Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
L5R - Jade Legacy OOC thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 am
It would probably take me a while to get you a character sheet anyway, but I'll look into one until then.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 am
BegrudginglyGood
Can people still join this one?

Yes, they can. There's a player making a Mantis bushi too.

However, no characters will be able to join until Act 3, which happens at the end of this chapter. So it'll be a little while yet.

How much do you know about the Legend of the Five Rings setting?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm
Not that much, the basics I suppose.

Rokugan setting, clan based samurai bushi, honor code bound mostly.

We wear a mask when in the presence of anyone other than extremely close family or friends, only showing our relaxed true selves to them. Or something along those lines.

I tried to play a Unicorn Utaku Battle Maiden, and might be interest in playing one this time, however I'd probably like to know beforehand what % of the time horses would be getting used.

In the current setting we have spent 90% of the time without a mount, and most of my bonus' are useless.

We use XP to rank up skills and abilities. We can take disadvantages (I think this depends on the GM) if we need more points for advantages or skills.

Stats are ring based, with the ring being the lowest of the two abilities that are associated with it. Health is Earth ring X 2 per level...and there are many levels of taking wounds.

For background and setting information I'll have to read up on what you have specified in the past Acts. I haven't really read into it much, apart from knowing I like the d10 system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:47 pm
It's a really nice system- I'm very fond of it.

As for the background... most of what you should do is look at the text book and read to see what Rokugan's history is like up until the present year (1151 or 1150, I can't seem to recall @_____@) and... someone ought to write up a summary of the game so far. I could give that a shot, but not right at the moment.

And the masks are mostly a Scorpion Clan thing. But most of the samurai DO do the old Japanese thing, don't show too many emotions, some stricter social rules, etc.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 pm
It's currently summer 1151.

Also, as far as mounts go, I will state that this is not Dungeons & Dragons. There are Dragons, but less so Dungeons, the bane of all mounts.

The only time that your mount wouldn't really be useful is in court-heavy scenes, but this is supposed to be a mystery investigationy styled game. Moreso on the supernatural than the mundane.

I think an Utaku Steed would get plenty of use.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm
Awesome. I think you have yourselves a Battle Maiden when Act 3 starts then!

I'll get to work on writing her up, and will PM you what I have to check over if that is okay?

Did you have any ideas for backgrounds or histories so she would fit in with your plans for Act 3?

BegrudginglyGood

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 am
BegrudginglyGood
Awesome. I think you have yourselves a Battle Maiden when Act 3 starts then!

I'll get to work on writing her up, and will PM you what I have to check over if that is okay?

Did you have any ideas for backgrounds or histories so she would fit in with your plans for Act 3?

Remember, I leave for Las Vegas today, and I'll be back on the 31st. I'm going to try to have internet access while I'm at my new house, but that won't be until Saturday, the earliest.

So, trust me, no rush.

As for backgrounds, nope! As long as you realize it's currently 1151.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am
Rest of us would be glad to answer any questions you like! I'd mostly note as a suggestion though, that this game seems to be largely combat/adventure so far (partly because of the theme, and partly because the party is all bushi except one courtier and one shugenja so far) but there's PLENTY of situations to make social/lore skills useful, so when making a character, while you don't need them, keep in mind that we'll end up in court like settings sometimes.

Though social skills end up useful any time there's other people. xp  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:16 pm
That's okay, I hope the move goes well for you. They are annoying at the best of times from my experience.

I just realized when I looked at the character creation that I must not have paid as much attention as I should have. For our starting rank/level, what XP did we get to spend across abilities, skills and advantages?

And we automatically start with 2 per ability right? Meaning our base rings are 2 all around. We get 1 glory and 1 status, and since I'm playing a Battle Maiden I would get a 6.5 honor?

We have a game this Friday, so I might ask then. Or at least I'll have our copy of L5R back. But it will probably take me that long to work this out, so don't worry about me pacing back and forth waiting for you to get back. Most likely it still will need editing.

rolleyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 am
Whoops! Sounds like you have a copy of 4th Edition L5R. In 3rd Edition Revised/3.5 Honor only goes up to rank 5 for some reason, even though glory and status still go to 10.

You are correct that your Traits (the rings and their sub-stats) all start at 2 though, except you should get a +1 bonus from your school and your family.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 am
Yeah. The PDF of L5R 3rd Revised is available at drive through for about 15 dollars or so, at most. It's not too different from 4th, but things are a bit more powerful.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm
Plainsfox
Yeah. The PDF of L5R 3rd Revised is available at drive through for about 15 dollars or so, at most. It's not too different from 4th, but things are a bit more powerful.

Ishygddt paying for pdf's.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm
Mongooseh
Plainsfox

Ishygddt paying for pdf's.

My thought exactly. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:18 pm
The Mantis Bushi dropping in!

I was wondering about names.
^u^ What are the rules on that?

{{ I was thinking Yukimitsu Kouriki thus far... }}  

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm
Well, first you select your family name.

At this point in time, the Mantis has the Yoritomo, the Moshi, and the Tsurichi families. Each family may choose freely between any of the schools the Clan offers, within certain exceptions. (Although from the base book, only the Utaku Battlemaiden suffers from any real restrictions) Generally, they gravitate towards schools their families provide, but this is just preference and affinity NOT a hard rule.

For example, if you wish your character to be a Tsurichi Archer or a Moshi shugenja while he or she is of the Yoritomo family, that's fine. However, should you wish for your character to join the Bayushi Bushi school (in example) that's gonna cost an advantage.

On the personal name side, Japanese names are good, and if you wish something different, there's always the Gaijin name disadvantage to consider.  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games