Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
Study Area Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

House: Ravenclaw
Wand: Supple and Smooth//11 3/4 inches//Hawthorne//Fairy Hair
Current Age: 12
Blood: The son of a squib and witch from pureblood families
Year at Hogwarts: Second Year
Wearing: Ravenclaw Robes

The type of person that would keep her in line from failing? What does that mean?

David snorted at her explanation that he looked the type to keep her in line from failing. "Must be the long line of Slytherins in the family on both sides," David replied sarcastically, "but I hate to disappoint you I'm not the keep-someone-in-line type. I don't have the patience or loyalty to nag you if you start goofing off. After all, you're the one who is asking the favor from me not the other way around."

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and glanced away and said, "Most of your subjects except potions then. Simple enough as long as it doesn't include flying-only class I'm pretty sure I got pitty-pass out of. But it's a useless class and isn't on the OWLs, anyways." He looked back at her and said, "Well, if you aren't doing anything, sit down. I was re-reading ahead for transfiguration this year. I don't have my notes from last year with me but I at least have the text book. We can go over the basics in Chapter One. How well do you understand the basic formula given in Chapter one? The core curriculum tends to build from that though some people have found ways to circumvent that concept and still perform their spells without any problems."

mrs-lestrange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

"My grandfather was sorted into Gryffindor and grandmother was sorted into Ravenclaw. Then the rest of my family went to Durmstrang or Beauxbaton's, I am the third person in my whole family to go Hogwarts" Valentina said as she took a seat next to David. "yes I understand some of the basics. That is probably as far as I got on the train before it arrived in Hodgesmead." she said  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

I didn't really need a life history... well, I guess the best way to see how much of the basics she understands is to actually quiz her.

"You understand the basics, hmm? That is vague at best," David said. "Really doesn't help me much." He sighed and pulled out a piece of parchment and wrote out the equation listed in chapter one of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration which was used conveniently in first and second year of Transfiguration. In exact handwriting he wrote:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Glancing up he said as he passed her the parchment, "I'm going easy on you since it is fairly early in the year. Which of the variables do you remember and can explain? Obviously, I would say it would have been ideal to have had the equation memorized along with all the variables memorized by now as this equation is brought up almost in every chapter when explaining any transfiguration spell in the book, but a little catch up at this point isn't impossible."

He handed her his quill and said probably with the first genuine smile-probably because he was sort of reminded of helping his sister with her math homework and she had always been a good student and it was one of the things they could easily bond over- he said, "Just write down what you remember. Think of this more as a diagnostic quiz of sorts so I know where to begin and what to focus on. We can start worrying about wrong answers or you not knowing much maybe next week or the week after." Then he added still smiling but with a bit of a threat in his eyes, "Okay, definitely the week after." Academics and studying weren't something he took lightly.

mrs-lestrange

{OOC: The book he's referencing is here and the equation is in Chapter 1, Valentina can know as little or as much from there as you want her to, to fit your needs.}  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

t= end result. Most Transfiguration spell difficulties range from basic, somewhat basic, intermediate, somewhat difficult, difficult, expert
a= caster must be heavier than the object being transformed
v= mild, medium-mild, medium, medium-strong, strong, extreme
w= any, medium, strong
c= fair, moderate, complete
Z= well-spoken, perfectly-spoken - and - as clear as possible, completely clear
Valentina wrote down what she would remember. "That is the only part I remember." she said  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

Okay, maybe this won't be quite so hard... then again if she gets potions the formula approach to Transfiguration might not be that hard for her.

He watched as she wrote out the answers to the variables, it was very close to what the book had outlined. She could have mentioned what the variables meant for example w was wand power and c was concentration but she actually had the harder part down which was the details. He took the parchment and his quill from her, dipped his quill in the ink bottle and quickly wrote out in addition:

t is transformation
a is bodyweight
v is viciousness
w is wand power
c is concentration
Z is spell incantation

"You actually already got the details of all the variables, remembering what exactly each variable is, and how they are arranged in the formula is the easy part," David answered. "Get everything there- the formula, what you already remember, and my additions- and you have essentially the first lecture of Transfiguration I down and a solid foundation to work from for the rest of your time at Hogwarts. I'm guessing STEM subjects would be your strength if you were taking muggle subjects-that is science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to remember the finer details so well but forget the more simple memorization part that I just listed."

The only reason he bothered explaining the abbreviation that so many muggles used to talk about the grouping of subjects was from the sounds of it Valentina hadn't really had a muggle raising background-and at this point the term was only really thrown out there for kids who went to more posh muggle schools as children. He supposed his mention might bring up question to his knowledge of obscure muggle terminology since he had admitted he had come from a long line of Slytherins on both sides of his family.

"Anyways," he said, "you probably have an advantage on me in that I'm decent at retaining what I read and I just happen to be diligent in studying. What else do you want to go over? Judging by what you did remember actually applying the equation shouldn't be too difficult for you, but we can work a theoretical example with the match to needle spell or Acusignis which should be one of the first spells you practice in the class."

He raised a brow, "Or we could go over another subject? Whatever you feel is most problematic... I would hope not to need the book to go over any of last year's subjects at this point. Hell, I've read the content for first year enough times... I probably could tell you exactly what page half of first year's topics are on. Not that remembering that is something that will really help you pass your classes." He was obviously on a roll now that he started-and it didn't look like the thought even crossed his mind to ease up any time soon. Valentina might not have realized it, but she had basically fed his inner monster, instead of just focusing all his energy on getting perfect grades for himself, he had another academic project on his plate which he seemed fairly delighted with, especially after seeing what she had written on the parchment-because honestly how she first introduced herself, he hadn't expected much-now he saw someone he could drill knowledge into who actually had the potential to not completely waste his time in working with.

mrs-lestrange

{OOC: long post... oh dear... may I introduce David in tutoring-academic-study mode...}  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

"Muggle subjects? I am very sorry I don't know what you mean by muggle subjects?" She said "Potions I am good at. Defence Against he dark Arts maybe?" She suggested. as David was talking Valentina was getting distracted by David's beautiful coloured eyes.  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

Is she even paying attention.

"Oh, for the love of God," David muttered when Valentina asked about muggle subjects, "in third year please sign up for Muggle Studies. Even purebloods should know some basics about muggles. Hell, the class should be a requirement for anyone who isn't muggleborn or half-blood." Of course, he wasn't exactly sure if making the class a requirement like he suggested would mean he would have to take the class, too. He supposed if he did, it would be an easy O.

He narrowed his eyes at Valentina as she seemed to roughly try to think of subjects she was decent at. Potions. Yes, she had said she didn't need help in that. Defense Against the Dark Arts, maybe? What did that mean? He looked a bit annoyed as he watched her-she only seemed to be half paying attention. How could someone be distracted, already? Annoyed he snapped his fingers in front of her face and said, "Oye, are you even paying attention, Miss La Russa?"

"Did you get the few things you missed with the the equation in Chapter One of the Transfiguration textbook that will be your building blocks for everything else in the subject?" He said, pointing at the notes he added on the parchment. "And what else do you want to go over? And for the sake of my sanity and the betterment of society and a the world as a whole you are taking Muggle Studies as an elective come your third year. If you don't flunk out your first or second year that is. And you will if you don't pay attention." He added the last two sentences with an annoyed roll of his eyes.
mrs-lestrange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

"I do some things about muggles." Valentina said. "I am paying attention. I was just thinking. What other subjects does first years take. I hear History of Magic is that boring you fall asleep in it." She said. "I will have to wait till I see how I do this year and next. If I do good would you still help me?" Valentina asked.  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 am
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

Just thinking about WHAT?

"Have you even looked at your schedule?" David sighed. "I mean you did at least have to buy your textbooks ahead of time... there is Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Flying, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, and Transfiguration. All are required classes. Flying won't be on your OWLs and is only useful to get your flying certificate and if you are interested in pursuing quidditch-don't-and is essentially a useless skill to have once you learn apparition."

"You said Potions you don't need help with, but I'll want to see an example of your work sometime early in the year to make sure you accurately are assessing yourself. Transfiguration, I'm sure you'll understand with some basic understanding and only a little effort. Defense Against the Dark Arts if you are good at the spells great... if you have trouble memorizing something come to me. For application there is the dueling club, I suppose. You can't join as a first year but you can at least watch so that might help if you run into a road block there. Flying-who cares about that class? But if you want help in that pretty much ask anyone else but me in the school."

He took a deep breath and began a mini-rant on, "Herbology, first year consists of two topics. The first one is spiky bushes which are technically poisonous and have a defense mechanism but if you memorize how to work around that and if you do have to work with them-which is highly unlikely-having a steady hand will win you any points you may have lost. Umbrella Bushes are basically giant flower-y looking plants that most people think smell nice. Essentially bizarre looking tulips. That class is simple and also I remember last year the professor had us waste time by not giving us reading outside of class and just had us read a chapter on class. I was irked I had shown up that day to tell you the truth. The thing is herbology is actually useful for things like potion making and healing which meant I was looking forward to it but last year it was more of the professor coddling us like six year-olds. That should make the class easier for you, though."

"History of Magic is purely memorization. Truth be told I'm not particularly fond of the subject of history myself. What has been done has been done, but it is a class only of memorization, so you actually don't have to think or analyze things too much. Or at least you don't in first year. There are three main topics, memorize the important details about the History of Hogwarts-particularly the Founders and the Founding, the Second Wizarding World with Harry Potter's battle at Hogwarts, the few dates connected to each, and throw in a couple of the names of the founder's relics and you'll be great there. Chamber of Secrets-basically Salazar Slytherin is a racist a*****e who hates anyone who isn't a pureblood, throws a temper tantrum, before he leaves makes this giant chamber that holds a basilisk that when the next 'true heir of Slytherin'-basically a parsalmouth- shows up can control. First time it was opened it was by a student called Tom Riddle who became the fallen Dark Lord. Second time same guy took control of another student, Harry Potter saves the day and kills the basilisk, which creepily enough, I think is still rotting somewhere under the castle. Oh and then there is the History of Brooms we went over but to tell you the truth I kind of zoned out mostly in that so when you get to that topic I'll probably have to re-read the material and go over my notes too. That's end of the year, material, though."

"Charms, is something I feel pressured to have to be absolutely perfect in, and I am fairly decent in normally, both thanks to my Mum. I mean she is the Head of the Obliviator Office, it would look kind of bad if her son couldn't perform well in charms when that office specializes in charm-work and muggle relations of sorts," David said with a wry smile. "I can help you in charms, easily."

"And Astronomy being notoriously more boring than History of Magic, having way more memorization, and tends to have more kids falling asleep in it," David answered, "Is mostly just memorization, like I said. I think more people drop that class after their OWLs when they can then History of Magic. So, fear the boring-ness of Astronomy more. Unless you think the lectures and memorization is worth the occasional chance to look at celestial displays in a highly structured environment."

He yawned slightly realizing he had just essentially summarized all of first year and given a rough study plan to the first year after already spending at least two hours obsessively studying for his own classes. He hadn't talked that much in what seemed like forever. At least it was something like academics which was a fairly safe subject for him. And, it actually didn't matter if he sounded like a know-it-all or a bit snotty when it came to academics, because Valentina was asking for a tutor-essentially that was what she was asking for.

He smiled and said, "So, I guess your answer is yes, I'll help you. And I'll continue to help you if you show you are making an adequate attempt to learn everything-to at least an acceptable level in all the classes I work with you on. Though I generally expect at least E level performance. And, as a condition of the tutoring arrangement if you survive your first two years academically at Hogwarts, when signing up for academic electives comes you are signing up for Muggle Studies. God, I wonder if you could even mention what was the flame that actually started WWI, or explain the whole point of the Cold War, or order a pizza online, or even say operate a dishwasher... I suppose if I am wrong about those four points than I won't force the issue about Muggle Studies..."

He let out a short laugh, "I guess the better question is do you seriously want to work with me? Obviously, I'm an absolute tyrant when it comes to studying and grades, but I'd like to consider myself a half-way reasonable tyrant all things considered." He shrugged, "It is up to you Miss La Russa."

mrs-lestrange

{OOC: And an entire rough review, from David's eyes of every class in First Year, oh dear... I think he's zoned himself out at one point, well he's been pulled out in the end I guess...}  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:27 am
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

"I do want help." She said "I haven't got my timetable yet." she said "Its getting late I think I should head to bed now." Valentina carried on talking. "I will let you know subjects i will need help with once they start up is probably a better idea." She said "Dark Lord He killed one of my family and then got that snake of his to depose of his body. " Valentna said. 'Although I have been told some former death eaters I have the will power to be as strong as he once was."  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:05 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

"I think the correct term for him is Voldemort or You-Know-Who or Who-Must-Not-Be -Names," David answered, dryly. "The title of 'Dark Lord' that hangs around is more of a Death Eater title, I'd say most who use the title at this point do it out of ignorance or because it was an unfortunate vernacular trait we picked up. And what got the monster so far was not just will power, but his intelligence, charisma, and ability to manipulate ignorance and hatred and dogma that has rotted wizarding society for centuries. He was the wizard's Hitler... though Adolf Hitler more or less killed more people indirectly, I believe."

"Regardless, I'm not particularly fond of history-muggle or wizarding-as what has been done has been done. I just know it because it is easy to remember," David sighed, holding out the notes the two of them had made about the transfiguration equation. "Well, if I'm not in class I'm either spending mealtime in the dining hall, or in the library if it isn't after curfew. I'm fairly easy to find. Or you could make my life easier and we set up regular dates-or at least a next date- for future tutoring. It doesn't have to be in the library if you don't want. There are empty classrooms you can use for things of that sort, too. And, you won't have to worry about disturbing others as much and can get permission from a professor ahead of time to practice spells in an empty classroom for academic purposes-though I'm sure if it was forgotten to be mentioned and you were caught practicing something like lumos for academic reasons it is unlikely you would lose more than a few points at worse."

"Don't forget your notes and to write down all your assignments with their due dates in the notebook I gave you," He said, pulling out a notebook that listed what looked like only assignments and study notes and their due dates. "Now, do you want to set up our next meeting, now, or not?"

mrs-lestrange

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

'Shall we see how my first day goes first before we set another time?" Vallentina said "I do not mind when we do. I would want to see how it goes before we decided to do anything else" she said "So we could even have it outside when its sunny?"she asked.  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:42 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

"Can you focus on what your studying and not be distracted?" David said dryly. "If you can, yeah, sure, whatever. The place really doesn't matter all that much as long as you can focus."

"Good luck on your first day, I guess, it's mostly just 'name, house, some interesting fact about yourself' anyways," David said. "Watch out if you have herbology though, she likes to spring 'say your favorite thing and least favorite thing about yourself' and I really think she honestly expects everyone to answer the question completely honestly and that they do. It's sort of intrusive. None the less she hasn't caught on from what I could tell last year."

"Good night, Miss La Russa." He glanced at his watch and realized that there was about an hour left before the library closed, and with a sigh he flipped to the next chapter in his Transfiguration textbook. Maybe he'd leave the library and go to bed a bit earlier tonight.

mrs-lestrange

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:02 pm
Valentina La Russa
First year Gryffindor

"Good night Mr League." Valentina said. "I can be focus on my work and not get distracted" She carried on talking "There isn't to much to know about me. Short tempered, come from a Italian background and yeh so really nothing." She said "Favourite thing about myself would be my love of good Italian food and the least would be being the youngest of 5 siblings." She said as got up to leave and go to bed. "I will talk to you tomorrow." swishing her red hair out of her eyes.  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

Tomorrow?

David glanced up from his textbook as Valentina chattered a goodbye and decided to call him 'Mr. League' it was annoying, as it merely reminded him of his family line. At least he didn't feel like his father being called by his last name-since his father was very particular to add the doctorate distinction to his name. David let out a sigh as she promised to be able to focus on her work and not get distracted and then proceeded to give a short bio about herself.

"I was only saying what the professors would likely ask, not what I wanted to know,"
David answered with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I agreed to help you with any subjects you were having problems with-I don't see how any of that will help me help you do better in your coursework..." He said forcing a small smile and shaking his head and waving her off, before he returned to his own studying. As she left he heard her promise to talk to him tomorrow and he let out a long sigh... she had to be joking, right? She'd have one or two classes tops tomorrow? What would she need to see him tomorrow for? Did she expect him to tutor her everyday or something. Good lord, what did I get myself into... he thought with a feeling of worry.

mrs-lestrange

The Library

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games