Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Token guild introduction thread! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm
Hello world!
I'm Mike, and I'm getting back into table-top RPGs after a long break that started a few years ago (I was new then too, and after a couple nooby mistakes and a not-so-noob-friendly GM, I moved on to other RPGs for a few years). That said, I don't have much experience in the table-top genre of gaming and am most familiar with 3.5 D&D.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 am
Good Morning.

My Name is Ashley. I just started getting into D&D and would like to learn how to play. I have been slowly collecting the books. Been listening to the PAX podcasts and watching the PAX games on youtube. I hope to learn and be able to get into a game once I know enough.

~Ashley  

lilwerewolf22

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 pm
Yo, I'm Mr. TNT

I've been rping for nearly half my life. But I've only ever played a few sessions of 3.5 and 4e.

I even managed to get in one sessions of VtM.

So I'd like to get in on a game that I cant stick with and develop for the whole length of the game. Beyond that I'm a lot of fun, though a bit cynical, and very much the smart a**. But I enjoy story telling and I don't let that ruin a group.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:42 am
Hi hi. My name is Abby. ^.^
I have a very vague knowledge of how to play since I played some 3.5 and a little 4 but not enough to have any clue what's going on which is partially why I'm here. To learn how to play better.
Yay interwebs.  

abbyhursty

Destitute Felis catus

15,100 Points
  • Pie Pusher 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Demonic Associate 100

Downlow Otaku

Distinct Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 pm
So erm... Hi, I'm new to D&D, but not new to Roleplay I have nearly 10 years of text based Roleplay experience haha. Started when I Was ten, and now I turn 20 this year.

I live in england, Y'all can call me Drew or Bambi, I dont care. Erm so I Guess I'll look around the guild and see what I can learn biggrin .  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:40 pm
Hello, presumed new friends!
I'm Joseph (online at least); I'd consider roleplaying to my foremost hobby.
After getting my start DMing 3.5, since then I've done my best to be a system polymath; I have the most experience running games in 4e, but a fair amount using FATE, Spirit of The Century, Mutants and Masterminds, and Shadowrun.

As a player I like to attempt creative solutions, and as a DM I encourage them; generally speaking I'm in roleplaying to be surprised.

I'm an improvisor first and foremost, rather than a planner, so I like a systems with sound and balanced rules- a strong backbone to support me so I can worry about responding to the players, encouraging them to be proactive and creative.

Aside from TTRPGs, I'm a compulsive reader, spontaneous singer, sometime video game-player, and all-around nerd. I'm old as my bones, and a little older than my teeth.

I'm mostly here because after dropping out of my previous game due to a combination of scheduling conflicts and general ennui, I've been wanting to roll some dice- hopefully somebody's got something open and recruiting in a 4th-edition kinda way.

Failing that, I'll probably run a game if I can find the players. Forever DM. crying  

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:39 am
I3ambi
So erm... Hi, I'm new to D&D, but not new to Roleplay I have nearly 10 years of text based Roleplay experience haha. Started when I Was ten, and now I turn 20 this year.

I live in england, Y'all can call me Drew or Bambi, I dont care. Erm so I Guess I'll look around the guild and see what I can learn biggrin .

Urge to call you Drambie... rising...

Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons. I've been part of this guild a long time and it spikes in activity, then drops, and back again. It's currently in one of the lull phases, for which I apologize >_<

Maybe everyone's outside enjoying the summer?

Joseph Severn
Hello, presumed new friends!
I'm Joseph (online at least); I'd consider roleplaying to my foremost hobby.
After getting my start DMing 3.5, since then I've done my best to be a system polymath; I have the most experience running games in 4e, but a fair amount using FATE, Spirit of The Century, Mutants and Masterminds, and Shadowrun.

As a player I like to attempt creative solutions, and as a DM I encourage them; generally speaking I'm in roleplaying to be surprised.

I'm an improvisor first and foremost, rather than a planner, so I like a systems with sound and balanced rules- a strong backbone to support me so I can worry about responding to the players, encouraging them to be proactive and creative.

Aside from TTRPGs, I'm a compulsive reader, spontaneous singer, sometime video game-player, and all-around nerd. I'm old as my bones, and a little older than my teeth.

I'm mostly here because after dropping out of my previous game due to a combination of scheduling conflicts and general ennui, I've been wanting to roll some dice- hopefully somebody's got something open and recruiting in a 4th-edition kinda way.

Failing that, I'll probably run a game if I can find the players. Forever DM. crying

Welcome! I was just envisioning a M&M character yesterday, a "temporal archer". Shoots arrows into the future in his downtime, and they reappear to strike targets in combat (3x indirect ranged strike), a trained power passed from master to protege for generations - one of the earliest practitioners attempted to fire an arrow into the past and immediately was erased from the present, so the primary tenant of the temporal archers is "never look back".

This is what I think of rather than focus at work.

But yeah, I think you and I would be an awesome team of players; I've been known to be a creative person. I'd like to think that I'm an out-of-the-box thinker, but that's really not it. I'm impulsive but just really really clever. As such, I'm been known to blindside my GMs and fellow players from time to time. To me, it simply seemed like the reasonable thing for my character to do. *shrugs*

You sound at least a little like-minded in this regard, so I'm REALLY curious what kind of magic we'd make as a team!

If you haven't played it, a game I played I think you might like is called Nobilis (I don't own it myself... yet). The game revolves around a society of "nobles", which are effectively demigods who have their own world but also exist in this one. Often called "Powers", a family of powers serve an Imperator, which is an older, more powerful Power/God with several estates (aspects of reality). Say, an Imperator has domain over Swords, Blasphemy, Tophats, and Huskies, each of the (up to) four Powers who serve an Imperator would have one of these estates.

It's a diceless system, but you have a pool of miracle points that can partially refresh at certain times, and fully refresh at the end of a chapter. You have the following traits, typically between 0-5: Aspect (your ability to act physically or mentally), Domain (your ability to summon and control your estate), Persona (your ability to manifest abstract forms of your estate), and Treasure (powerful tools which give you an edge). Everyone has 5 miracle points to spend in each category (so 5 aspect miracle points, 5 persona miracle points, etc).

There's a chart of 0-9 for each attribute that affects how well something does and what it can typically do. If you have Aspect 1, you are on par with everyone else Aspect 1, better than anyone Aspect 2, but slower weaker and less smart than those with Aspect 2+. However, you can spend Miracle Points for a one-time effect (either one shot or sometimes for a scene; like, running away with higher aspect doesn't mean you run faster for a couple seconds, it means you run faster until you get away or give up trying). Each miracle point is a +1 to the attribute; however, you can only spend them in intervals of 1, 2, 4, or 8 miracle points. You can spend 3 non-relevant miracle points as 1 relevant (so if you wanted +2 to Aspect, you can spend 1 aspect mp, 2 treasure+1persona mp = 2 aspect mp).

Aspect 0 is borderline average human, Aspect 1 is above average human, Aspect 2 is going towards mensa IQ and olympian ability, Aspect 3 starts getting superhuman... Aspect 9 you can probably pick up and throw a mountain at someone. Things get interesting with higher tier Domain and Persona miracles. If you have Aspect 3, you can perform Aspect 0, 1, 2, and 3 miracles for free, but 4+ you need miracle points. Same for the others.

It's a challenge for players and GMs who normally don't think abstractly, but a brilliant piece of work for those that do. I normally don't but I adapted. We met lots of interesting characters, like Sandy, the adrogynous Power of Excess, and an illusionist who was the Power of Perception (rather than create illusions, he destroyed people's perception of what was real). Characters need not physically embody their estate, but it's fun to consider.

You get 25 points to spend at character creation, and each "Rank" of an attribute is 3 points. You can get a flat +1 to each miracle point pool for 1 point, and there's a list of advantages you can buy.

My character was Steve, the Power of Side Quests. He was a fictional character from a book, and his Imperator created him from burning everything BUT him from his story, then renamed him because his true name was too hard to remember. No last name, just "Steve". Aspect 0, Domain 4, Persona 1, Treasure 2, and had the advantages that let him give blessings with a touch, and transform into a unicorn. (No one knew why the unicorn thing happened, since he couldn't do it "before" being ennobled). My fellow player was the Power of Justice, and was a detective!

Anywho, back to other things. I find myself DMing more than playing, for reasons you already suspect; if games are to happen, you kind of have to take the bull by the horns and run them yourself sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:50 am
I can't say I'd mind finding that out myself. :3

Hey, somebody! Run a game for me and my friend here! Do eeet~
Oh god I have so many character sheets that will never see the light of day. gonk

Also, I have, albeit briefly, played Nobilis (I was the Lady of Unowned Spaces, whose dominion is corridors). I still own it, but I honestly don't dust it off too frequently- it has some issues with tonal shifts that are a fast ticket to crazytown. Still, it's a loveable game just for being ambitious and different.

Also: my last M&M character was for a planescape game- he was a former wizard's familiar, a rat, who could briefly increase in size to become hella huge. Basically he was a rodentoid infiltrator who, when caught, would balloon to elephant size and then vanish (back to rat size).  

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:01 am
I've only played in the 3rd edition, so if it's older there would be some differences, from my understanding.

Lord Entropy, Ananda, and Surolam have been discussed. Ha-Qadosch Berakha is still mysterious! And bishi!

I started running Goblins 4e and Settlers 4e to get people posting. Posting died slightly because work got the better of me for about a week and a half to two weeks (I'm filling in for 2 other people; I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I get home every evening). I have a Werewolf game that's still recruiting. We have 1 secured spot (Kytana), 2 players who have cemented their positions with backstories (Mongooseh and Terei). 1 player kind of vanished (Seph) and is being replaced, likely by Paidi. There's 1 more (The Number Three) who is kind of interested but willing to step down because his schedule is more hectic than mine for right now. You could jump in that one, if you don't mind Old World of Darkness werewolf?

I had a couple other games; Jade Legacy and the Destroyer War, both Legends of the Five Rings. The first game has suffered because the party is split into two halves, both important to the storyline, and one half has stopped posting; the other, all my files and maps for it is on my desktop which I'm having trouble getting to work, and I'd be effectively starting from scratch unless I get it working.

I'm considering dropping both and rerunning a L5R game for
Mongooseh

Paidi tou Selini

xX_Terei_Xx

BegrudginglyGood

Because the latter two were waiting for the next chapter of Jade Legacy and were kind of snubbed by the nonposty players, and the first two were involved in that game and wanted to try out new characters, but again, were snubbed. There was Plainsfox too but I think he's taking a sabbatical from the internet, I barely see him anymore? Are you familiar with Legend of the Five Rings at all?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:25 am
I'm not quite sure which edition of Nobilis I have. I hadn't realized they came out with a new one. o.o;

I liked the look of Settlers a lot, I was sad to see it was full. Goblins...I assume that's a single-race game, all goblins?

Werewolf-wise I only have the new edition (Werewolf: the Forsaken) and I'm not any too familiar with that, so I don't know if I'd be able to keep up- my general experience is on the NWoD side.

I've played a couple games of it; I had a tubby Crab courtier with out-of-school talents- he was trained in Kitsuki's method. So, basically, samurai Hercule Poirot.

Also, I do have a game recruiting m'self, so feel free to have yourself a look at that if you want the other side of the table. razz  

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:33 pm
You call yourself a compulsive reader and you're saying you don't know if you'd be able to keep up? Pffft lol. I think rain's the only one who had any experience with the game beforehand, and I've read more than he has already.

Seriously, I want this party full up already.

...Which means I should prob get to working on that damn background. *grumbles* never have this much freaking trouble....

But yeah, totally welcome! I'm Kyt, resident lurker, procrastinator, and nut.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm
Rain Yupa
I had a couple other games; Jade Legacy and the Destroyer War, both Legends of the Five Rings. The first game has suffered because the party is split into two halves, both important to the storyline, and one half has stopped posting; the other, all my files and maps for it is on my desktop which I'm having trouble getting to work, and I'd be effectively starting from scratch unless I get it working.

Mongooseh

Paidi tou Selini

xX_Terei_Xx

BegrudginglyGood

I wasn't going too slow was I? Though I admit I think I missed a couple updates until you pointed them out. That was a large thread, after all.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:04 pm
KytanaTheThief
You call yourself a compulsive reader and you're saying you don't know if you'd be able to keep up? Pffft lol. I think rain's the only one who had any experience with the game beforehand, and I've read more than he has already.

Seriously, I want this party full up already.

...Which means I should prob get to working on that damn background. *grumbles* never have this much freaking trouble....

But yeah, totally welcome! I'm Kyt, resident lurker, procrastinator, and nut.

Mostly it's that I don't have a copy of Apocalyse, so...ayep. Old world of darkness and new don't really share all that much DNA.

Nice to meet you!
You should totally check out my game, I could use a nut. Not so much a lurker/procrastinator, but a nut, sure. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23 pm
WhimsicalXellos
Rain Yupa

Mongooseh

Paidi tou Selini

xX_Terei_Xx

BegrudginglyGood

I wasn't going too slow was I? Though I admit I think I missed a couple updates until you pointed them out. That was a large thread, after all.

Destroyer War was the file-intensive one I can't currently access. That has nothing to do with you guys. I had gone on my vacation, gotten back, GOT hired, moved across the country, and started a new leaf here. However, my desktop didn't handle the drive well, probably because it's over 10 years old. This is completely my blunder, mainly due to circumstances somewhat out of my control.

I can probably fix it, but I've been leaving it alone and using my laptop for now. I got it to boot up and run once, then after shutting down it didn't start up again. I don't know how much it has in her, so the next time I get her to boot up I'm backing everything up. I just need time to do it. Once I save all my important files, THEN we can talk; though I think it's probably grown stale by now anyways, hence why I'm thinking of just ending it.

The biggest worry I have is, "If I replace it with a new L5R game, what do I run for it?" I don't like making a game without something mapped in my head ahead of time. Though that could be better resolved once I know the clan breakdown.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm
Rain Yupa
Destroyer War was the file-intensive one I can't currently access. That has nothing to do with you guys. I had gone on my vacation, gotten back, GOT hired, moved across the country, and started a new leaf here. However, my desktop didn't handle the drive well, probably because it's over 10 years old. This is completely my blunder, mainly due to circumstances somewhat out of my control.

I can probably fix it, but I've been leaving it alone and using my laptop for now. I got it to boot up and run once, then after shutting down it didn't start up again. I don't know how much it has in her, so the next time I get her to boot up I'm backing everything up. I just need time to do it. Once I save all my important files, THEN we can talk; though I think it's probably grown stale by now anyways, hence why I'm thinking of just ending it.

The biggest worry I have is, "If I replace it with a new L5R game, what do I run for it?" I don't like making a game without something mapped in my head ahead of time. Though that could be better resolved once I know the clan breakdown.

Ah, yeah, my desktop is pretty old, too. It's been doing things that worry me intermittently, but there's nothing I can do right now. I'm just about to finish training for my new job, though, so hopefully I can start raking in commission soon.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games