Do you like memes?
  yes I've done a few, or plan to do one
  no I don't like them
  yes, in fact I made one myself
View Results

oO Starling Oo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Hop on the bandwagon! You know em, you might have even done some. How do you feel about the memes that sweep dA every once in a while? Perhaps the best example is Nyu famous meme about art. Another up and coming wagon is Liliy's Shout it Out [Link] which is similar to the well known post secret project. So fellow dA-ers, how do you feel about them? xD

an artist's job is to bring beauty to the ordinary

Past polls:
Is graffiti art?
yes
37% [ 3 ]
no
0% [ 0 ]
Only the good ones, not the scribbly ones
62% [ 5 ]
-------

Do you prefer...
cg art (computer)
30%
30% [ 6 ]
traditional [paper/canvas]
45%
45% [ 9 ]
mixed media
25%
25% [ 5 ]
----------

Do you have a Pixel ID?
Yup
33%
33% [ 6 ]
Nope
61%
61% [ 11 ]
A what?
5%
5% [ 1 ]
------------

Are you planning to major in art?
Yes
66%
66% [ 6 ]
No
22%
22% [ 2 ]
Not sure
11%
11% [ 1 ]  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:46 pm
Graffiti is just as much an artisitic medium as pencil or paint... you have your skilled artists that do great works and actual intend to create and you have your idiots that can barely scrawl their names...

Legally If I make a perfect reproduction of the Mona Lisa on the wall of a building without the owners permission, its graffiti, If I have his permission, its a mural....  

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

oO Starling Oo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:49 pm
Very good point mcleod! One of my favorite parts about going into new york city is the graffiti. Some of them are simply amazing. Though I prefer to stick with my pencils and paper 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:19 pm
[.ti.amo.]
Very good point mcleod! One of my favorite parts about going into new york city is the graffiti. Some of them are simply amazing. Though I prefer to stick with my pencils and paper 3nodding

Though I used what is usually a graphitti medium (Sharpies) I have done Murals all over local skateparks and youth centers ^_^ even my own house!

I can't do too well with prushes or spray paint, but gimme chalk, pastel, pencil, pen or marker and I'm decent.  

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

Kamahi
Captain

Questionable Explorer

8,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 am
mcleod_legacy
[.ti.amo.]

Though I used what is usually a graphitti medium (Sharpies) I have done Murals all over local skateparks and youth centers ^_^ even my own house!

I can't do too well with prushes or spray paint, but gimme chalk, pastel, pencil, pen or marker and I'm decent.

It reminds me of the artist Julian Beever. HE IS AMAZING. heart He does 3-D pavement chalk drawings. Go to this link to see his illusiouns!

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:40 pm
Kamahi
mcleod_legacy
[.ti.amo.]

It reminds me of the artist Julian Beever. HE IS AMAZING. heart He does 3-D pavement chalk drawings. Go to this link to see his illusiouns!

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

I WISH I was half as talented/skilled as that  

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

CaptainBaconMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm
Heck, if it looks cool, and actually took some efort, I think its art. PLease spare me of your definition, I don't care.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 am
Wow CaptainBaconMan - way to stunt the conversation confused

I remember watching an Exteme Makeover Home Edition where they'd had a graffiti artist paint in on of the kids room. When the dad saw it, he called it urban art. I just thought it was pretty cool that a middle aged person would appreciate that medium.  

whifling

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:53 am
Art is in the eye of the beholder, unless you're playing DnD in which case thats a +5 b*****d sword in there.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:08 pm
I think I like to use computers because it isn't messy, lol.
Though most often I'll draw out the art on paper first.
But I appreciate both styles biggrin  

oO Starling Oo
Vice Captain

Onmyouza-tou

Clean Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm
I like traditional pencil and paper art. Or brush and canvas....any medium you want to use, really. I just don't like the fake look of CG art - it's one thing if you color it or if it's photo manipulation, but pure CG art is only good for 3D modeling. Imho, at least.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:05 pm
CG cleans up better, but I'm better at pen/pencil  

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

Kamahi
Captain

Questionable Explorer

8,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:42 am
The only thing that sucks about traditional mediums is that when you mess up, you try lookin for a 'undo' button xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:33 pm
Kamahi
The only thing that sucks about traditional mediums is that when you mess up, you try lookin for a 'undo' button xd

I just wad it up and restart, that or make the mistake into part of the picture  

mcleod_legacy
Vice Captain

Acerbic Song

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:18 pm
I prefer mixed media.
I like to see what people can do when they mix certain types of media together--it looks really nice sometimes.

I usually work with traditional media, since I fail at Paint and I don't know how to CG. P:

Project DA History

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff