Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D 4e: Secrets of Lidea~~~~~~~~[FILLED] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm
Kowsauni
I'm not sure how to add my animal companion to the my character sheet on mythweavers

Most people use the "Companions and Allies" block just above the "Background" section smile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:48 pm
Sorry about the confusion with the ability scores guys. I have not yet done a thorough check of everyone's sheets. I mainly just looked to make sure everyone had everything filled out, however I will go through and double check the numbers and equipment and everything before we start, and will PM you if I find any issues.

For everyone's reference, I DO prefer point-by or standard array systems, as I feel they are better balanced and leave less to chance (not to mention, it's a lot harder to cheat lol), however if you REALLY want to roll because that's just the way you prefer to do it, that's ok with me, but please let me see your numbers. If you DO roll, the standard method, and the one I expect you to use is roll 4 d6, drop the lowest one for all 6 ability scores.

And to answer your question about background bonuses, Rain: You may chose the bonuses for yourself, so long as they fit your character bio and I approve them (which I almost always will unless you give me something off the wall for your character). If you don't have any preference, I will pick them for you, or alternately, I can give you some suggestions that you can pick from (like I did with Snuff).  

Ziekara

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Rain Yupa
Southern_cross_nemesis
No it is cool, Rain... though question.

Do psionic based characters get four at will powers?

No. You only get 2 (3 if you're human, yay human!) at 1st level. You get another at 3rd level, then you're capped at At-Wills. You start replacing them after that. There's a handy table on p23 for Ardents, p43 for Battleminds, and p81 for Psions.

Thanks, I thought as much, but the psionic Augmentation read confused me alittle.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
Rain Yupa
Southern_cross_nemesis

No. You only get 2 (3 if you're human, yay human!) at 1st level. You get another at 3rd level, then you're capped at At-Wills. You start replacing them after that. There's a handy table on p23 for Ardents, p43 for Battleminds, and p81 for Psions.

Thanks, I thought as much, but the psionic Augmentation read confused me alittle.

Here's a good way to think about Psionic characters:

Here's Jeff, Psion.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jeff here starts off like everyone else does: with two (or three) At-Will powers. HOORAY, JEFF!

BUT, Jeff doesn't get any Encounter powers!

That's okay, Jeff! Your psionic powers have EXTRA ONES!!!

See, each Psionic class gets Power Points. These power points are used to augment abilities, and these augments act like Encounter Powers. So think of augments as replacements for your Encounter powers, hence why you replace At-Wills starting at level 5.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

The_Black_Armed_Death_God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:07 pm
Ok, I rerolled and the sheet should be updated now.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:14 pm

I... I think she meant roll here. But don't quote me on that sweatdrop

@Ziekara: I chose a +2 bonus to Religion and Insight (from Ward of the Temple and Blessed Birth, respectively).  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:19 pm
Dion Necurat
Southern_cross_nemesis
Rain Yupa
Southern_cross_nemesis

Here's a good way to think about Psionic characters:

Here's Jeff, Psion.

Jeff here starts off like everyone else does: with two (or three) At-Will powers. HOORAY, JEFF!

BUT, Jeff doesn't get any Encounter powers!

That's okay, Jeff! Your psionic powers have EXTRA ONES!!!

See, each Psionic class gets Power Points. These power points are used to augment abilities, and these augments act like Encounter Powers. So think of augments as replacements for your Encounter powers, hence why you replace At-Wills starting at level 5.

I don't know why, but I thought you picked two more and those was the only ones you could augment... glad to see I was wrong  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
I don't know why, but I thought you picked two more and those was the only ones you could augment... glad to see I was wrong

Maybe that was a leftover thing from 3rd ed psionics, or something? *doesn't know those rules well enough*

Power points lets you augment your at-will powers and turn them INTO encounter powers! Kind of!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ziekara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:24 pm
Rain Yupa

I... I think she meant roll here. But don't quote me on that sweatdrop

@Ziekara: I chose a +2 bonus to Religion and Insight (from Ward of the Temple and Blessed Birth, respectively).

Fine by me.

And I'm not going to make him reroll again to prove his numbers....for the actual in game stuff, yeah you will definitely be required to show me your rolls, but...call me hopelessly optimistic, but I'm putting you guys above cheating on what you roll for making your characters. Because honestly, it's pretty sad if, with all the bonuses and stuff I'm giving you guys, that you would still feel the need to make up numbers in order to give your character an edge....like I said, maybe that's overly optimistic of me lol. This is why I prefer point-buy lol. *headdesk*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm
You're the boss, boss-lady!

I've always been wary of people bringing in existing characters from other campaigns into my games, because of stat changes. Especially if those characters were used in RL campaigns, because of any certain edges a group might give the character I might not. Allowing a direct transfer with stats, equipment, and/or level will give a character an edge other players wouldn't have.

It's kind of a red flag for me sweatdrop Especially refusal to conform.

I try to balance a player's thirst for power with game balance by various mechanics I've tried. In my Brave New World game, I MAKE them roll their stats, and any player who rolls less than the party average, I give a boost to one stat or two to compensate (that's how my group does it, usually. I tend to roll so poorly though, that they make me reroll every die below a 4 once JUST to balance out my bonuses to something at least in the positives, so I can be competitive with the rest of my group sweatdrop ).

In my Dungeon Crawl Extravaganza game, I think I forced them to do point buy, but at a higher point value (28 or 32, I think).

The only game I was dead-set on regular balance was Coliseum, since players were competing against both monsters and each other, to make it fair.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:42 pm
Also, while's it relevant, Ms. Muffin (I want to call her "Ms. Muffet" crying ) wanted to know if she could opt to roll as well, some time ago. What's your ruling on that?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:42 pm
So what's the group so far?  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 pm
Rain Yupa
You're the boss, boss-lady!

I've always been wary of people bringing in existing characters from other campaigns into my games, because of stat changes. Especially if those characters were used in RL campaigns, because of any certain edges a group might give the character I might not. Allowing a direct transfer with stats, equipment, and/or level will give a character an edge other players wouldn't have.

It's kind of a red flag for me sweatdrop Especially refusal to conform.

I try to balance a player's thirst for power with game balance by various mechanics I've tried. In my Brave New World game, I MAKE them roll their stats, and any player who rolls less than the party average, I give a boost to one stat or two to compensate (that's how my group does it, usually. I tend to roll so poorly though, that they make me reroll every die below a 4 once JUST to balance out my bonuses to something at least in the positives, so I can be competitive with the rest of my group sweatdrop ).

In my Dungeon Crawl Extravaganza game, I think I forced them to do point buy, but at a higher point value (28 or 32, I think).

The only game I was dead-set on regular balance was Coliseum, since players were competing against both monsters and each other, to make it fair.
I'd just like to go on record to say I am conforming.Though I'm talking to Ziekara through PM for that way it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be Uber defensive. Though I do realize it seems I am still be defensive. and I am sorry for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:50 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
So what's the group so far?

First post has an active listing. In addition to the listed character sheets, we're getting a beast companion ranger focused on archery, a... halfing? sorcerer, and I believe an Ardent?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 pm
I'd just like to go on record to say I am conforming.Though I'm talking to Ziekara through PM for that way it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be Uber defensive. Though I do realize it seems I am still be defensive. and I am sorry for that.

See, all you had to say was that she okayed it via PM, and I would have dropped it a page ago razz

Ultimately, I'm trying to save HER time, with her busy weekend plans. I try to avoid doing audits for games that aren't my own, since the DM needs to look at them anyways. I was just seeing what kind of builds people chose for their characters, and I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw your stats.

I need a more stable chair. neutral  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces