Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Nuala

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:19 am
Like I said: Doctor Who isn't Sex and the City. Nor should a writer attempt to make it such.

And Sarah Jane was a companion to the third and fourth Doctors.

I'm also hearing talk that the K-9 spin-off isn't going to be produced by the BBC and isn't going to be regarded as canon. But I need to do some more looking around to confirm that.  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:52 am
Nuala
Like I said: Doctor Who isn't Sex and the City. Nor should a writer attempt to make it such.

And Sarah Jane was a companion to the third and fourth Doctors.

I'm also hearing talk that the K-9 spin-off isn't going to be produced by the BBC and isn't going to be regarded as canon. But I need to do some more looking around to confirm that.

I heard the word Disney muttered somewhere, but I could have been hallucinating.

Loved that episode, nice to see K9 again - and, more to the point, nice to see the Doctor's ecstatic reaction to seeing him again. Aww, bless! Once more, some nice one-liners about.

A perennial grumble is that we don't get 3 half hour episodes (or whatever we used to get - was it 3 or 4??), but that's never going to change, so I'll have to live with the lack of cliffhangers.

Overall, very nice, very pleased smile

DW  

Warnersister

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 am
jellysundae
i didn't recognise her, which Dr was she the assistant to then?
i assume i must have seen her as a child if she was around when K-9 was, but i just wasn't of the age when i took much notice of the assistants rolleyes

She was with the third and fourth doctors. More here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Jane_Smith  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:37 am
thinking back to the numerous trailers aired for last weeks show, i think it's a shame that they showed the K-9 clip, i know they did it to reel people in, but it would have been so much nicer for the viewer if seeing K-9 was as much of a suprise for us as it was for the Dr.

i haven't heard anything about a spinoff series, and what are they thinking anyway??
these things always flop majestically, and didn't they try it once before? you think they'd have learnt their lesson..  

jellysundae

jellysundae

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:40 am
another enjoyable episode this week, Dr.Who is definitely more FUN than it used to be, moving with the times as all re-vamped programmes should, and next week we get to see his grapple with some old adversaries blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:36 pm
This week's episode was my favourite so far in this series. [spoilers] Definitely my kind of time travel, with the windows into different years through fireplaces, mirrors, etc., and the mixture of old and modern/future technology - clockwork robots, fabulous! Set in Versailles, with Madame de Pompadour and Tick Tocks from the 51st century... I couldn't have asked for more! Some good one-liners, lots of fun, lots of action, but also quite poignant and moving regarding the eternal loneliness of the Timelord, as he finally stood alone in his Tardis... cry Next week - CyberMen! xd [/spoilers]  

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Nuala

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:00 am
On The Girl in the Fireplace - which I could've talked about for considerably longer than I actually did:

Begin:

We're back in the past with Stephen Moffat at the exact same point as last series, and it all comes back to dancing and bananas. Again, I get a strange sense of deja vu.

Lovely use of the classic childhood fear motifs in the first timeslip: darkness, clowns, not hanging anything over the edge of the bed because you don't know what's under there... I wonder how many of the younger viewers got a good night's sleep on Saturday night. smile

As with last week, on an emotional level, this packed a wallop - in fact, moreso after last week, because the episode seemed to be a microcosm for everything that last week discussed.

For a while we as an audience were looking at human life as the Doctor sees it: just a brief flicker, after which he just has to pick himself up and amble off again.

Reinette made a good foil for the Doctor, with the amount of sophistication that Rose and Mickey generally lack and that it's easy to imagine a character with his experiences being drawn to.

As a character, she was largely underplayed, but it made a change to see the Doctor dealing with a woman with enough confidence and intellect to pose a challenge.

In that respect, seeing her secretly lusting for decades after an "imaginary friend" who she's seen a number of times she could count on her fingers just didn't make sense, and yet again a two-parter might've made more sense, even if would've diluted the Brief Encounter vibe.

Perhaps it was because of the genuine chemistry between David Tennant and Sophia Myles, but the emotions came across as something easy to empathise with. I suppose you could look at it as a couple of different types of nobility: the Doctor's being the classical approach with the white charger and Reinette's being the willingness to show him the fireplace again after - having visited his time - she realises that he doesn't belong in hers, and when she knows that she may never see him again. Classic stuff.

I wanted to believe in the romantic elements - but the fact is that watching the Doctor apparently lose his head on an infatuation level over a woman we see him find and lose in forty-five minutes just seemed odd.

Given his reaction to the revelation of who the strange woman who'd just kissed him was, I couldn't help getting a sense that if the Doctor has a bedroom squirreled away somewhere on the TARDIS, it's had at least one portrait of Reinette in it somewhere for years.

He came across as such a drooling fanboy initially that it's possible to wonder if she's a woman he's admired for years, and if he was able to slide into a relationship with this idealised figure from the history books that he's had time to create in his head as much as the pretty trinket actually in front of him - the ultimate bit of memoribilia collection, if you will.

As much as I can't fault "Arthur" on his permformance and I do appreciate what the writers said later about a horse wandering around a space station being a random element to keep people's attention, the part of me that likes a tight story can't help resenting shoving the completely random element of a horse onto a space station apparently just to let the Doctor do his knight errant routine in the grand confrontation, and give Moffat that big scene he threw such a hissy fit about.

And that's the one part of the story that I really do want to see consequences for, because I can't square it very easily: the Doctor was willing to leave Rose, Mickey, the TARDIS and his entire life, and trap himself on that "slow path" that he just said last week scares him so much that he tends to throw humans away before they get a chance to lose their lustre.

And all for just one of the "stupid apes".

(I want to imagine the few missing seconds between the Doctor debating how to save the day and finally crashing through the mirror involving the Doctor reminding Rose how to take the TARDIS home and giving her a few assorted instructions; but that's just me.)

The personality may be different; but this is still the character who's spared entire species on occasion for nothing other than the benefit of future generations, and he seemed purely focused on either his usual fascination with "beautiful" new things, or just plain lust.

It is more plausible to see him flitting between humans because he seems to treat them like curiosities or pets - but to give everything up like that just doesn't seem to work with what we know, even with all of the soul-searching that's been going on since this series started.

What I can't decide is whether or not this is adding a layer of complication to the character and something that's going to come back later, or just plain sloppy writing.

(And the closest we get to a Torchwood reference is a mention of the 51st century. I can live with that. smile )

End  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:14 am
Wow, that's one heck of a summary smile I don't think I've anything to add to it, so just a summary of my favourite bits:

So what's ticking?
You're not keeping the horse! But I let you keep Mickey!
We did not have the parts

And no Torchwood refs, hallelujah!

DW  

Warnersister

Nuala

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 am
Warnersister
Wow, that's one heck of a summary smile I don't think I've anything to add to it, so just a summary of my favourite bits:

So what's ticking?
You're not keeping the horse! But I let you keep Mickey!
We did not have the parts

And no Torchwood refs, hallelujah!

DW

Other than one Jack reference if you turned your head sideways and squinted slightly. smile

Although I have a more general question.

Begin:

A friend of mine reckons that he's seen that sort of plot (the clockwork robots' reason for the whole thing, rather than the specifics) used in either a book, movie or series before, is at a loss as to where and is asking for help with remembering. I had the same feeling, and it's irking me that I can't bring anything to mind enough to remember titles.

End  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:32 pm
Not getting to see all these episodes yet is killing me! But that's for the spoilers anyway, I'm loving them. biggrin  

CosmicHedgehog

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:00 pm
Thanks for discussing this stuff! I'm dying to see some Tennant stuff.

Oh, and as for the K-9 spin off not heing canon - I really, really hate canon. I think it can really choke the life out of a series (particularly a fantasy spin-off series) if you gotta glue yourself to the "continuity."

The spin-off is about an interesting or entertaining character or premise from the core series, so why can't it go in it's own direction? Any references to the original series can just pop in there to be to spice things up or as an in-joke to those who liked the original.

So, anyway, if I get to see the k-9 spin off, I'm not gonna be too disapointed if things don't match the rest of Dr. Who. That's really more fun.  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:10 am
Cybermen: domokun

Me: eek gonk

It was a truly dark, scary episode... I can't wait for the second part next week!  

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

jellysundae

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:04 am
i missed this week's episode as i was watching X-men, just saw the very end...DELETE..DELETE..DELETE.. eek
but i shall be able to catch up next week xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am
I imagine I'm not alone in screaming about the FA Cup Final... I know Nuala joined me in this. Dratted football overrunning by 20 minutes and ruining my attempt at videoing the episode. Thank heavens for BBC 3.

Poor TARDIS! Poor old girl...

Ricky!

I will never listen to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in quite the same way ever again...

DW

PS I met Sophie Aldred and Colin Baker this weekend biggrin  

Warnersister

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:29 pm
This week's episode was definately a bit more dark than I've ever seen Dr Who become before. I mean wow. And yeah, that song has a very different effect on me these days also.

I guess occasionally there can be a traditional Dr Who cliff hanger ending after all. smile Waiting for the rest...  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games