.

It was this day on a visit with Pippin that a pair of little ones decided to follow not entirely close behind their papa, unbeknownst to him. They made it to the palace before loosing sight of him.

Seiana_ZI

Amasis
In case you would like to join with Calliope at some point

Wolfs Heart
In case you would like to join with Pippin at some point

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:36 am
User ImageAeroniel always had a problem.

After all, if it wasn't one thing, it was another. Last week it was Turin thinking about -- and yesterday it was Tariel and Aeroniel's continued avoidance of doing much more than attend court with her, and today it was the fact that it felt like her tail had been lit aflame -- oh, why did she have to get tail cramps, they were so painful --

Of course, her problems were not exactly the same kind of problems as Hjortur's. His problems were of a special sort that involved attracting children to him like kelp on the shallows.

Children.

Blech.

Aeroniel, who had little to no interest in children of any sort, was swimming through the palace today, casually avoiding any place she thought Tariel might have been located -- again. Because it was awkward even seeing her, frankly, and in a lot of ways Aeroniel just didn't want to deal with the dense liquids floating between herself and Tariel. It was clear Tariel didn't want to either, from her continued avoidance, but it wasn't like Tariel would ever initiate speaking to her on her own. That would be Aeroniel's job, of that much Aeroniel was certain --

Being distracted in her thoughts meant that she was looking down and probably not fully paying attention as she swam through the palace, but she darted around well-enough, able to manage where she was going with the ambient thoughtnoise she was hearing from others.

And it was -- noise, that was. As if it would help, Aeroniel rubbed her earfins a bit.

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Codebreaking Conversationalist

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 am
User Image
Lost...

The little naiad boy was aware of that much as he looked around the towering columns, his fathers figure nowhere to be seen. Looking back, he swam around his sister and cajoled her to follow to... wherever it was they were going.

He didn't know where, exactly.

They turned a corner, somehow not catching too much attention despite their being clearly too small to be left alone. There was a big lady in front of them, swimming.

He hadn't seen this lady before.

She wasn't like their mom, no big wings or feet on her. Like papa she was, but not like papa. She looked different.

Maybe they should hide from the stranger? But she didn't look mean. More like she was in a bad mood, like when they accidentally broke something of their mothers. Maybe they should cheer her up?

Let's cheer up lady!

Giggling, Daedalus left his sisters side to swim a bit closer to Aeroniel, trying (not too) subtly to get her attention before smiling brightly. He'd hold this smile until she returned the favor before beaming and returning to Calliope.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 am
Didn't anyone know how to shut their brains up for just five minutes? She could feel the migraine starting to come on, and it hurt.

For a moment, she stopped swimming, floating in place and rubbing at her temples. When that had little effect on much of anything, she sighed deeply and rubbed at her tail instead. At least that was still capable of doing something despite the developing headaches.

A stray thought passed her mind about being lost, and Aeroniel looked around, attempting to find the young voice. It wasn't Chromis, right? If it was Chromis she was getting up and swimming in the opposite direction faster than a piranha on meat. There was no way she was dealing with him today --

Was that kid waving at her? And grinning?

Ugh.

She gave it a cheesy smile, hoping it would just go away. And it did... but it wasn't swimming back to mother or father. Really? Leaving two little babies on their own to ruin her day?

Wait a damn -

That kid looked like Hjortur.

She could see it in his markings, the purple and yellow on his face and body. His... she was guessing his sister, anyway, had a lot of the same trappings. There were differences, of course, but considering babies required two, that was of little surprise. Who was the other to cause such a tail?

Never mind that, where was Hjortur?!

Aeroniel groaned to herself, making her way over to the little ones and bringing herself down to their level.

Ugh. Look at their little eyes -

"Kids, who are your parents... and where are they?"

They were tiny. They probably couldn't really speak yet. Ugh.

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:41 am
Daedalus was ecstatic that he could get the other naiad to smile, a clear indicator that he had cheered her up. Victory for the day!

When she came over, his face made no wafer as his eyes followed her movement. If she hadn't come lower, he would have simply swam higher; one of the perks of being able to move around everywhere whenever you wanted (as long as your weren't tired, anyways). Nothing was ever out of reach.

Parents...? A pause. That was mama and papa, right? Mama with her magnificently beautiful wings and her gentle touch; papa with his fun music and adventures...

Not that any of this was necessarily a coherent thought. Mostly images of an idea.

Instead he gave a small giggle and looked around before shrugging lightly. He didn't know where papa was.

Lost

Hjortur had by then finished his visit and was swimming towards the exit when he heard a voice. A voice very much like Aeroniel. A voice he didn't particularly care to hear in his intermittent visits.

A voice asking about lost parents.

They couldn't, could they...?

s**t.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:14 am
While she probably should have known better than to ask a kid anything, seeing his near nonresponse to her question made her groan. Why did kids have to know so little about everything?

There were a few things she gathered, music playing being of them, which all but confirmed her suspicions considering the kids already looked so much like Hjortur. Another thing she found interesting was big blue wings. Was their mother a land pae? It wasn't exactly unheard of to do such a thing, but...

Certainly odd.

No matter. Hjortur's business wasn't really hers. She just wanted to get these damn kids back to someone who would be able to care for them better and mostly get them to someone so they could not be her problem anymore, and since Hjortur was a nomad with nowhere to be found -- and having already lost the damn kids in the first place...

Aeroniel unceremoniously grabbed both kids and tucked them under her arms like they were kelp bags.

"Alright, c'mon you squirming worms, we're going to see your grandparents..."

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:05 am
Dae only tried to swim away from Aeroniel for a few centimeters before internally shrugging and going with the flow. The big lady was taking him somewhere; they were going on an adventure! Off to see this thing called grandparents!

Oh boy, was he happy that they'd decided to follow papa.

His little tail wiggled in anticipation as they left.

No. No. Nonono! Those were definitely two of his little problems that had decided to follow him here; hadn't he told Fiskie to keep them entertained?! Looking around, he considered trying to swim away before realizing the very real chance that his parents were going to see them before he was ready to tell them.

Assuming he would ever be ready. Probably not.

If his dad knew that he was a grandfather... Oh boy... No, that conversation did not need to happen anytime soon.

Having spent his time in his thoughts, he lost the prospect of getting away. Soon enough, he was there before the three of them, a hesitant smile plastered to his face. A few moments passed slowly before he raised a hand to wave.

Seeing his daddy, the tot squealed lightly and returned the wave with one of his own, a huge smile plastered to his face.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am
Squirming worms was an apt title for these kids. Daedalus' wiggling and squealing was probably the worst of it, though...

Damn kids.

And there was their irresponsible father. How could he lose track of these things anyway? The boy was almost too excitable. At the hesitant wave, Aeroniel nearly sneered, but that probably wasn't really an atypical mannerism for her anyway. Still, it was obvious that she was clearly not in the best of moods.

Did she even have a good mood meter?

"These things yours?" asked Aeroniel, vaguely lifting them towards Hjortur and not really expecting an answer. "Losing track in the castle? Tsk, Hjortur. Not very responsible."

That might have been her version of the Mom Voice. Maybe.

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:50 pm
Hjortur laughed lightly, giving a shrug and a slight sigh. "Yes... They belong to me..." he didn't move any closer at his words, clearly awkward at this situation. Of all the naiad to find out about them, of all naiad in the palace, that she had to be the one...?

The spirits were laughing at him.

Wait. If she knew. What fake smile he had faded. "I know what this looks like, but you cannot tell my parents." He came a bit closer. "They were not even supposed to come here, not until they were maybe a bit..." older? maybe adults? No matter. "You understand what my father will do if he hears of them." In any case, it would not be a pleasant situation.

Bad things would happen.

"They only visit on the weekends; else they are with their mother" elsewhere.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:59 am
Hjortur was trying to hide these from his parents? That wouldn't go over well.

"Do you really think he'll react better if you do not tell him of his grandchildren until they're too old to be doted upon?" Aeroniel lifted a brow, clearly not convinced that his choice was particularly wise, or even a good one for that matter, considering he couldn't even keep track of the damn things. "And what of Vera? I'm sure she would love to meet her grandchildren. She's a dear." By that she meant endearing but sometimes a little... dense. She probably would diffuse Snorri's reaction at least a bit.

It was no wonder he only had the children some of the time. If he was losing them during the time he did have them, she certainly wouldn't trust him with the kids full time.

She wasn't going to comment on that, though.

"How did they even get here?" She wiggled Daedalus in the water a bit like a gavel, almost accusingly. "Who was watching them at home if not you?"

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 am
As much as he hated to admit it, Aeroniel had a good point: his father's reaction was unlikely to change no matter what age the kids were introduced to him, and his mother would probably be quite hurt if she wasn't told. He hated upsetting her, especially with how she always stuck up for him.

His father certainly meant well with his words too...

"I suppose they followed me?" He swam a bit closer to Aeroniel, stopping only to motion with his hands that she could let them down. "He is called Daedalus," he motioned to the boy, "And she Calliope." For all the hesitation and discomfort in his voice, there was also a warmth not unlike how his mother spoke of him to the other handmaidens.

His eyes followed the kids as they came closer before silently looking to her.

'Thank you for returning them. I know I haven't the place to speak and that I am certainly troubling you, so if this is a complete bother, just say so and I will leave you to your business. Otherwise... Might I practice what I need to say to them?'

He wasn't sure if she would be offended by his choosing to ask his request through thought rather than aloud, but hoped that his earnestness would be apparent.

For how often he messed up, he really was attempting to learn from it and grow; he just quite wasn't sure how.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am
Of course she had a good point. Aeroniel was brilliant.

Or, at least, she'd keep telling herself that.

While she eyed Hjortur warily as he motioned for the children to be set down, Aeroniel knew she couldn't just keep trying to keep them away from their father (especially with how happy Daedalus had seemed to see the naiad). With some level of trepidation at not just giving the kids to their grandparents instead, she let them go, finally letting them return to their father if they wished. He certainly seemed affectionate enough about them, so at least his "heart was in the right place," or whatever other pae said about that.

At the thoughts that were clearly directed straight at her, she quirked a brow, a bit in disbelief that he was suggesting that he practice on her. What was she, some kind of sounding board?!

It was at that moment she remembered she used to be Tariel's counsel.

Not anymore. The bitter thought passed her mind and her expression turned dark, for a moment, though with the way her eyes averted, it was clearly not directed at Hjortur. She made a deep sigh, holding back any upset, before turning back to Hjortur again.

"Fine."

That was probably the friendliest response he was going to get from her.

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:47 am
As he was let go, Daedalus wiggled off towards his dad in a happy, adorable toddler sort-of-way.

Oh s**t... s**t, s**t, s**t... Hjortur could tell instantly that this was a conversation that Aeroniel probably did not want to have with him. He wasn't sure if her brooding was directed towards him or elsewhere, a contemplation he was rarely afforded with her, but it was enough to leave him wary about pushing any further. In fact, he was about to apologize for even asking when she gave her answer.

Fine.

Fine...? He blinked, genuinely surprised that she was still willing to put up with him after all this. Frankly, he was surprised daily about how just about everynaiad still seemed willing to put up with him.

At times, it was far more painful than their scorn would have been.

He was a disgrace and a failure: that he knew. Yet everynaiad was still so kind to him... It was strange and wonderful.

Glancing to the pair of toddlers beside him, he took a deep breath before pausing, biting his lip, and continuing.

Here goes...

"I... met their mother some summers ago, when I was lost for a long while." she'd probably recollect in part the conversation they'd had regarding the gauntlet he'd found. "I thought that she was something magnificent: graceful, exciting, and beautiful. She was unlike anypae I had ever seen, had the most delicate of wings." he motioned lightly with his arms as if trying to convey just how they appeared. "We had spoken of meeting again, but I thought it was just kind words spoken as we parted. Never did I expect to see her again."

"But that I did: this Valentine's Day past."

He smiled warmly, and continued.

"Thalia, is her name. She is one of Venus' daughters." A pause. "I always compared her beauty to a goddess', but then I came to learn that my imagination was reality. It was a wonderfully strange thing, really."

He laughed lightly before sighing and glancing down. "I am surely boring you and wasting your time, please pardon the inconvenience."

"Time passed before we met again, this time intentional. It was soon after I found Pippin," found was certainly the proper word to describe that situation, "Events happened," he needn't say more, "And some seasons later she called me to meet her once more." he glanced away, at the twins. "To meet them for the first time."

He laughed.

"I was certainly shocked! The resemblance is striking, and they had the most perfect of naiad forms." A pause. "She really was quite attached to the two of them. They reside in Dolander with their mother at most times, only coming to visit me ever so often."

He sighed, his eyes looking down, away, a certain look of despair on them.

"Aeroniel... I..."

His voice cracked. He paused.

Why me? I cannot be a father; I am incapable of such a thing.

Shaking his head, he pushed the worries away and smiled back at her. It may have appeared a bit more rigid than his usually were, but could potentially pass as true. "Thank you for letting me speak my silly circumstances to you. If nothing else, I feel a bit better having told somenaiad of them."

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm
Aeroniel wasn't dumb and she certainly caught the surprise.

She lived on in infamy for her lack of affection for other naiad, it seemed. Perhaps that was the way it should be. Aeroniel had never particularly been fond of dealing with pae, and knowing some of their terrible thoughts before they arrived had always made it worse. Aeroniel could render judgement before they opened their mouths.

Anyway.

Hjortur was preparing himself and she needed to at least act like she was listening instead of continuing to brood. If she was going to say it was fine, she needed to act it, too. Integrity and all that nonsense...

It was easy to gather that Hjortur's Mystery Lover--or Thalia, apparently--was some kind of land pae. Fine. The kids didn't look it particularly, which may have been a lucky thing for them--wait, what?

Thalia was... a goddess from those Venusian parties she always heard equal parts whining and lauding about? That was... Something that was actually unexpected. There was a look of surprise on her face, even as Hjortur continued, and it seemed genuine enough. After all, a land pae was one not unexpected thing. Someone who postured as a goddess was a little different.

When he went into babies being made and their existence, though she did note to herself to figure out Dolandor was, Aeroniel's surprise faded back into a more typical neutral expression. She probably wasn't acting the part of Vera's affection very well, but Snorri's serious face? That was certainly possible.

When he was done, clear by him sidetracking and addressing her by name, Aeroniel quirked a brow. "Why you? I can't possibly answer that. Random chance, probably. But." She shrugged. "You're trying. You'll manage."

Was that some weird attempt at encouragement?

"But yeah, sure. Don't mention it."

Really, she didn't want everypae poking at her for stupid things.

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 am
The look on Aeroniel's face hadn't gone unnoticed as Hjortur's monologue continued on, hardly more than a hesitation to show for it. He knew better than to mention it aloud or to let it distract his thoughts.

When she again spoke, words kind in their intent, he was near taken aback by her words of encouragement.

Almost.

Honestly, she had never come across to him as somenaiad who oughtright disliked being around others. It had always seemed a forced circumstance to him, one who could and would never understand what it was like to have the thoughts of others forever and always invading the privacy of one's mind. Anynaiad would have ended up this way with such a power. And after all this, she still continued forward into the world of others rather than secluding herself away.

In this sense, Hjortur considered her to be one of the strongest-willed and bravest pae'il he knew. Not that he'd even think such a thing anywhere near her. With her disposition, he wasn't sure how she'd take such thoughts.

So rather than thinking these nice, aforementioned little ideas, he glanced down, catching the bright grin of little ones beside him. The rigidities of his smile softened and he looked back to Aeroniel, bowing lightly. "Thank you."

Looking again to his children, he bent forward and spoke softly. "Would you like to meet your grandparents; my mother and father?"

Daedalus, after a moment, grinned and nodded before looking to his sister for her positive reaction.

"Make sure you thank Miss Aeroniel (he wasn't so brash as to forget her honorific twice in a conversation) before we part," he advised as he pushed the child forward.

Daedalus faltered for but a moment as he was pushed closer to the nice lady, glancing up at Hjortur before looking forward. To this he grinned, just about the only way he understood to thank one at this point.

He was certainly happy to have swam away from Fiskie and met her.

Seiana_ZI

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces