Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
My friends play D&D : [ Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Play D&D with them?
  AGH! God, no!
  If your friends are nerds, you probably are too. Just play.
View Results

Danno

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:48 pm
Pretty much all my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want to sink to that level of nerdiness, though they continuously request I play with them. What do I do!?  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:47 pm
*coughs* Well, it is fun. *coughs*

I've played till the sun came up more than once.  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

Isho Von Ra

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:34 am
DannoP
Pretty much all my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want to sink to that level of nerdiness, though they continuously request I play with them. What do I do!?

It not as bad as you think, I used to think I will not sink that low before I started to play RPG.

Your best bet to is to find & play a different role-playing system, D&D hardly cut the grade for a RPG.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:08 pm
They keep trying to get me in with things like "It's really fun", "It's just like ____ video game", "There'll be chips!", and so on... But I'm more of a compu-'nerd' than... well... that other kind  

Danno

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:22 pm
Yesssss...join us.... you know you want to.
Come play with us Danno...  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:03 pm
It's not that I don't want to play because of what other people would say/think, it's just more of a personal "I feel so dirty..." feeling...  

Danno

Johnarra

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:19 am
i thought the same thing once....
look at me now...
my gaian character is even named after my D&D character razz  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:00 am
Does K.e.s.h stand for somthing or are the periods just for design prettyness purposes?  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Danno

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:37 pm
That's one of the reasons I'd feel dirty for playing! The names are just the beginning... My friends are always looking back on and discussing the 'adventures' they had last night when playing Dungeons and Dragons. And to be honest, it can sound quite pathetic... Like, they went on about how they through a paddle up and it hit a seagull and killed the enemy or some bizarre story like that. Or there's the time that they 'defeated a dragon', but then it fell on/crushed one of them. And then there's the absolute worst. They bring Dungeons and Dragons into reality... without even noticing! My friend brought up one day at school that some people in his household were watching Lord of the Rings and then Aragorn cut someone's head off or something, and then my friend said "Natural 20!" or something like that, which is apparently D&D talk for a very strong attack. And he said he wasn't even thinking about D&D at the time, him saying that just kind of happened. I'm happy at my level of 'nerdiness'; simply watching anime, spending as much time as possible on a computer, playing video games, and learning some scripting stuff for computers. But this whole D&D thing is like crossing the line, 3 times over...  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:05 pm
Now see, I'm one of those who plays, and makes jokes about things being a natural 20 (one of those impossible actions, that only can happen to one of the heros) or if they fumble something simple, they rolled a one.

But, I'm worse than that. I've infected all my kids. My real kids and my adopted kids all play. And not just D&D! No, we do shadowrun, mech warriors, vampires, rifts, and more! We actually sit down and exercise our brains at least two nights per week. We have to come up with story lines, reason out our actions, learn cooperation, do complex maths, and otherwise keep our minds active.

And - we have fun doing it. The trick is to know there are three types of games out there:

1) Kill them all, and pray you don't die while you're at it. (slaughter games)
2) Kill them all and loot them like heck. (shopping games)
3) Problems will send you to everyone in the world. (story games)

So, which style will be your favorite? Only time will tell. But if your friends are truly trying to pull you in, they'll figure it out and find a hook to drag you into the game.  

bitingback

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:27 pm
I dont know, when I play D&D it seems like its a bit of all three. What I personally really like is the strategy of combat though.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:54 am
Go on!! play it D&D is a great game XD i have a few games they kick a** tho they are for the computer but its pretty much the same thing nyaa! PLAY!!!  

Cthulhuwithtea

5,490 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Cthulhuwithtea

5,490 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 am
MrBobVilla
Yesssss...join us.... you know you want to.
Come play with us Danno...

listent ohim JOIN US ^_____^  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:44 pm
What if I were to say I have little imagination? When they tell stories of their 'adventures', one of them often says things like "Man, I could just see that dragon", indicating he has visuals of the adventures in his mind. I, on the other hand, had all my hopes and dreams crushed at a young age, and never had much of an imagination. I can't "see images in my head", though I can draw decently, so there must be some sort of visual memory involved... but none that I can summon at will. The way they describe playing Dungeons and Dragons is that they pretty much just talk the entire time (they once said they took an hour to decide how they were going to attack an enemy), and they say they don't use any little game board with humourous figurines. So what's someone like me supposed to do with that!? I can't imagine 'my character' and theirs suited up in weapons and armour attacking some monsters that are familiar from some of my video games.  

Danno

gimme_chocolate

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:19 pm
I play a little with my family ( eek yes, we're a whole family of nerds), and I can't or don't really visualize my character while I'm playing, but it's still a lot of fun. If only my dad would make up a new adventure so we could start playing again...  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games