Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

rainbowxdolliez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 am
i do all that now... o.O except for lead paint... of corse i live in the country where time does not dare to go... XD  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 am
Although I was born in 81, everything except the Nintendo part applies to me. XD; I did have video games, but I didn't sit inside and play them all day. They were reserved for rainy days, or before bed. They're not necessarily a bad thing (huge inspiration for me over the years) just as long as they're in moderation.

My dad made me go-karts. I never actually made them myself. But I had so much fun riding in them, and helping when I was old enough to. XD

I rode my bike everywhere until I was 17, and my older brother (in his mid-thirties now) broke it. I'd get another to just ride around, but... my neighborhood has deteriorated so much in the last 10 years.

My parents were born in the 40's, so they raised me just the same. So that's more than likely why I have the same experiences. smile  

tehrin

MustangDragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:40 am
Shirley_J_Marie
Really loved reading this thread. I was born in 1938. You can believe I remember it all and then some. razz

Yay, I'm not the oldest! I was born in '44, and I remember all of that stuff. Except, it was my brothers who ate worms and mud pies, not me.

They also threw snakes down my blouse. It didn't take me long to get over that, and to this day I am only afraid of poisonous snakes (around here that's copperheads and rattlesnakes). I am fond of black snakes (tree snakes, which are constrictors). They hang out by the barn and catch a lot of mice, so are handy to have around.

I was barefoot most of my childhood into my teens in the summer. Stepped on a bee and got stung a few times, but still wouldn't put on my shoes. Grandma had an outhouse, which scared me cause of the hornets and wasps that hung out there. I learned to do my business quick. She also had a hand operated pump for water, with a bucket of water near it for priming (bucket in the house in winter).

I was a tree climber. I loved to read books, and would tie a rope to a folding kitchen chair, climb up a tall tree and use the rope to haul up the chair. Then I would wedge the chair between a couple of limbs, lean back and read all afternoon while the breeze gently rocked the tree. Ah, good days, those.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 pm
I may have been born in the 80's but for a lot of my childhood I lived in a tiny country town so I did a lot of those things. But I gotta say...kudos to all you who survived the lead paint lol.

It's nice to see people who appreciate stuff like this. I know when my husband and I have kids I'm not letting them inside on sunny days lol.  

RadicalEd

Aged Member

nightfiretn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:51 pm
This definitely brings back fond memories. I have tried to raise my boys the way I was raised and it shows in their personalities.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:29 pm
I was born in 1970. I survived. I am doing well too. I never ate dirt though. Could have something to do with it. rofl  

AngiG1970

AngiG1970

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:37 pm
nightfiretn
This definitely brings back fond memories. I have tried to raise my boys the way I was raised and it shows in their personalities.

Same here. They are all teens now and one is 19 at that. They are respectful and they don't get into trouble and we have taught them life skills. They all know how to drive a boat, drive a tractor, run both push and riding mowers, chop wood, use a chain saw, hunt, fish etc. All four of my kids are boys and they all know how to use the washer, drier, stove, wash dishes, operate a garden tiller, raise animals , work on vehicals, etc etc. These boys will be able to say that they were raised well and had good childhoods and learned something valuable while growing up. Mine were somewhat raised better then I was though. We based their child raising on my husbands childhood.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:50 pm
Born in the early 60s here.

Jeez, I remember summer days going outside in the morning and not coming in until at least 10 minutes after the streetlights came on. "We were so busy, Mom. We forgot." And we usually weren't even lying!! lol.

There were at least a dozen kids in enough of a similar age range to play with at any given time.

We would walk a mile to the nearest shopping center. We would cross the "highway" (3 lanes each way...still kinda big) and go to the 7-11 for Slurpees. We would explore just about anywhere.

I feel so sorry for my (younger) friends now with small kids who are always underfoot and whining for Mom and Dad to keep them amused. Even those friends who control access to the TV and computer and video games are afraid to let their kids go outside. So Mom and Dad become the TV/entertainment machine.

My son was born in 1982. I was 21 and when I think about it now, I'm glad I got that out of the way when I did!! It really was the tail end of the time when your kids could go outside without tethers on them, and before they expected several thousand dollars worth of electronics as their birthright.

I'm not normally one of those "good old days" types, but some things have genuinely gone downhill in our culture and it makes me pretty sad.  

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:52 pm
AngiG1970
I was born in 1970. I survived. I am doing well too. I never ate dirt though. Could have something to do with it. rofl

LOL, I never ate dirt, either. But I made one helluva mud pie. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 pm
Well, remember that our good old Gaia founders came from this era...I think?

Ate the mud pies...shared the soda...and cool music was called ALTERNATIVE and METAL!!!

Emily Victoria Kunzite

Romantic Raider

BuNnyHat3R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 pm
hahaha...that's funny!...My Mom always tells me all that stuff!!.. I was born in 85 and she was born in 62. She blames her dyslexia on her Mom for smoking when she was pregnant with my Mom inside.. lol..I totally deny she has dyslexia...she's perfectly fine! xp and she always played outside and said she didn't remember ever being in the house...lol..I guess the neighborhood kids were raised by the older neighborhood kids. haha...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:10 am
born in 87 and still did all of those thing my mom raised me well ^^  

Jerma

6,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

MysteeDawn

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 am
yeah i think pre-1985 falls into this category.
I was always outside, and also had loads of neighbors kids my age.
Always riding bikes, i had a small private neighborhood, everyone knew, everyone..
Tree house in my yard that all the kids climbed into.
Remember when we could use chalk IN THE STREET and not fear getting run over?
I have all the game systems, but it was usually a rainy day thing. Cause we all know on snowdays, SNOWBALLS FIGHTS, SNOWMAN CONTESTS..
lol..
I hope my nephew gets to have a life like we had.
Fancy free, like, CHILDREN..  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 am
Shirley_J_Marie
Really loved reading this thread. I was born in 1938. You can believe I remember it all and then some. razz

OMG! I just heart it that you are from the same decade as my parents! 3nodding This thread is so cool! cool  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

poetsespresso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:22 am
Both me and my oldest nephew were born in the 70's.
He's married and has a son, I am still looking for the right one.  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff