Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
D & D Nerd Question!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bunny
  Shoot>< I wanted to be DAE PENGUIN!!
View Results

Fascienne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:18 pm
Can someone go into a baag of holding, and if so, how do you get out?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:51 pm
I don't think so, but it's up to your GM anyway 3nodding .  

Effervescent Dreams

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Storm_Airielle

Fashionable Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:00 pm
I don't think so..what would they breathe? Where would they stand? physically yes you could probably cram them in if the mouth were wide enough but I presume you want a still living person to come back out.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 pm
Well, I know in a D&D game that I ran actually, we ended up having to search all the D&D books our club had acess to (practically every D&D 3.5 offical WoTC book in print) and basically found that as long as the creature is within the size limitations of what the bag can hold, it can stay in a bag, I believe up to ten mins. With the supply of air that would be stored inside of the bag that is.

You can live inside of a bag, but you still need, air, water, food and you know, bathrooms? Which you either need to leave the bag open so that a steady supply of air can come in, or the person needs to own the Ioun Stone where they don't need air. Then in addition another way to keep a character alive in a portable hole is to equip them with a "Bag of Never Ending Rations" (Out of the "Heroes of Battle Book" and it costs about 350gp, this will supply the character with rations for the day, every day.) or a ring of sustence.

I only know this because one of the Elves in my game decided that it would be fun to have a portable Gnome and promtly talked the Gnome into leaping into their backpack... Which I think was a Hewardy's Handy HaverSack, but, you know, close enough.

And as far as getting out, the bag's flap would have to be left open so that they could push it open. Then the character would either need a small ladder/step ladder, or would have to attempt to climb out. Unless someone helped them out of the bag that is.  

AuronsDoll

Sango78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:06 am
?no idea...?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 pm
As has been said, there are multiple ways to survive. One way is to survive for ten minutes, or with rations. Speaking of, someone outside of the bag of holding could dump rations into the bag instead of hving the Bag of Infinite Rations. The one problem with living from a bag of holding, is that even in the world of D&D, noone, not NPC nor PC, can truly understand the bag, and its dimension. Inside the bag is another dimension, which is how it is able to store so much. ...Hehe...as I know from personal experience, this same property can be adapted to most holding devices: for example, as happened in one of our "adventures", an enchanted covered clown cart/clown car. Although one of our PC's and an NPC went missing inside...>.>...  

Isto Velve

DarkLynx9701

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:49 pm
My DM doesn't allow for that sort of thing since as he understands it the inside of the bag after its closed is an airless space.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:46 am
I play D & D and I have no idea what you guys are talking about. That's sad.  

briC4-12

X -Hot_Pink_Horror- X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:00 pm
It is up to your DM, but normally, no a person could not fit into a bag of holding.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:05 pm
i played for over 15 years and we never allowed it, so i would say nope.  

dondcook

Giglioronamonacon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:35 am
My group and I once had a major argument over this, In the end the DM didn't allow it even though my character (Gnomish Monk) could have fit through the bags opening.

We were trying to hide me from some extremely 'racist/specist against Gnomes' NPC's.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:47 am
i have the understanding that nothing alive can survive a bag of holding. just because it is another dimension that is suppossed to be endless and u have to summon back to u what is in the bag. i imagine there is no bottom to sit , stand or hang on to. but true the dm rules the universe. LOL i'm such a dork, *cries*  

daemonchylde

undacuva_druid

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 am
Are we talking about a bag of holding or a Heward's Handy Haversack? (Or both? I imagine the rules may be slightly different...)

As usual it's DM's discretion, As a DM myself, I'd allow it. However, I think there are rules... not sure where without getting the books to check which I cbf doing atm (will later maybe and repost if I find it)...

I think it's something like you can stay in there as long as the air you have holds out which is about what you went in with (I imagine that cloak of adaptation would make this length of time infinite razz ), you can get out if someone pulls you out (actively trying to pull you out, not by mistake).

In my friend's campaign when they were in a tower and attacked by a dragon one of the PC's made everyone get int a bag of holding, then he threw it from the window. He died but all the other PC's remembered him for it smile

In a campaign I was a PC in, we were on a sinking ship and a couple of our players couldn't swim due to heavy armour and the like so some of us polymorphed, some called animals to help us and at least one PC climbed into the bag of holding we had and let a swimming PC take him to shore razz  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 pm
Are you planning on kidnapping someone in your game?  

Contagious Cure

Dunedien

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:21 pm
I played a halfling in one of my games and actually did travel in a bag of holding for five minates. We needed to go fast and were short a horse. The dimensional space of our bag of holding was five by five feet, and based on that we were able to calculate the amount of air I would have in the bag with me. The only problem was that i needed to be lifted out of the bag. You can go into a bag of holding, but not stay there for long. (We also shoved a captive knome in there once, but we left him in too long... neutral )  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games