Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 am
OMG! I remember doing many of those things and more! blaugh We had party-line telephones that we shared with neighbors. Had only 5 [black and white] TV channels to choose from, in which all the broadcasting stations turned off at 2 AM and back on again at 6 AM. We played outside with the neighborhood kids all the time, and my parents would call us home using a dinner bell that was mounted on a pole in our backyard (my dad still has that old bell!) 3nodding We used to go to a nearby pond/mud hole and catch polywogs in glass jars. And, we lived on a hill, and of course we just had to have an assortment of wheels to include skates that strapped to our shoes, skateboards made from skate wheels, wagons, bikes, etc, and NO HELMETS! And guess what! I'm still here! Yeah! This topic is SOOO COOL! xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm
Man have I enjoyed reminiscing thru this thread! I am not a member... yet, but I have applied, and with some luck, I'll be accepted. smile

I was born in 1956 and lived the first 12 years of my life in towns of less than 2,000 population in Western North Carolina, USA.

My first home we lived out of the city limits so we weren't on city water lines. We had well water. It was piped into the house, but from a pump house right outside the kitchen.

There was a sawmill down the hill from us that was offlimits to us, but we loved to play there. When it rained, the mist would make the sawdust formable and we could dig tunnels all thru there! Mom always knew when we had been playing there and I never understood how. We'd get our butts beat even tho my brother and I would pick each other clean after playing there! It was years later when she finally told me she could smell the sawdust. DOH! rolleyes

I remember as a 5 y/o walking alone 1/4 mile down the road to see "Uncle Pearl" to go visit his dogs.

I remember those party lines on the telephone. They could be quite fun! wink

Even up to the age of 16, pre-driving age, I was walking long distances to get where I wanted to go. I was rarely at home, inside, gelling, watching TV, any of that stuff. I was always outside on the go. Mom never quite knew where I was, she just knew I was usually in the woods. I had trails all thru the woods at the top of our hill in Asheville, NC, along the edge of the Blue Ridge Parkway. My friends and I hiked alot too. TV just never meant much to me back then, however since we were back in the mountains, we had cable TV because it had to be brought in by "cable" to get the signals over the mountains. lol  

Bluheart xX

sexyrosebud

Loyal Mage

13,300 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:54 pm
1960's  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:11 pm
I was born in 1958 and I remember these things. It has been cool reading all the posts and remembering all the things we did when we were kids. Shocking that we survived!

I remember walking down the hill to the Chubby's country store and giving him two dimes and getting a little paper bag filled with penny candy. It was great! No one kidnapped or molested me, or ran me down or stole my penny candy either! My favorite was the candy lipstick! I dont think I liked the taste so much as the fact that I felt I cheated my dad's "NO make up till you're 16" rule, LOL  

LilacBreezes

rainbowlady1

Spiritual Counselor

28,790 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm
Well I'm brand spanking new here and glad to be smile I don't know who sent me the invite, LOL but I'm happy to be.

I love how I make friends on gaia and somehow the question of age comes up and I tell them "does it matter"? lol -- if they press me further I say "My inner child is alive and well and living in the present with me" .. and that "My outsides may show the decades, but my heart is forever young" or something to that effect ... and if they ask me further I tell them 46 .... and you can almost hear the eek and see the popped eyes out when they somehow KNEW I was older, but didn't think I was THAT OLD ... makes me laugh ... I'm no methusalah ya know ... lol ...
But I can remember when I USED to think 40 was old and that 2002 was a LONG way away ... and now I've wizzed past it lol xp

My favorite saying I've heard was "OMG! You're as old as MY MOM!" lol  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 pm
I love that , I was born in 1977 and grew up country , hell favorite past time was rock fights and shooting each other with bb guns LoL , I raise my kids the way I was raised, I basically tell them you will here everything will kill you but so will walking across the street and just going out your door. If it happens it will happen. Also I teach them to respect there elders lol funny when teachers come to me and say i have never seen such respectful and well behaved kids , i guess the kids in the school systems now adays are hellions.  

Kiana_Pryce

BrackishKitten

750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 am
You guys make me feel young. I was born in '87 but I still remember some of this stuff.

Like when dinner was a home cooked meal and not something made from a box or just thrown in the nuker.

When you got in trouble it was an a** beating, not just getting the TV or computer or Playstation taken away.

Our parents use to be friends and kept in touch. And if you were going to their house to spend the night your parents would call to make sure that was the real plan.

Two words: Family Night.

You use to woof down your lunch to get back outside to play or swim.

You could play ball in the middle of the street (as long as you didn't live on a main street) without getting hit my some maniac doing 90 through a stop sign.

Swimming in the creek or lake or river wasn't forbidden. And by the time you were 5 you were an expert swimmer.

Older Sibblings actually looked out for you and hung out with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:38 am
I came about in the very late 70's, just in time to fully appreciate how great the 80's were! (That counts, doesn't it?)  

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100

Darth Step-Mommicus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:52 am
Yeah I was born in 1977 and grew up on a farm in Oklahoma outside of a town that was still in the 60's. I remember when kids did go outside and play. I have Step children now and I am amazed at how much they want to stay inside. I have to force them to go out side for at least 2 hours everyday. They have no imagination, I remember back then we could find anything to play with. I MISS THE OLD DAYS!
I keep wondering with seeing all the recall's on toy's if the toys are really the real danger or if the kids are just getting dumber!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:04 am
Wow , there are people here my age and even one older. And yeah I remember all that stuff. Fishing and swimmin in the creek, Even rode to friends house on my horse. Slept in the loft with my friends and cats. Played softball and tag with neighborhood kids. Our horses would occasionally get out and go down to the country store and stand outside and wait for sweets. The owner would call dad and tell him to send them with money next time.  

Goldiepirate

11,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

pinkbeelever

1,500 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 am
I was born in the mid 1960's so I just caught the tale end of the hippie's but mostly my gen was pretty boring. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am
BB gun?
10th Birthday?
You're kidding... right? I had one of those when I was FOUR! By the time I was 10, it was 'unsupervised squirrel hunting time' every Saturday morning that the temperature was below 50F and it wasn't sleeting or hailing (though Mom complained when it rained). Heck, I think I killed my first innocent furry creature at 5!

I remember swimming in creeks where you could look downstream and SEE the gators- cause if you can SEE them, that means they aren't in the water with you. wink And if they were... well, it was legal to kill them IF they were 'attacking' you. biggrin

Mom was told BY HER DOC to drink a glass of wine to help her sleep when she was pregnant with me!

I not only got whippings, but had to pick out my own switch... and learned really quickly that just because peach limbs LOOK fragile, that don't mean that they are.

And who needed a driver's license? I can remember driving to school at 15... especially for football games; if there were any problems, the cops would lie and say that an adult was in the car!  

Tempest_MP

Goldiepirate

11,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:18 am
Bluheart xX
Man have I enjoyed reminiscing thru this thread! I am not a member... yet, but I have applied, and with some luck, I'll be accepted. smile

I was born in 1956 and lived the first 12 years of my life in towns of less than 2,000 population in Western North Carolina, USA.

My first home we lived out of the city limits so we weren't on city water lines. We had well water. It was piped into the house, but from a pump house right outside the kitchen.

There was a sawmill down the hill from us that was offlimits to us, but we loved to play there. When it rained, the mist would make the sawdust formable and we could dig tunnels all thru there! Mom always knew when we had been playing there and I never understood how. We'd get our butts beat even tho my brother and I would pick each other clean after playing there! It was years later when she finally told me she could smell the sawdust. DOH! rolleyes

I remember as a 5 y/o walking alone 1/4 mile down the road to see "Uncle Pearl" to go visit his dogs.

I remember those party lines on the telephone. They could be quite fun! wink

Even up to the age of 16, pre-driving age, I was walking long distances to get where I wanted to go. I was rarely at home, inside, gelling, watching TV, any of that stuff. I was always outside on the go. Mom never quite knew where I was, she just knew I was usually in the woods. I had trails all thru the woods at the top of our hill in Asheville, NC, along the edge of the Blue Ridge Parkway. My friends and I hiked alot too. TV just never meant much to me back then, however since we were back in the mountains, we had cable TV because it had to be brought in by "cable" to get the signals over the mountains. lol

Wow you are the first person on Gaia that is older than I am.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 am
I was born in 1976 bicetineal year. I remember rideing my bike everywhere and doing wheeles on my BMX. There were two elderly ladies that lived next door to me I was always at their house eating cookies and stuff. I really miss them. Going to my granddad's farm and haveing the run of 450 acres was so much un and I learned how to farm. I really miss my childhood.  

BLACKJAGUARKAT

Shirley_J_Marie

1,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am
Really loved reading this thread. I was born in 1938. You can believe I remember it all and then some. razz  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff