Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Mythology I ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:06 pm
Lesson 3: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

User Image

Summary: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.

Controversy: This particular tale has been subject to two rewrites, for different reasons. Beatrix Bloxam rewrote the tale to make it more appropriate for children, believing that the depiction of the pot was too gruesome for children. On the other hand, blood purists rewrote the tale to completely change the depictions of the father and son. In the original tale, the father is depicted as a kindly old man, and much cleverer than his son. The son, a blood purist, is shown to be cruel and selfish. In the Bard’s tale, the Hopping Pot is a device created by the father, meant to force the son out of his selfish ways and teach him to help the muggles who live in the nearby village as he had in his life. But, in the revised version, the Pot instead is meant to protect the son from the muggles, who attack him for practicing magic. In this version, the Pot gulps most of the villagers, and the wizard tells the muggles that if they leave him alone, they will be safe. Copies of the original story were destroyed to such an extent that it was considered a miracle that any child has heard it. Many wizard children still grow up hearing only the revised edition.

Homework: Write a short essay on the differences between the original story and either of the revised versions.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

mc2
Cathaline League
Present: 2/5
Absent: 3/5

Diamond Wales
Elijah Pemberton
Present: 1/5
Absent: 4/5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Students
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ I wonder what they'll have to say today, ❞

╚═══════════════════════════════╝

The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes, დ დ დxxx
                                                          But we are hiding in a safer place. დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          Under covers staying dry and warm; დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore. დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Alright, class, today we'll be going over one of Beedle the Bard's most well-known and controversial stories, The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. Hopefully you've all read the story; if not, you're going to be a bit behind. The summary is on the board, but it is just a summary, after all, and missing quite a bit of important information." She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "Now, the controversial nature of this particular story abounds; it has been written and rewritten time and time again by people who did not agree with its message and wished to bastardize it for their own gains. Can anyone tell me what about this story offended so man people?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          xxxდ დ დ It starts in my toes, makes me crinkle my nose.
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ Wherever it goes, I always know
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ That you make me smile, please stay for a while.
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ Just take your time, wherever you go.

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 pm
Lesson 3: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework: Write a short essay on the differences between the original story and either of the revised versions.

Homework for Lesson 3 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 4.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 pm
Lesson 4: The Warlock's Hairy Heart

User Image

Summary: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love. After overhearing his servants mocking him for failing to attract a wife despite all his wealth and power, he resolves to find the perfect witch to be his bride. He finds such a witch and attempts to court her, but she is able to sense his coldness, and says she would marry him, if only he had a heart. He takes her to the deepest dungeon of his castle and shows her his heart, which has grown hairy and shriveled through years of remaining untouched. He attempts to place it back in his chest, but the years of seclusion have perverted it and made it dark. He kills the witch and take her heart in an attempt to replace the one in his chest with it, but the heart is too powerful, and the warlock and witch are both found dead.

Controversy: Unlike many of the Bard’s tales, this particular story has never been subject to criticism for pro-muggle sentiments, as there are none to be found. However, it is the darkest and most disturbing of the stories, making it an interesting fact that, of all the Bard’s stories, it is the most prevalent and well known, at least in regards to the original story. Professor Albus Dumbledore believed that this is because the tale speaks to the darkest parts of the human soul and as such was regarded as an important lesson for young witches and wizards, teaching them not to seek power by meddling in the dark arts. Parallels have been drawn between the warlock’s act of removing his heart and the creation of a Horcrux. The story has had such an impact that the phrase 'To have a hairy heart' was often heard in years past to describe a person who was unfeeling.

Homework: Write a short essay on the phrase 'to have a hairy heart' and why you believe the heart became so cold and twisted in its years of seclusion.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

mc2
Cathaline League
Present: 2/5
Absent: 3/5

Diamond Wales
Elijah Pemberton

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:20 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Students
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ I wonder what they'll have to say today, ❞

The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes, დ დ დxxx
                                                          But we are hiding in a safer place. დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          Under covers staying dry and warm; დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore. დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Alright, class, today's story is an interesting one, The Warlock's Hairy Heart. It's regarded by many to be more of a horror story than one for children. Because of this, it has sparked a lot of controversy, as have most of the Bard's tales. Hopefully you've all read the story; if not, you're going to be a bit behind. The summary is on the board, but it is just a summary, after all, and missing quite a bit of important information." She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "This story is, in a word, horrifying. It was meant to evoke feelings of fear and shock. This is a far cry from the Bard's other stories, which are typically considered to be much more light-hearted. It has been suggested that the rather graphic nature of the story was intentional; the Bard meant to shock his readers so that they would always remember the story, to ensure that the lesson it held stuck with them. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this particular story is?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

xxxდ დ დ It starts in my toes, makes me crinkle my nose.
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ Wherever it goes, I always know
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ That you make me smile, please stay for a while.
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ Just take your time, wherever you go.

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:07 am
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

The Man:
              • Born in Yorkshire in the 15th century.
              • Author of many of the wizarding world’s most well-known and famous folktales.
              • Little is known of the man or his personal life.
              • Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
              • He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
              • His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
              • There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as ‘The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
              The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
              The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
              The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

First Lesson Survey: Please fill this out in your first post. Failure to do so will result in 5 house points being docked.

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

Yukina101
Timothy Cherri

AlphaApex
Dylan Burgamy

Quote:
Elliott Holt

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:09 am
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ♥ grαчsσn pσwєll ♥
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Third Years
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Excited
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Let's see what this batch is like. ❞

thє rαín ís f α l l í n ' σn mч wíndσwpαnєs დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          вut wє αrє h í d í n g ín α s α f є r p l α c є დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          undєr cσvєrs stαчíng d r ч αnd w α r m დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          чσu gívє mє f є є l í n g s thαt í α d σ r є დ დ დxxx

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "Hello, everyone, I'm Amata Harlowe, and I'll be your Mythology professor. You can call me Professor Harlowe. Now, when you arrive in my class, the first thing you should do is copy down the day's notes from the board. I'll give you a few minutes to do that, and then we'll begin a discussion on the lesson's subject. I'd like you all to know that this lesson operates mostly on a discussion basis. That is, I will give the information that the lesson covers, and then I'll open the floor for discussion. Any student who contributes will earn house points, provided that their contribution is not offensive or rude or disruptive. Please respect your fellow students and their opinions, even if you don't agree with them."

spaceAmata paused, giving them a moment to let that sink in. Not that she expected problems from any of them, but one could never be too sure, after all. After a decent pause, she began a short lecture. "Our first lesson is on Beedle the Bard. If you could all please copy the notes on the board, I've included most of the important information there. One of the most important things to know about the Bard is that he was a controversial figure in his time, and is still considered to be one by some. His views were ahead of their time, radical for the period. Can anyone tell me why, or offer up any interesting information on the Bard? Or, if you have a question, feel free to ask." She waited, her demeanor expectant and curious. It was always interesting to hear what the newest batch of students thought of the lessons. This first topic had been cleverly selected to allow her to get a feel for them and their beliefs and opinions. Thus far, she hadn't had any students who seemed to follow a strictly purist leaning, for which she was grateful. She doubted very much if she'd be able to keep her attitude professional if a student tried to argue the finer points of pureblood superiority with her.

xxxდ დ დ ít stαrts ín mч t σ є s, mαkєs mє c r í n k l є mч n σ s є
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ w h є r є v є r ít gσєs, í α l w α ч s knσw
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ thαt чσu mαkє mє s m í l є, plєαsє s t α ч fσr α w h í l є
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ just t α k є чσur t í m є , w h є r є v є r чσu gσ

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 am
User Image
Dylan
Burgamy

RavenclawThird Year13 Years OldSingle │ Chaser

Dylan made his way into the classroom, taking a seat in the back and looking up to the board. Looks like they'd be getting right to it. He took out a quill, taking notes on Beetle the Bard. His mother had read some of those stories to him when he was a small child, so he was just a bit familiar with some of the stories listed. He had no idea the man was so controversial though, but due to the fact that he seemed to hate witches and wizards who were like some of the students in Slytherin, and high regard for Muggles. He found it quite hard to believe that someone would hate him for that, but, well, times were different then.

Name: Dylan Burgamy.
House: Ravenclaw.
Year: Third year.
Blood Status: Half-blood.
Curriculum: I'm familiar with some of the stories involved with Mythology, as my mother has quite an interest in those kinds of things, and shared a lot with me. Although I'm excited to learn anything I might not know!
Something interesting about you: Well I don't think I have anything interesting about me, but hmm.. I really had no interest in quidditch my first year, but now I love it!

Quote:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:
What: Learning!
Where: Mythology I
With: Professor Harlowe and other students

Deviled Dregs

Wealthy Lunatic

7,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:25 am
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ṡïṉģlε
                                                          Looking Smart in Mythology with Classmates
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Curious
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ This should be interesting... ❞

ḋø ÿøυ hαṿε τhε τ ï ṃ ε τø l ï ṡ τ ε ṉ τø ṃε ώ h ï ṉ ε x❃ ❃ ❃xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          αвøυτ ṉ ø τ h ï ṉ ģ αṉḋ ε ṿ ε ɾ ÿ τ h ï ṉ ģ αll ατ øṉсε? x❃ ❃ ❃xxxxxxxxx
                                                          ï αṃ øṉε øƒ τhøṡε ṃ ε l ø ḋ ɾ α ṃ α τ ï с ƒøølṡ x❃ ❃ ❃xxxxxx
                                                          ṉ ε υ ɾ ø τ ï с τø τhε в ø ṉ ε, ṉø ḋ ø υ в τ αвøυτ ïτ x❃ ❃ ❃xxx

spaceElliott took a seat next to Dylan in the classroom. He didn't think he'd ever really spoken to his housemate aside from the occasional passing hello, which was probably odd, since they shared a dormroom, but then, he wasn't a particularly talkative person in general. It took someone approaching him, like Arianna had, to get him to socialize at all, really. Still, he didn't have a problem with the other boy, though he wouldn't be surprised if Dylan's opinion of him was less-than-stellar. He was something of a snot, and could come off as a jerk... he didn't mean to. He just had very little patience for... well, most things, really. The third year sighed faintly, filling out the Professor's form for the second time that week. He thought that he might cheat a bit and include the same 'interesting fact' about himself, which was not particularly interesting at all, but it seemed pointless. So, instead, he jotted down another somewhat odd trait he had, and then copied down the notes. Professor Harlowe had opened the floor to comments or questions, so he considered briefly, then raised his hand. "Beedle the Bard's stories have been adapted many times, most famously by Beatrix Bloxam, who I notice is on the syllabus for the year. I can only hope that we are merely discussing her, and not reading her versions of the stories? I've been told that they're... awful, in a word. Apparently they induce retching, which is quite a feat for a book, I think." Elliott admitted, he was being a bit of a smartarse, but then, he had a feeling from his first lesson with her that the professor was inclined to be amused by those sorts of things, so long as it wasn't at the expense of anyone who could be hurt by it. Beatrix Bloxam was almost certainly above criticism for her God-awful work; if he recalled correctly, the woman was dead. And, in any case, her stories had been perfectly awful, if history were to be believed. It might simply be an exaggeration, but it was a rather funny one, he'd admit.

xxx❃ ❃ ❃x ṡøṃετïṃεṡ ï ģ ï ṿ ε ṃ ÿ ṡ ε l ƒ τhε с ɾ ε ε ρ ṡ
                                                          xxxxxx❃ ❃ ❃x ṡøṃετïṃεṡ ṃÿ ṃ ï ṉ ḋ ρ l α ÿ ṡ τ ɾ ï с ќ ṡ øṉ ṃε
                                                          xxxxxxxxx❃ ❃ ❃x ïτ αll ќ ε ε ρ ṡ α ḋ ḋ ï ṉ ģ υ ρ
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxx❃ ❃ ❃x ï τ h ï ṉ ќ ï'ṃ с ɾ α с ќ ï ṉ ģ υ ρ

User Image

Name: Elliott Holt
                                                          House: Ravenclaw
                                                          Year: Third
                                                          Blood Status: Pureblood, with a halfblood older brother
                                                          Curriculum: I've heard all the stories, plenty of times, as well as read several dissections of both Beedle the Bard and his critics.
                                                          Something interesting about you: My interest in a subject, I've found, is generally inversely proportional to that of most people I've met. That is, if someone else is bored to tears, I'm probably enraptured.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:20 am
User ImageXXXXXXXXXXUser Image

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Timothy had heard about how good of a class this was from his older sister so seeing that he had last to fully enjoy it made him happy. He saw that there were two people he knew and decided to be somewhat social since Benjamin wasn't joining him in this class and took a seat besides Elliot. He never really got to talk to him a lot, mainly because he didn't talk but also because he was rarely seen outside the library or outside the company of that girl from Gryffindor. Arianna he thinks. He was a little confused about having to fill out a survey but just shrugged and took one before setting down and getting ready to learn. He had just finished filling it out when the professor directed their attention to the board and allowed them time to copy it all down in their notes before she continued on. At her question he thought about it and couldn't think of anything truly interested about the stories before the boy besides him answered. He was honestly a little impressed he knew so much and even made a soft snort at his comment about the Bloxam stories. He had heard of the author but never actually got any of her stories to read, this was probably the reason why.

Name: Timothy Cherri
House: Ravenclaw
Year: Third Year
Blood Status: Halfblood
Curriculum: I've read all of the Bard stories as well as The Brother's Grimm stories and even a little bit of Greek Mythology
Something interesting about you: I'm mute, I like to read pretty much anything, I can use British Sign Language, I'm learning Spanish, and my favorite comic book superhero is Spiderman.

=

Quote:

Smile and grin at the change all around [wearing]
Pick up my guitar and play [Mythology Classroom]
Just like yesterday [Class]
Then I'll get on my knees and pray [Learning]
We don't get fooled again [ooc]
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:03 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

Lesson Closed

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

10 total House Points awarded to Elliott Holt of Ravenclaw House.

Attendance Records
Timothy Cherri

Dylan Burgamy

Elliott Holt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:12 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

Summary:
              spaceEnclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight.

Controversy:
              spaceThis tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

Homework: Write a short essay on the idea of the Fountain and why you think it worked, despite the fact that its waters held no true enchantment.

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

Yukina101
Timothy Cherri

AlphaApex
Dylan Burgamy

Quote:
Elliott Holt

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:14 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ♥ grαчsσn pσwєll ♥
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Third Years
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ This one's always interesting. ❞

thє rαín ís fαllín' σn mч wíndσwpαnєs დ დ დxxx
                                                          вut wє αrє hídíng ín α sαfєr plαcє დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          undєr cσvєrs stαчíng drч αnd wαrm დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          чσu gívє mє fєєlíngs thαt í αdσrє დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Alright, class, today we'll be going over one of Beedle the Bard's most well-known and controversial stories, The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Hopefully you've all read the story; if not, you're going to be a bit behind. The summary is on the board, but it is just a summary, after all, and missing quite a bit of important information." She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "So, growing up, this was one of my favorite stories. It had trials and tribulations, characters with tragic backstories rising above their troubles, romance, and an ending meant to inspire. In spite of being by and large a positive story, it has often been attacked by certain subsets of the magical community. Can anyone guess why?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

xxxდ დ დ ít stαrts ín mч tσєs, mαkєs mє crínklє mч nσsє
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ whєrєvєr ít gσєs, í αlwαчs knσw
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ thαt чσu mαkє mє smílє, plєαsє stαч fσr α whílє
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ just tαkє чσur tímє, whєrєvєr чσu gσ

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:29 pm
There's a shining at the skyline

User Image
Dylan
Burgamy

RavenclawThird Year13 Years OldSingle │ Chaser

Dylan walked into Mythology and took a seat, looking to the board and reading what was up on there. He was slightly familiar with the story, and, if he wasn't, the summary on the board was good enough. He leaned back in his seat, waiting for any other students before raising his hand and speaking. It seemed like an easy answer.

"In my opinion, it reminds me of America in the 60s. Blacks and whites were very much segregated, with whites segregating blacks solely because of their skin color which, in terms of blood types in the wizarding world, relates to certain purebloods who would segregate muggles for not being of magical descent. Going back to the 60s, interracial relationships were looked down upon back then, in certain areas, and the same thought process can be brought into the wizarding world, where certain purebloods may look down upon muggles, and think of a relationship between a witch and a muggle as blasphemous, in a sense." He hoped that he hadn't gone into too much detail, because she may have just been looking for a simple answer.

Quote:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:

And it's twisting,
manifesting into something big.

Deviled Dregs

Wealthy Lunatic

7,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 pm
User ImageXXXXXXXXXXUser Image

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Timothy saw he wasn't the last to arrive this time to class and quickly took a seat and began to take his supplies out to take notes. After learning they would be going over the Beedle and the Bard all year he had gone and borrowed his sister's copy to read before class and had as such had read about the Fountain. He could see where blood fanatics might go a little crazy-crazier really-and since probably back when this was written they were the ones ruling the Ministry and hated this sort of propaganda. When Dylan spoke about the Americas and how people of color were segregated much like wizards and muggles he grew confused. We weren't completed segregated more like legally separated. But his comment about mixed marriages did make sense. He suddenly remembered something trivial he had read about this specific story and tentatively raised his hand. "Didn't someone here at school tried to make this a play?" Timothy asked the professor through his notebook.

Cara MiaKitty

Quote:

Smile and grin at the change all around [wearing]
Pick up my guitar and play [Mythology Classroom]
Just like yesterday [Class]
Then I'll get on my knees and pray [Learning]
We don't get fooled again [ooc]
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff