Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
the difference between nerds and geeks. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

are you a nerd or a geek?
  yes
  no
View Results

Anabethe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:51 pm
a lot of people confuse the two, or think that it is the same thing, but there is actually a difference. a nerd is a person who is smart, a geek doesnt have to necessarily be smart, its the way they act or dress that makes them a geek. i have no idea why i made this topic. i guess is because a. for the gold, or b. just to clear it up for some people, it would be great if all of u leave comment but please dont be rude to me, or act as if im slow.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:20 am
That's already been cleared up in the nerd, geek, or jock topic. Also there's dorks. Can't forget the dorks.
:le geek:  

Angel_of_Vengeance

OoBn637O

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:27 am
I think I would fall under nerd.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:51 pm
Actually, I think a nerd is someone who's just smart.

A geek is a nerd with social skills.

At least that's how it seems to me. XD  

Mookyvet

1,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Atropa Belladonna]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:54 pm
That's really, really stupid. I am a proud geek. I play RPGs (and GM), I play many instruments, and I'm in the SCA (I dress up in medieval clothing and hit people with sticks).

I am also a model, and I dress very well.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:51 pm
Nerds are smart
Geeks are Nerds that are popular and started Popular
Dorks are Nerds/Geeks because they are social, but have been rejected by popular people and by Nerds...or somewhat accepted by nerds, but not by enough..

This is all based on the people in Arlington, Tx...  

Fascienne

ShyGuy2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:14 am
The way I understood it, Nerds and Geeks are both smart, the difference between them is that Nerds have a good deal of general knowledge, covering many different types of information, whereas geeks have extended knowledge of a single topic. Thus, a geek may be more lacking in social skills than a nerd, as whatever topic they have extensive knowledge in may not be of interest to everybody. Intelligence has nothing to do with one's classification as a dork. A dork is just someone who lacks social skills.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:43 am
Mookyvet
Actually, I think a nerd is someone who's just smart.

A geek is a nerd with social skills.

At least that's how it seems to me. XD

i agree mrgreen  

ilovemylove

Wolfe-Elliot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:17 pm
Geeks also tend to be rather creepy yet a good nerd can ALWAYS be hugged without the fear of bad dreams later on. Nerds are love! w00!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:37 am
Fascienne
Nerds are smart
Dorks are Nerds/Geeks because they are social, but have been rejected by popular people and by Nerds...or somewhat accepted by nerds, but not by enough..

Whoa...I agree. And..I'm from Arlington Texas! xD  

K i t t y__x

Fascienne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm
xxFirexLeafxx
Fascienne
Nerds are smart

Whoa...I agree. And..I'm from Arlington Texas! xD

Sveet! *hugs and brownies*  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:17 pm
Wow...I totally mentioned this in another topic a minute ago.

Quote:
I'd say a nerd is a person with no social skills, odd hobbies and is extremely intelligent. A geek is the same thing, but less socially inept, and with a usually quirky sense of humour. A nerd, though, couldn't crack a joke to save his/her life. Both have average social skills when in groups of their own kind.

As for dorks, I kinda think of them as like nerd, but not smart. So people with no social ability, weird hobbies, and are dumb.  

Omicron-Machine

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:03 pm
All of these definitions are just plain wrong. The truth of the matter is that there is no agreed upon definition and just going by a dictionari'es definition isn't enough. Nerds and geeks will argue about this for eternity. ><  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:12 am
I vote Geek, it's just so much a better title in my opinion. I've got plenty of friends, everyone knows my name even if I have never met them before. I'm uber smart, a RPer, LARPer, Anime fan, video game fan, artist...The list goes on, so yeah. I like the term "geek".  

BoxyBlue

Dapper Codger

7,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200

demonic possession

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:18 am
Kenji Wolf
I vote Geek, it's just so much a better title in my opinion. I've got plenty of friends, everyone knows my name even if I have never met them before. I'm uber smart, a RPer, LARPer, Anime fan, video game fan, artist...The list goes on, so yeah. I like the term "geek".

me too.

in fact, in my school if you're labeled a 'geek' then you tend to have more friends than any other stereotypical label.

that's scary, since i go to a public school.  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games