Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Them darn kids now'days Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kids today?
Better?
10%
 10%  [ 30 ]
Worse?
43%
 43%  [ 127 ]
Kids in my day....
12%
 12%  [ 36 ]
Is there soup today?
15%
 15%  [ 45 ]
Wanders off......
19%
 19%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 294

Naoe_88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:59 pm
Eirwyn
Gift wrapper tubes are better. Especially put near unsuspecting people's ears. mrgreen

lol
i'll remember that ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:07 pm
Hello!
I'm 16..? Aww, just wanted to come by.
I really like the idea of this thread.
=]

Cat Shades

Hunter

Rinniee

Beloved Cutie-Pie

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:16 pm
User ImageUser Image

]Love comes at so many prices...[

★★★

Ha, it's so cute to watch the grown folks rant here. *_*
I'm just a little high school student, wandering here to hear the grown folks rant. It's cute!

Love, Chie-chan ★★★

[...so give it all you've got!]

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 pm
x x Chieko I I Kawabe x x
User ImageUser Image

]Love comes at so many prices...[

★★★

Ha, it's so cute to watch the grown folks rant here. *_*
I'm just a little high school student, wandering here to hear the grown folks rant. It's cute!

Love, Chie-chan ★★★

[...so give it all you've got!]

User Image

Hi..!
Yeah,it's fun..
the first pages are entertaining..o.o;

Cat Shades

Hunter

Rinniee

Beloved Cutie-Pie

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:28 pm
Malheureux
Black and White
(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,
Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
Pull a chair up to the TV set,
'Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs
and spread mayo on the same cutting
board with the same knife and no
bleach, but we didn't seem to get food
poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on
the counter AND I used to eat it raw
sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches
were wrapped in wax paper in a brown
paper bag, not in ice-pack coolers, but I
can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone
swimming in the lake instead of a
pristine pool (talk about boring), no
beach closures then.
The term cell phone would have
conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a
pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE .. and risked
permanent injury with a pair of high top
Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of
having cros s-training athletic shoes with
air cushion soles and built in light
reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but
they must have happened because they
tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option even for
stupid kids! I guess PE must be much
harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers
and sang the national anthem, and
staying in detention after school caught
all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged
psyches. What an archaic health system
we had then. Remember school nurses?
Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to
accomplish something before I was
allowed to be proud of myself.
I just can't recall how bored we were
without computers, Play Station,
Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV
cable stations.

Oh yeah .. and where was the Benadryl
and sterilization kit when I got that bee
sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of
gravel left on vacant construction sites,
and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out
the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome
(kids liked it better because it didn't
sting like iodine did) and then we got
our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room,
followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle
of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the
attorney to sue the contractor for
leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel
where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house
either because if we did, we got our butt
spanked there and then we got butt
spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door
coming over and doing his tricks on the
front stoop, just before he fell off. Little
did his Mom know that she could have
owned our house. Instead, she picked
him up and swatted him for being such a
goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew
had ever been told that they were from a
dysfunctional family. How could we
possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and
anger management classes? We were
obviously so duped by so many societal
ills that we didn't even notice that the
entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED
THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T;
SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I
WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING.

Hey! I'm young and I shared some of those memories, too.
I used to play King of the Hill when I was young. My mom and I played it when it snowed big piles! And instead of playing PlayStation, my first gaming system was the '85 Nintendo Entertainment Center (NES Core). And for the scrapes and stuff, my mom is very old-fashion so she just puts peroxide on it and calls it a day. I still get spankings and I act very polite at my neighbor's and to any adult I come across. I still call PE gym and I have trouble saying anything else. And around here, really, we're only required to wear tennis shoes, nothing special, and no uniform for class either. My school has always had a school nurse...
I swim in lakes too. It's not illegal, is it? I find it fun.

Wow, even though I'm just 14, I never knew how old fashioned even I am. *_*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:57 pm
Oh my goodness. Reading this makes me fell like I was born in the wrong era. Or rather a older person with a young persons body.

I'm 16, and I was so mad today at the kids in my class disrespecting my teacher. We were having a Pop-quiz, and no one would shut-up except for me and my best friend. I kept telling my mum, and my teacher how unfair it was. My teacher should have given them zeros, or kicked them out or something, because I really do need silence to concentrate. Sitting in that class always makes me wish teachers were still able to paddle their students. Reading all this made me smile and laugh, it made me feel better.

I wear dresses to school every day, I don't wear pants unless I'm exercising. I'm always polite, nice, and friendly. I also understand that elders, and even other people are to be respected, even if you don't like them. I love hearing about stories when old people were young, it was so different! I just think it's so interesting, and they can teach us mistakes they made, so that we don't make them. I've learned a lot by just listening to older people tell me a little bit about their younger-years.

I could live without the computer, but it is very nice. ♥ Plus in todays world, I don't think I'd be able to get a decent job later-on if I wasn't computer savvy. There's just no avoiding it anymore. I don't like using the microwave for much, just pop-corn or the rare microwave dinners. I love using the toaster oven though. Mmm.

I am so spoiled. No walking to school for 25 miles uphill in the snow for me! mrgreen I've got a nice air conditioned bus. ♥ I don't have a cell phone of my own, (and I don't want one right now, though I'll want one in college) but I do have a cordless home phone, with caller ID, call waiting, and five fancy ringers! I wake-up every morning to my favorite music (Blackmore's Night at the moment) with my radio/CD clock, no blasting annoying beeping/ringing for me! ^^

Much love for the old people! heart XD Meant lovingly of course.  

Aurora Rosewind

Rinniee

Beloved Cutie-Pie

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 pm
Nodijo
I remember when you were taught 'respect' and a thing called "manners"....excuse me not just for bodily functions, but also for walking between two or more people having a conversation-or in front of someone, or if you needed to get by someone-, please, thank you and may I be excused were standard and appreciated everytime I stayed the night at my friends' houses, also my mom brags because she had six of us and could take us into a store of glassware and never worry about something getting broken because we knew better than to touch anything, yes it came from getting spanked, but nothing EVER got broken in a store or when visiting someone so my parents never had to replace something-especially hard to do if it is a keepsake, NO you don't necessarily HAVE to put things up, kids need to know and be taught if it isn't yours leave it alone and keeping things out of reach is not teaching them it just means they can't 'reach' it, my kids learned just like I was taught and they are teaching their kids and my grandkids are getting better now about what they can play with and what they cannot.

Haha. :] My mother taught me the same thing. I talk like I'm a grown folk, but I know not to touch anything 'less I'm buying it. I'm actually scared of my friends' parents, so I could never be rude to them...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:09 pm
Velouria Dragoon
Harbone
I remember when pop music was exciting.

Kids these days wouldn't survive two minutes in a mosh pit!

I went out dancing, the other day (for a given value of other day) and I almost fell asleep on the dance floor.

In my day, we played out music loud and hard! And violently!

And punk! You call that punk! Some of those guys can actually sing, that ain't punk!
Hell Yeah, punk rock is supposed to sound bad. Isn't that the whole point? These guys don't get it. And Emo? What's Emo... Why in my day a guy could be moody and dark without lables being put on them. Some of the groups I listened to were the fore runners of Emo. These kids today don't even know what emo is...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha the assumptions are FUNNY  

hateyousomuch tom

Erin Sovenya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm
Society today...
when I was a kid, we rode in the back of pickup trucks, and seat belts were optional.
If you got injured and dad couldn't tell something was broken, you had to tough it up.
And you didn't miss school unless you had a fever or were throwing up.
If you did something stupid, you got spanked and grounded, end of discussion.
Please, thank you, excuse me, god bless you, etc. were said to every adult, be it your parent or a complete stranger you passed on the street.
You held the door open for the people behind you and offered your seat to adults.
Computers were huge affairs with tons of floppy disks per program and you started from C:/. (GUI was fascinating and high-tech, and Oregon Trail was the coolest thing since sliced bread)
The top-of-the-line video game system was the Gameboy, and we marvelled at the graphics and gameplay
People spelled out all of their words, punctuation included. wuzznt nun uv dis chtspek stuf, lol (I can't even do it)

This is especially sad because I'm not that old (21 - barely old enough to be a geezer), yet no one gets my pop culture references anymore. I mentioned the Safety Dance to the kids I teach and none of them knew what it was (or Spice Girls, or the TMNT theme song)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:44 pm
simlizzy
alleira
- my childhood is in a museum gonk !

and more and more of mine is turning up in antique stores and books on collectibles rolleyes

omg! this is epic xd xd xd  

dark ely

Brainded

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm
lumi aubrylle
well if anyone's interested I found info on cookie monster, my daughter seems to have exaggerated a bit, darn kids. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/219386_nocookie.html

have you ever mentioned something only to be asked . who or what in the world are you talkin about by the young'uns. I was talking about eating your spinach to be strong like Popeye & my kids are like "Who is Popeye?". Man I feel old. rolleyes

I love Popeye. (Although I hate spinach) My dad never turns off boomerang (Now's there's a channel for REAL cartoons) and I absorb hours of Tom and JErry and Yogi Bear  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm
Wow. D:  

Jeeed

Gaian

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm
Naoe_88
xinawarrior123
Naoe_88
Eirwyn
Lest y'all forget what was in the first post:
This is FOR FUN. Like, a modern-day version of the old "I had to walk twenty miles to school barefoot in ten feet of snow!" complaints.
OK? mrgreen

lol. it's not modern if ppl have been doing it for a while, i know i have mrgreen

hmm...does anyone know of or remeber or still play wall ball/roll ball?
that was played in many schools some 5 or 6 yrs ago....i just wanna know if it's become one of those, "i remember back in the day" kinda things now

Yeah! I called it butt's up when I first learned from my big sis. ^_^ but nowadays the big thing that's the closest to it is called handball. Except its really far from what you see in the olympics.

lol. butts up...funny name XD, i guess it's officially in the " what the heck is that?" pile ^_^

well, the one im referring too was pretty violent at times. back in middle school most girls weren't allowed or didn't play because the boys would start real fights if their sisters or girlfriends got hurt by someone, but it was fun non the less xd
that and "deathball"........10 soccer balls.....200 kids in a court yard....and everyones a target twisted (muah hahahaha!).......what?! we were playing outside at least blaugh

Sounds like our Dodge Ball... I came home with many bruises from that game. I would try to stay a target of people I knew did not throw as hard and would try to get hit right away so I did not get run over or bad bruises.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 pm
I remember being online so much on dial-up my family complained they could never get a hold of me.........

I remember dial-up. I moved up to DSL, and I just had to use dial-up a couple weeks ago. I think I remembered why we never had pictures on dial-up.

I used to get a lot of housework done when I had to wait for everything to load on each and every page.  

Eternal_Nysa

Hilarious Gawker

xXDream_in_PinkXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:26 pm
fr34x0r
jiffy pop and pong on atari is still kick a** though...even though I don't like popcorn.

I'm 13 and i still remember making Jiffy pop nad shaking it over the stove feeling like a comeplete retard, and then your hand gets tired after like 5 mins. of the continus shaking they make you do. I mean I have made it like twice ..and to tell you the thruth............its not that good. I would rather just pop the package into the microwave and press the popcon button and be done with it!!!!  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff