Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
What makes a nerd? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What makes a nerd?
  Looks
  Interests
  Personality
  All of the above
  None of the above
View Results

Danno

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:28 pm
It's pretty easy to point out "Nerd" and "Not nerd", but what is it that makes a person a nerd? razz Is it the way they dress? Their weight? Glasses? Pimples? Hair? Pasty white skin? The way they look, or the way they act? Some kind of combination?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:21 pm
I think its actually an obsession to a specific topic. I think you are a nerd if you can quote strange inane facts about a given topic that you have a real passion for. And it's not just about random facts, its more about understanding the topic well and wanting to know more about it, actually enjoying learning about it.  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Danno

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:06 pm
So suppose someone is like that with, say, basketball. Does that make them a 'basketball nerd'?  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:39 pm
Oh I definitally think it does. You start ranting off basketball statistics at the top of your head and you are sooo a basketball nerd. 3nodding  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

psychotic__Gal

Tipsy Reveler

10,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:18 pm
Actually I hate all steriotypes... including the "nerd" one. People shouldn't be boxed into a stereotype just because of their appearance, personality, or interests... It's just wrong. I mean, you can totally think someone is a major nerd but you don't really know them. You don't know what goes on in their heads. There is no way you can. Plus, I think people can be more than one stereotype, which defeats the purpose of a stereotype anyway.

...I've been called a "dumb blond" too many times... lol...

Sorry that this is so... *searches for word* well, I don't know...

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:30 pm
MrBobVilla
Oh I definitally think it does. You start ranting off basketball statistics at the top of your head and you are sooo a basketball nerd. 3nodding

Loads of people know all sorts of useless statistics and player names for a bunch of sports, and they don't get ridiculed at all, whereas someone who watches a lot of anime and plays a lot of video games could be looked down upon, or even teased. Where is line drawn?  

Danno

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:23 pm
Or they are all nerds. Just idiots don't realize it when they are younger. I think this is somthing that definitally changes with age. At my age being a nerd is almost a status symbol. Even lots of girls look for nerds to date. It means the guy is smart, dedicated, probably loyal, and will someday have a good job.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:58 am
psychotic__Gal
Actually I hate all steriotypes... including the "nerd" one. People shouldn't be boxed into a stereotype just because of their appearance, personality, or interests... It's just wrong. I mean, you can totally think someone is a major nerd but you don't really know them. You don't know what goes on in their heads. There is no way you can. Plus, I think people can be more than one stereotype, which defeats the purpose of a stereotype anyway.

...I've been called a "dumb blond" too many times... lol...

Sorry that this is so... *searches for word* well, I don't know...

Perfect. ROFL. I love a person with a sense of humor, especially a subtle one. Good one... Psych!  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

Nycko

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:49 am
Nerds are worst than Geeks. lol.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:34 pm
How so?  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Danno

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:14 pm
What's the difference between a 'nerd' and a 'geek'?

MrBobVilla
Or they are all nerds. Just idiots don't realize it when they are younger. I think this is somthing that definitally changes with age. At my age being a nerd is almost a status symbol. Even lots of girls look for nerds to date. It means the guy is smart, dedicated, probably loyal, and will someday have a good job.

Well, that may be all fine and dandy where you live, but where I live, people are idiots. Many of the people around my school have the intelligence of a 7 year old. They think someone farting is hilarious, hitting 'nerds' on the back of the head with rolled up university pamphlets in the dark is even better than farting noises, and illiteracy is A-OK! The morons I deal with can't even read a sentence from a book without stuttering, asking the teacher "How do I say this word?" and having the teacher reply with how the word is said because pronouncing words is oh so difficult. And it's not that these people don't like reading aloud around others, it's that they actually do not know how to read these words. And aren't they just the kings and queens of humour when they make their unnecessary 'jokes' when they see a few 'nerds' hanging out. Comments like "Greetings, Earthlings" and "Oh, it's just some nerds". These people are too stupid to realize that not all 'nerds' are obsessed with outerspace and Star Trek. I'll bet they don't even know why the label others as nerds. They have no clue what they're talking about, yet they continue their little 'act' as if they do.
In summary, people are idiots.

These peoples' age group is 14-18, isn't it about time they acted their age?  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 pm
MrBobVilla
I think its actually an obsession to a specific topic. I think you are a nerd if you can quote strange inane facts about a given topic that you have a real passion for. And it's not just about random facts, its more about understanding the topic well and wanting to know more about it, actually enjoying learning about it.

I think this is a very good way of looking at it, and it's also probably why I think nerds are so cool. I respect passion for things smile

I would hate to live around the people you describe, DannoP. cry They do sound like idiots.
(And I like your avatar, btw)  

gimme_chocolate

Danno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:31 pm
I wonder if anyone would want to live around these idiots... aside from themselves. But what's life without conflict... confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:23 am
Well eventually if you are smart you will go off to college somewhere and you wont have as many problems.  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Kekma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:17 pm
MrBobVilla

So compleatly true!  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games