Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:57 pm
It had been disappointing that Meigth hadn't managed to catch Fianth in her flight--but he'd done so well! Dehka had impatiently fidgeted and waited until he though he'd given both his foster father and his dragon enough time to recover before he'd scurried back towards their weyr. He didn't know where Kahbrohm was--he'd lost him in the resulting chaos of the Queen flight, and he'd been too anxious to stick around in case someone tried to get to know him a little better.

Knowing his foster brother though, he'd already managed to make it back.

Dehka knocked on the door, already feeling excitement bloom in his chest. Two golds! Two clutches! And both Rhianth and Fianth had records for having over twenty eggs each! Every boy and girl was undoubtedly feeling the same sort of delight at the prospect of meeting their lifemate... and it was so hard not to hope.

He knew N'ori had been very lucky to Impress the first time he Impressed on the sands... and this would be the first time that he and Kahbrom could Stand. His foster brother would likely Impress, he thought suddenly, his lifted hand slowly lowering. There was never any question about that. But Dehka... he wasn't confident or strong like Kah was. He had many Turns ahead of him--too many to be worried about not Impressing now...

....but it was the thought of being left behind in the dust that made his stomach churn now. Once Kahbrohm found his dragon, he'd never look back. And while, maybe that didn't have to be a bad thing, he still didn't want to be nothing more than an irritation to his brother. He admired Kah, despite his flaws. In most ways, he was the ideal son.

It just made Dehka all the more determined to struggle to keep up.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm
My wings do ache, but it was quite a flight! Krahsujunth was magnificent!

While N'ori had been there for the whole thing, in a sense, Meigth was still regaling his rider with the story over again. There was something about hearing it all told again that was nice for returning one to the here and now, and not the business that most of the Weyr would be for the rest of the afternoon. That could have been how you spent your afternoon. the bronze reminded, and N'ori chuckled, thumping an open palm against his lifemate's side - away from the scarring.

"It could have!" he agreed, "I'm sure I would have enjoyed it if it had been, but it certainly isn't because you didn't fly magnificently!" Meigth did not need the reassurance, but he still appreciated it for what it was.

No, with Fianth back on her ledge, all N'ori was left with was a headache from deciding to return to his weyr, rather than find company for a night. There were people more important for different things, as far as he was concerned.

The knock at the door had Meigth's head turning to look at it, eyes whirling with interest. Dehka. It's too gentle for Kahbrohm and nobody else knocks that way he deduced easily. Of course the boys would want to come and check in. N'ori crossed the length of his weyr quickly, opening the door to see that his lifemate had been correct, it was the more sensitive of his sons.

With no prompting, the tall man pulled Dehka into his side with one arm, offering a half hug. "Come to check in on me, my boy?" he asked it, but it seemed he had already figured that much out.

On us. Meigth corrected, sending the brown haired boy a wave of reassuring confidence. He seemed worried. At least to his dragon mind.

Tsunake
Kahbrohm will show up...shortly...

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:33 pm
As soon as the door was opened, Dehka's anxious worries immediately fell away as he was tugged into the broad side of his father. He was too old to go seeking hugs anymore (or so he'd been informed), but if N'ori initiated them, that meant it had to be okay. He hugged his father fiercely around the middle, beaming at both him and the bronze before releasing him. "Yes!" On both of them, of course. The wave of confidence was enough to have his shoulders ease a little, already feeling reassured. There was nowhere more safe than here, with the two people--well, person and dragon--who cared about him most.

"You were amazing, Meigth! You kept at the front of the pack like you weren't even trying!" But he knew the bronze had given it his all, and what a flight it had been! Seeing how pleased the scarred dragon was... well, it easily washed away the rest of Dehka's disappointment. As much as he would have loved to see Meigth's hatchlings, there were plenty Turns ahead of them.

He hoped.

Dehka shoved away the instinctual unease that always surfaced whenever he thought about Thread, refusing to dwell on negatives right this instant. "Krahsujunth was right up there, too! He didn't slash at you, did he Meigth?" Okay, maybe there'd be some worries. He'd seen the big blue harrying both browns and bronzes alike! And while he would never hold it against Krah if he had hurt Meigth during flightlust.... well, he knew how sensitive and painful the scoring still was, even after all this time.

"Two clutches! I wonder how many eggs they'll lay! And I'm sure the searchriders will be out scoping for more candidates as soon as--" Well. As soon as the Weyr recovered from the uh, celebrating.

demon_pachabel
/cue Jaws music

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm
"Well I'm happy to inform you we're both feeling fine," N'ori said, clapping his son on the back with a grin. Dehka was a good boy, and he occasionally wondered how much of that was because he'd done at least a somewhat good job of raising his sons or if he took after his mother. Perhaps a little bit of both.

The boy's praise had Meigth perking up, enjoying the enthusiasm that had all but replaced the tension that had been radiating off of him moments previously. He caught me once, but it won't leave a mark, he turned his head down towards the scratches along his chest where Fianth's beloved had swiped at him. They didn't look severe, or even like they'd bled heavily. It was obvious that N'ori had cleaned them up.

"How many eggs do you think there will be, Dehka?" N'ori asked, ruffling his hair. "It's been over a turn since we've had a clutch on our sands, so this will at least be a fairly good chance for you and your brother!" Not that the unexpected clutch on the sands had been a bad one, but it had been a clutch divided between Weyrs and as such, it had been far more candidates than those they would see from Western for those braving the opportunity to have a dragon and potentially have to start their lives over in a new place.

Enough that each boy should get one. Though then they won't be here with us anymore. Meigth offered, though he did sound a touch sad over the idea of the boys growing up so fast. They'd barely had any time with them!

Though it would soon be 'them' again, based on the amount of noise in the hallways - and it was drawing closer by the second.

N'ori would just....

step back from the door a bit, just to be safe.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 am
N'ori's grins were always infectious, and Dehka offered one back in turn before returning his attention to Meigth. "Good! I'm glad he didn't manage to bite you.... I almost thought he might have caught Fianth!" But there'd never been records of a blue catching a gold, even if Krah had flown fast and hard. He'd been close... but ultimately, she'd settled for a bronze that he didn't know. Would that impact the size of the clutch, he wondered?

The question made his green eyes light up, for he'd naturally been turning the thoughts over in his brain before. "I... I want to say at least twenty! But I'm not sure if having another gold on the sands at the same time will impact that." Maybe not at all! The mention of it being a good chance for both him and Kah made him nod, but he could feel that uneasiness threatening to crawl up his throat once more. "Even if my dragon isn't out there, I'm going to do my best." He said softly, glancing up at his father. His absolute best. Both his family--and the dragons--deserved not one bit less.

Speaking of his family...

Dehka's shoulders came up to his ears instinctively at the noise from the hall, knowing exactly who and what was responsible. Well, at least he had time to prepare himself!

....And also slide away from the door, less he get hit with it when it undoubtedly exploded open.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 am
"Each? That sounds like quite a few! That their mothers are sisters will likely go a long way in how the clutches manage, though. It won't be the first time the sands had to be shared. Fianth shared them with Serenath," though he realized that was when he only had a very young Kahbrohm, "and Serenath shared them with Aloheth the clutch before the last, remember?"

Not that Aloheth had stuck around after that.

WHAM

Dehka had barely stepped away from the door when it swung open with force. The kind that after years, both N'ori and he were used to from Kahbrohm. "CRACKDUST! All of it! Meigth should ha-" the young man hadn't even gotten four steps into the room, shoving his brother out of the way to start talking to N'ori when the bronzerider placed a heavy hand on his shoulder to silence him.

"Kahbrohm," N'ori's voice dropped just slightly. No matter what the young man thought about the flight's end, it wasn't his place to say the words that were going to come out of his mouth.

On the ledge, Meigth rumbled, greeting the boy with his own mental wave of calm - though it was a very different brand than what he had offered Dehka. There will be others. Despite the bronze's calm, Kahbrohm didn't visibly relax, his brow setting into a dark leer as he frowned.

Shifting, Meigth held up a wing, as if beckoning the boys over for some time with their dragon!dad. They were rather far away, after all.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:48 pm
"T-The records indicate as much!" But Dehka quickly fell silent when N'ori revealed that the sands had been shared before, coloring when he realized that he had, in fact, forgotten. Before he could say anything else, the door slammed open with enough force to make him jump, inhaling instinctively. He was shoved hard enough that he stumbled--and a huge hand from his father was immediately there to steady him, as it had countless of times before.

He didn't know what else to say, eyeing Kahbrohm uncertainly. He was disappointed that Meigth didn't win too, but... The bronze shifted, and Dehka responded to the small gesture by immediately approaching. The smell of dragon filled his nose, familiar and comforting, and he leaned against the bronze hide gratefully. Meigth had always been a second father for him--and for Kah too, he was certain. Sure, he was a dragon, and his way of thinking could differ greatly from a human's... but that had never mattered.

Meigth always made him feel just as safe as N'ori did. "Um. But at least we know there will be two clutches on the sands..." He tried to offer to his brother. A silver-lining, of sorts.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:02 pm
As he caught and righted Dehka - a gesture he hadn't even thought about, in the moment - N'ori offered him a firm pat on the back. This rough behavior from Kahbrohm was something he'd expected the boy to grow out of turns ago. Internally, he frowned, but knew better than to try and step in to dissolve it - it would only make his attitude worse.

While Dehka responded immediately to Meigth's silent request, Kahbrohm eyed his brother with judgement. It was a look he'd spent a great deal of his life turning onto the other boy. It took a second nudge from the bronze to summon him over, and then he did join the dragon, he stood pointedly on his other side. Meigth tucked a wing around both of them, which looked at least amusing to N'ori.

Dehka's observation earned another one of those dark, judging looks from his brother, who seemed to frown even more about it.

How do you feel about your chances? he asked, posing the question to both of them.

Kahbrohm scowled. "Well at least one of us should have a good shot at it!" and by the way he emphasized the word, he clearly meant himself. Meigth thrummed. Is that so? He peered down at Dehka as he said this, almost seeming amused.

What kind of dragon do you think your brother would impress? Not color, kind. it was a pointedly private inquiry, his mind wrapping gently around the softer boy's. He knew he'd get an honest answer - and a kinder one than perhaps Kahbrohm deserved.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:58 pm
Dehka did his best to try and ignore that heavy stare that fell across his back... but even then, he was painfully aware of Kahbrohm going out of his way to avoid him. His fingers stroked at Meigth's hide, gratefully hiding under the shadow of that curled wing. When he was very young, he'd often sleep against Meigth's side just like this, blanketed by a protective wing.

Before he could answer, Kahbrohm about snapped a response, and the shorter boy frowned quietly at nothing. It was true. But maybe there'd be dragons who wouldn't be as receptive to his brother's bold, aggressive nature... Still. The chances seemed good that Kahbrom would find success on the sands.

He lifted his head, staring up at the dragon's many faceted eyes, before he let his gaze drift off in thought. He leaned more against the bronze, gathering his thoughts before he replied. What kind of dragon... I think... a confident dragon would pair really well with him. But maybe one that had a little more patience and reserve. Someone that could help him not be so aggressive.... I think they could be a pair that could really help lead the Weyr.

Kahbrohm... he wasn't a bad person. He just had a temper--and he could be cruel. But--with the right partner, that could change. Dehka truly did believe that.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:17 pm
Of course, my boy. I think that would suit him well.

Yes, that was the sort of answer he had expected from Dehka - the boy had a good heart. Perhaps soft, but a strong, supportive dragon would have suited him just fine. But Meigth knew more than anybody that there were hidden qualities in both of them that would be so desired, so wanted, so needed that even he couldn't see.

No, the deepness of his own needs and desires could only reach and curl into his own lifemate. If asked, he'd still not know what to tell anybody.

However, Kahbrohm's impatience seemed to seep into the dragon, who soon turned to look at him as well, perhaps posting a similar question silently. The young man's face seemed to crinkle in irritated thought. Then, amusement thrummed through the dragon, who pulled both wings in so suddenly that Kahbrohm was nearly knocked over, forced into a 'hug' by Meigth. You'll both be fine! Even if not now, soon. I cannot see either of you waiting long!

He offered Kahbrohm a nudge of his snout against the forehead, then the same to Dehka.

"Well I'm not going to be left waiting at all!" Kahbrohm announced, struggling to wiggle the top part of his body out from under Meigth's wing and frowning. "Dehka might have to wait until he's grown out of crying - " which, to himself, he thought may take another ten turns, at this point, "But me? I'm prime material!"

You are both prime material. Meigth corrected.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:52 pm
When Meigth turned to address his brother, Dehka lapsed back into his own thoughts. What kind of dragon would suit him, he wondered? Everyone said the dragons always knew best... and he believed that. As far as color went, the boy couldn't have cared less. A nice, plucky green might suit him well, he thought. The fastest fliers in the Weyr... and invaluable when it came to the faster maneuvers when fighting Thread! Flying high above the whole world....

The boy gave a little squawk of surprise as he was 'hugged' against Meigth's side, immediately snapped out of his daydream. Grinning sheepishly, he leaned into the bronze once more, gladly accepting the gentle nudge. Of course, Kahbrohm's words made him give a start.

"T-That's not--!" He started to protest. "A lot of people cry when they Impress!" What did that have to do with anything?! Except... Kahbrohm might have been right...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:49 pm
"And when anything even slightly emotional happens," Kahbrohm pointed out assertively - and it didn't seem like a teasing reminder. He was absolutely serious about the fact that Dehka just cried so much.

He finally wiggled out of Meigth's wing, pointedly stepping around the dragon's broad chest with his hands on his hips as he leaned in to his brother's face - "I'm not gonna cry when I impress. But maybe someone will want a crybaby. Someday." But sincerely, he wanted to think if that happened, he'd get to go first. If Dehka impressed first and he had to wait?

Kahbrohm wouldn't have been able to stand it.

N'ori seemed to sense the tension, looking at the bronze who lifted his wing to give the smaller of the boys a little bit more breathing room. Do you want to tell them? Meigth asked and his rider suddenly laughed - bright and clear, hands on his hips.

"Boys, boys. I cried when I impressed. There's no shame in crying - or not crying. You'll understand when yours comes for you."

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm
His mouth opened and then shut again, biting his lower lip even as shame burned hot in his chest and threatened to snake up his throat. Dehka didn't quite flinch back when Kah invaded his space, ducking his chin while his eyes darted from his brother's face and to the floor. "I don't--mean to--" He managed to stutter out. He tried so hard not to! Even now, he could feel the threatening burn, desperately suppressing it for all he was worth.

And then his father stepped in, like he always did. Dehka's eyes snapped up at once, his eyes widening with surprise. N'ori had cried? That eased the lump in his throat at once, a wobbly sort of smile tugging at his lips.

"Someday." He murmured, mirroring Kah. Someday, a dragon would want him... and it would love him for who he was. And then, together, they could help to save people. Just like how N'ori and Meigth did. "Tell us again, when Meigth found you?" It was a story they'd heard hundreds of thousands of times, but Dehka never grew tired of it.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:44 pm
Their father's interjection made Kah straighten up, turning to look at their father and trying to not look as though he was offended that N'ori was siding with Dehka again. It wasn't to the point that one would call it favoritism, but Kahbrohm certainly would call it coddling. He'd never tell N'ori that, though.

"You want to hear that old story?" Kahbrohm said, the frown back on his face. There was a long pause from the young man as he watched N'ori move to sit in one of the three chairs that had barely moved position in his weyr. Clearly, he'd been very used to it being a space for the three of them and it was furnished accordingly, even if the boys spent a lot of time in the candidate barracks now.

N'ori patted both of the other chairs and Kahbrohm, pretending he was only indulging the man, went and took up his preferred seat.

"It had been a very eventful hatching so far - and I'd only been so close to a dragon before when I'd been ushered onto the blue that I was searched by," though both boys would know that it hadn't happened quite like that. While it had been a story for Dehka initially, it had been one that had not been kept for Kahbrohm for long. "One of the boys had been chewed up real good, and the culprit was still circling the sands, so moving the boy wouldn't be so easy without attracting attention - do you remember why?"

"Because if you run from a dragon you attract it's attention," Kahbrohm answered as if it was the most obvious answer in the world.

N'ori clapped the boy on the shoulder.

"So I have him with an arm over my shoulders and I'm wondering if I can get him off of the sands before this hatchling gets to me," he leaned forward as he spoke, and while Kahbrohm was pretending he wasn't interested, he'd still leaned in to catch their father's words with the same interested Dehka would without a doubt show. "And I thought this dragon had found theirs with the girls and perhaps had lost all of their interest in us boys. So I start walking this boy off of the sands, and we're not even five feet from the rest of the boys when it spots us."

Meigth shifted his weight and rumbled.

"My options are run, throw this boy down and hope this dragonet won't go for me...or I can just body it," which really, were all bad options. "So she's running at me - lovely green, that she is - and I've accepted my fate, making sure this boy is on the side away from her. And before she can even jump, one of the unhatched eggs bursts open and the baby inside comes running at me! I was certain I was going to die!"

Kahbrohm already knew how this would end, but it was still exciting.

"This bronze baby knocks his green sister clean on her side! No hesitation! Then, he turns to me and says-"

I AM HERE!

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Dehka didn't respond to his brother, and for once, he didn't appear particularly ashamed of himself for asking. Kahbrohm might pretend like it was boring, but he knew that he liked hearing about N'ori's Impression just as much as he did! Dehka didn't bother to hide his eagerness, taking the seat on the opposite side of his father before he settled in to listen.

Searched by... His mind wandered briefly, knowing that hadn't been the case. No, his mother had called in a favor, and had managed to get N'ori out of the slums of Nabol since she was too old to pretend to be searched... but more than that, he thought privately to himself, it was because she had cared for him, and had chosen to put his life above her own. Later, she would do the same for Dehka.

He jolted back to attention when N'ori asked his brother a question, and Dehka found himself nodding solemnly at the answer. Dragons were predators, after all, and though an Impressed one would never harm a human... well, hatchlings could be easily excited. Even a dragonet trying to play could do serious damage with their claws.

Eagerly now, the boy found himself leaning forward when N'ori continued on with his tale. Though he had heard this story thousands of times by now, it didn't make it any less exciting with each retelling. As the green dragonet charged towards his father and the mauled boy, Dehka caught his breath with anticipation-- and laughed aloud with delight as Meigth boomed those fateful words.

"Wow," He breathed, his eyes shining as he looked between his foster father and the dragon. "The boy was okay? And the dragon--she found Hers alright, didn't she?"

demon_pachabel

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces