Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
L5R - Jade Legacy OOC thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm
So, does that mean I have to take the family name?
Can I just have a generic name of that pretend time period?

Besides purely aesthetic things, my character is already done.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm
As a general, yes. Because once a family or a samurai is accepted into a clan, they become part of that clan. It's kind of a pride thing as well as acknowledgement that they are indeed part of the Major Clan and not just some little random ronin who isn't worth the notice.

Plus if you're not a member of a family, then you don't get that family's trait bonus.  

Tei Kae

Distinct Genius

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm
Yeah, hate to say it, but in L5R which family you come from isn't an asthetic detail, it's actually an integral part of both where your character fits into the game world, and sometimes of their stats and the like.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 pm
To further complicate things, there are vassal names...which are sometimes granted to septs (sub families) that perform useful and distinct purposes or are awarded for a grand honor.

For example, if my Bushi belonged to the Sasuke vassal family, (just making it up) He would be addressed as Bayushi Kojiro no Sasuke in extremely formal situations, or just Bayushi Kojiro.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 am
Alright then, last name change go!

^u^ Not that much of a change. It's probably better off for my character this way, anyways. Going by his before-name might cause problems.

Thanks for answering my question~  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 am
xX_Terei_Xx
Alright then, last name change go!

^u^ Not that much of a change. It's probably better off for my character this way, anyways. Going by his before-name might cause problems.

Thanks for answering my question~

No one really cares what your name means. Kagae is completely made up by me as far as I am aware of. I personally haven't bothered to find out the meanings of everyone elses names can't say for the rest of them.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am
Mongooseh

No one really cares what your name means. Kagae is completely made up by me as far as I am aware of. I personally haven't bothered to find out the meanings of everyone elses names can't say for the rest of them.

? I never....mentioned meanings....? =w=;; ?
I was just saying that I needed to change Yukimitsu's last name to Yoritomo.

But Kagae (in Jap, at least) means to change over.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:14 pm
xX_Terei_Xx
The Mantis Bushi dropping in!

I was wondering about names.
^u^ What are the rules on that?

{{ I was thinking Yukimitsu Kouriki thus far... }}

You could be a vassal family of the Yoritomo family. You can read up on vassal families here.

Most importantly, this example here:

Quote:
For example, Naoko Sahijir was a member of the Naoko family, vassals of the Utaku family of the Unicorn Clan. To those within the Unicorn, she was known as Naoko Sahijir, as they were immediately aware of the relation of the Naoko and Utaku families. To those outside the Unicorn clan, Sahijir would be known most simply as Utaku Sahijir. If she wished to recognize her own family, particularly if she wished to be formal, she might introduce herself as "Utaku Sahijir of House Naoko" or as "Utaku Sahijir of Naoko." [1]

If an outsider was visiting the lands of the Unicorn, these protocol would remain the same, unless that visitor was within the holdings of the Naoko family. In such a case, Sahijir could refer to herself as "Naoko Sahijir," as it would be assumed that the visitor would know he was in the lands of the Utaku family and would already know of their relation with the Naoko. [1]

So you could be Yukimitsu Kouriki when you're in Mantis lands and in company of just Mantis, but otherwise you would refer to yourself as Yoritomo Kouriki. If you wanted to be super formal, you could call yourself Yoritomo Kouriki of House Yukimitsu.

Generally, favoring your vassal family over the major family that has power in the clan would be a grave insult to them, since you technically serve them. By using their family name, it is a sign of great respect. Just like how they use the name of their founding kami or other important member, as a sign of respect to that person/ancestor.

And Mongooseh, be nice razz He came in with legitimate questions, there's no reason to be like that.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm
Why do people read what I say with tones in mind?!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am
^u^ Thank you, Rain.

My character sheet is ready to go now~
All that's left is to wait .w.  

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 pm
It's only a shame I wasn't capable of making a fourth raise without blowing a void on it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 am
*steeples fingers*

*watches*  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 am
Something interesting I've found

http://l5r.lynks.se/probability/#r7k4  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 am
Plainsfox
Something interesting I've found

http://l5r.lynks.se/probability/#r7k4

A white screen that only says "This page contains interactive elements, to use it you need to activate JavaScript." on it?

That's... not all that interesting...

Yes, I already have JavaScript enabled.  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games