Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:03 pm
There would be a lot of buzz amongst the Candidates once they had finished meeting the future dragons to come - at least, that was how Alosha felt about it. If she'd not had other duties to tend to, she would have been snooping all about the touching. But instead she had to be a responsible adult.

Oh, but she was practically bursting to know what everybody else was thinking. So when the opportunity to peddle bets on behalf of a travelling Firelizard Breeder was dropped into her lap...well...Alosha couldn't believe her luck!

And anybody within hearing distance would soon hear that she was eagerly taking bets. It was just a matter of catching her between every other (dirty) task she could have gotten herself elbow deep into - maybe the post drill bathing of her green or over dinner or breakfast would be the safest bets?

User Image User Image User ImageUser Image

Quote:

Rules:
- ICly Alosha will be taking bets for the period of a few days.
-Pach cannot and will not make specific color based bets! (Example: 'I think the Bunny Egg is a Green') I will counter any bets of that variety with things I cannot possibly know as a staff member!
---> As an addendum, I *can* make bets about a character impressing x color because I have no place in making matches and cannot know!
-Pach is hosting this as a *player* not a *staff member*. This has caused problems in the past when understood in the opposite, so I am being clear now!
-BECAUSE OF UPSET IN THE PAST, I AM NOW LIMITING PEOPLE TO 2 IC BETS TO KEEP EVERYTHING FAIR. SORRY!
-I will make the terms of the bets as clear as possible to keep from anybody calling cheatsy-doodle later! This is just for the sake of my sanity!
-Make sure you make your bet clear in OOC ('N'pc is betting that The Bunny Egg will hatch as one of the last 5 eggs' 'H'elper is betting that Candidate Blurfus will impress a Blue!'). I'll nudge you if I need it in clearer terms, okay?
-Staff can make vague bets about things they can't know from behind the scenes! Things like 'I think The Bunny Egg will be a small dragon for their color!' 'I think The Bunny Egg will impress a girl!'
- When the first egg hatches, all bets are closed!
- Because of previous complaints, I will be *randomizing* prizes from all available eggs for both IC and OOC betting. This means you don't get to pick which prize you get! Sorry!
- Because of Previous Complaints, people can only win 1 egg from both IC and OOC Betting!
- While I have no prizes right now, I am good for them once I have flitter eggs to give people for entertaining bets! Due to the generosity of some other players (kiss kiss Medi and Nyoko!) I now have a small prize pool! I will add more to it as I can!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 pm
Hurry hurry! She shouldn’t be kept waiting! Moirath was urging Veltanna to approach Phaedrath’s with her bet. It isn’t like she is just standing around doing nothing else. Veltanna grumbled as she walked up to Alosha in the dining hall.

“Hello. My dragon would like to place a bet. Is that allowed?” Why wouldn't it be allowed? Moirath pouted.

demon_pachabel

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 pm
Alosha had been contently mulling over what bets she had been trading thus far when Veltanna made her approach - and asked a question that lit a genuine curiosity inside of the woman. "How could I say no?" If a dragon wanted to bet it would have to be something exciting, right?

faesinger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:38 am
demon_pachabel

Ly'bur had been eyeing the eggs speculatively since they had been laid and people could go take a peek at them. He'd finally picked out his choice for his daughter. So when rumors started around that someone was taking bets on the eggs, naturally he heard, and wanted to make his own if they were true. Turned out they were accurate; the brown rider approached Alosha with a friendly nod when she had a moment.

"So nice of you to be taking bets. I'd like to place one myself. I bet that the Ding Dong Egg will be a gold and she will Impress to the Candidate Nalacko." Yes he would love to see that. If she finally managed to impress to one of those golds she'd attracted to herself each time, it would be something!  

magnadearel

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:14 am
Moirath bets that the third green to impress to a girl will not be the third green to impress.

Veltanna smiled at the woman while Moirath did a told you so in Veltanna’s head. “I am not sure how interesting her bet is, but it is certainly her. Moirath would like to bet, and these are her words mind you, ‘the female green of three will alas not be the third of green.’”

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:38 am
As soon as Z'haq dropped off his passengers, he started nosing around for whomever was taking bets for this clutch. Ever a gambling man, he'd had his bronze Eorwath sneak a peek at the eggs in the sands, and he'd made his choices. Now he was hunting for the bet-taker herself.

He found her at last, bathing her green dragon. "Ahoy there!" he hailed with a big friendly grin. "You must be Alosha, I hope. Heard you were taking bets on the clutch? I would like to wager, if you don't mind."

Clearing his throat (he never could tolerate the cold dry air of High Reaches), he continued. "I'd like to bet that five of the hatchlings will go to Western Candidates, and that there will be three bronzes in this clutch."

Z'haq bets that five dragons will be Impressed by Western Candidates, and that there will be three bronzes shelled.

demon_pachabel

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 pm
He'd had this bet in mind for a little while, now, ever since he'd first caught wind of them being open in the first place. It was one he'd kept somewhat under wraps, even though he didn't think it was enough to rock the boat if it got found out--it's just a bet, in good fun. That's all.

Even then, Kaiator couldn't shake the quiet thrill of nerves trailing up and down his spine as he approached the woman running the betting. He'd be more than happy to simply chalk that up to the general anxiety of an impending Hatching, especially now that he found himself on the Sands. Now that he got a decent look at Alosha, though, Kaiator wasn't sure if he was more or less nervous. He didn't recognize her--which wasn't terribly surprising, considering how big the Weyr was and how busy his Candidate duties kept him, but he'd have liked to see a familiar face, he thought.
Casris didn't seem to notice the uncertainty, seeing the still-growing Brown curled up and asleep around his neck as he was, but Usurper was in fine form as always, an even smaller Bronze spitfire perched as regally as he thought he could manage atop Kaiator's shoulder. It was the perfect vantage point, and offered a lovely window of opportunity to dive bomb someone, should he need to. Kaiator would prefer he didn't, but he wasn't completely certain Usurper was going to play all that nice.

"Are you the one running the betting pool?" he asked when he was finally close enough, reaching up to place a hand delicately on Usurper's back just in case. The little Bronze was staring daggers at Alosha, eyes whirling their customary red, and he wasn't going to take any chances. "I'd like to place a bet, myself."

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:56 pm
"That big one at the back, eh?" Alosha could picture it well enough, but took a moment to confirm it with Phaedrath - much to the green's displeasure. All of this betting business was far beyond her. "So are you saying it will be gold *and* impress Nalacko, or are those two separate bets?"

It was a simple clarification on her part to help her decide what bet she would make in turn to that. Hmmmmm....

Alosha is checking to see if this is 1 or 2 bets.

Magnadearel

------

"All bets are interesting!" Alosha said, gently picking apart the phrasing that Veltanna gave her - with a little help from Phaedrath. She wasn't a fool by any means, but it was an interesting way to phrase the thought.

"Let's see. For that one, we'll say that the third green to a girl will have been the third to hatch, hmm?"

Alosha bets the third green to impress to a girl will be the third green to hatch.

Faesinger

-------

Phaedrath offered the Western man a judging look as he approached. "I may be, I may not," Alosha answered, glancing away from where she was brushing down her dragon's hide to acknowledge the near-stranger. "But I certainly was given place to track some bets," and even better - hear everybody's ideas!

She listened patiently to Z'haq's offering before 'hmm'ing softly. "So is that two bets or will both conditions have to be met for a single bet?"

Alosha is clarifying the number of bets so she can make a counter bet.

Tatterpixie

---------

Alosha certainly had been seeing lots of new faces with all of this betting! The red eyed firelizard didn't seem to bother the greenrider in the least, and she even offered Usurper a hand to sniff (or snap) at if the bronze so desired as Kaiator spoke.

"I am the one running bets. What are you thinking on?"

Zaikt

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:47 pm
Usurper seemed to sneer at the offered hand, but sniffed it daintily nonetheless, craning his long neck in order to get close enough to do so without actually moving too far from his perch. Kaiator glanced over at him, arching an eyebrow--Alosha was taking a hell of a risk, but it seemed to pay off when Usurper simply snorted and turned his nose up. Still, the whirling red of his eyes slowed somewhat, and he flicked his tail with a sense of relative finality that meant he was done, more or less. He withdrew then, compressing back into a condensed brick of anger. Kaiator knew better than to assume the spiteful little flit was really done, but he'd take the window of opportunity all the same.

"I've got one for a fellow Candidate. I'll wager that Haveli will Impress--" A pause. This was the part he wasn't too terribly sure on--he got the feeling she was likely to Impress a Green, but there were still other possibilities to consider. Brown or Blue were both on the table, and he'd be a fool to discount those. White...not so much, given High Reaches and their attitudes. "Could I be a bit vague and simply say a male dragon, or would you prefer something more specific than that?"

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:24 pm
Z'haq blinked, then laughed. "Oh no, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion," he said, shaking his head and sending his dreadlocks flying. "I meant that as two separate bets." Why would he do that to himself, have a single two-condition bet?

demon_pachabel

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

magnadearel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 am
demon_pachabel
Sorry I didn't clarify. One bet. The egg will hold a gold AND it will impress to Nala.

Ly'bur grinned, "one bet." His daughter was certainly worth a gold, and he could collect all the interesting tidbits about them.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:19 pm
"That depends," Alosha replied, twisting a lock of her hair thoughtfully. "All I have to say is she will impress a female dragon and my odds will be better than yours - over half a clutch is usually green, after all," and that wasn't including a potential gold or female white or anything of that sort either. "Are those odds you like?"

She was happy to play a safe bet if Kaiator was playing one so vague as well.

Zaikt

-----

"You'd be surprised. Some people make very specific single bets," Alosha replied with a smile, pausing in her scrubbing and tilting her head back in thought. Three bronzes, hmmmm.....five to Western.

"Very well, I bet that Western will see more girls than boys impress to this clutch, and that we'll see more metallics go to High Reaches candidates."

Alosha has bet that the majority of Western Candidates to impress will be girls - more than half.
Alosha has bet that more than half of the metallics clutched will impress to High Reaches Candidates.

Tatterpixie

-----

Ly'bur's bet was very specific, so Alosha wanted to be as specific. As daring and on edge as that was. After all, she could have made any easy bet in comparison to that and had her odds be good, so....

"I bet that whatever dragon Nalacko impresses will hatch from the first 5 eggs to do so."

Alosha is betting that Nalacko will impress one of the first 5 dragons to hatch.

Magnadearel

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 pm
You're not very good at this, you know, Makhmilith pointed out to T'of. Remember last time?

Actually, T'of didn't remember what he had bet last time, but he did recall that he hadn't won his bet, so there was probably something to Makh's criticism. It didn't stop him from deciding to try the odds this time though, and the deliberate good cheer he sent toward his dragon sent the blue grumbling into flight.

If you want my opinion, Makhmilith volunteered, you should simply bet that the dragons will figure it out for themselves.

That's not a bet. I don't think you understand bets, T'of retorted as he drew up to the person running the betting pool.

"Hello," he greeted her. "I'd like to place a bet on the upcoming hatching. I'd like to bet that the average age of the candidates who actually Impress will be twenty turns."

T'of is betting that the average age of the people who actually Impress dragons will be 20.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:20 am
"Hello!" Alosha answered in turn, much to Phaedrath's annoyance. Don't we have other things to be doing? This will only be a minute - a minute won't change what we were doing. If it had, Alosha may have been a bit more hurried to get on with it.

"20, hmm?" Alosha considered the age range that High Reaches actually allowed for a moment - not including the higher ages of Western's candidates at all.....20 was fairly feasible.

"Very well. I bet that the average age of female candidates who impress will be 18." A bit more daring, but...

Alosha bets that the average age of female candidates that impress will be 18

Princess_Feylin
This only considers Candidates who impress at the time of the Hatching and not later included NPC at Graduation!

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:25 pm
"Oh, that's certainly understandable." he replied smoothly, although his brow furrowed just a bit. This wasn't a bet he had great odds for, really--he knew that. Sure, he could see Haveli on a spitfire of a Green quite easily, but...hmm. "And I do get it. But I've made a decision all the same."
He offered up an equally smooth smile, and Casris briefly lifted his head to yawn before tucking his snout back into the crook of his neck. Kaiator, for all his efforts at composure, wiggled just a bit at the sudden contact, the ticklish feeling doing an excellent job at ruining the image he was trying to project for the time being.

"So--yes. I've made bets on worse odds before and come out on top. Who knows? Perhaps I'll be lucky."
High Reaches was a much more friendly environment to lose a bet in than Nabol, that was for sure. Could it be worse than the last few times he'd lost? Absolutely not.

Kaiator bets that Candidate Haveli will Impress to a male dragon.

[quote="demon_pachabel"  
[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces