Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Nerdy Places To Visit? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:19 pm
I've been wondering about what kind of places you would consider nerdy. What constitutes a nerdy trip? Scifi conventions? Museums? Other things?

So post about what you consider to be a nerdy place or what nerdy places you have been to!  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:28 pm
Okay... If this doesn't qualify as a nerd place to go visit, I'll smoke some deathsticks.

The Science Fiction Museum in Seattle is about 50 yards away from the Space Needle, so it's a no-brainer to find. It has two floors devoted to as many aspects of science fiction as they could pack into it. You can listen to the radio broadcast of The War of The Worlds, check out a nice display of futuristic weapons, or look at campy artwork from the time of pulp sci fi.

The interplay of current issues in society with the science fiction of the time is explored. Costumes from various movies and TV shows are displayed. I particularly liked seeing one of the costumes that Anne Francis wore in Forbidden Planet. If you like science fiction, you should definitely try to visit the SFM someday.

http://www.sfhomeworld.org/  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:00 pm
What is pulp scifi? O-O  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 pm
Science fiction written for the magazine market... at the time it featured a great many BBB's (Brass-Bra Babes) and BEM's (Bug-Eyed Monsters) *laughs*  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

Pomegranate Love

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:46 am
All of the different museums that are part of the Smithsonian Institution. Especially the one of Natural History. Yay for botany.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:30 am
Galaxy, its a book store in sydneys city my Bf took me there today its CHOKKER BLOCK full of every fantasy type book u can think of~  

Alexie_dennison

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200

Yasei okibi kitsune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:28 am
Alexie_dennison
Galaxy, its a book store in sydneys city my Bf took me there today its CHOKKER BLOCK full of every fantasy type book u can think of~

is that so.....  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:18 am
COMPLEATLY HAPPY I GO TO OTAKON THIS YEAR! *Dances happly*  

Kekma

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:53 pm
Lucky sad

I want to go to otakon somtime. =  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:18 am
what is OTAKON? i may be going to an anime convention in serptember w/ one of my best friends. heart  

Moonlight_shadow434

Familiar Guardian

11,575 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

x_Inkheart_x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:32 am
The museum of natural history in NY. I go there about every year. They always have new things and old stuff but I still learn a lot. Then if your bored just go to Central Park which is just one block away for a walk. If you're still bored, just walk through Central Park and go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:11 pm
MrBobVilla
Lucky sad

How far away from Boston do you live?  

Kekma

Kekma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:13 pm
hatsuharusgial
what is OTAKON? i may be going to an anime convention in serptember w/ one of my best friends. heart

It is the largest anime convention on the East coast.
^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:14 pm
x_Inkheart_x
The museum of natural history in NY. I go there about every year. They always have new things and old stuff but I still learn a lot. Then if your bored just go to Central Park which is just one block away for a walk. If you're still bored, just walk through Central Park and go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I love going there too. I just haven't been there in a while.  

Kekma

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:22 pm
Kekma
MrBobVilla
Lucky sad

How far away from Boston do you live?

I live like an hour north of boston. Why?  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games